FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AptosDad

Speaking of cellar-dwellers, does anyone have any news on the Mass Maritime/MIT scrimmage?

63Center

Hartwick did not beat EC, EC beat themselves.  EC had more total yards and more time of possession than Hartwick, but EC also had more penalties and turnovers, which is what beat them in the end.  Of course none of that matters, what matters is the final score and Hartwick lead where it counts.  EC will need to work on their mental game and elimiate stupid penalties and costly turnovers if they expect to have any kind of chance against RPI.

Longtooth

D3 Fan

footballfan2005

This topic is a bit late but i've been out of town since Saturday morning..

I attend the Worcester State/Curry game last firday night.  A few things about the game... Teams that play @ Curry should be aware of the advantages they try to give themselves... one being the Music... everytime Worcester had a third or fourth down possession the music would be playing until after the ball was snapped... apparently the refs were notified and the problem was corrected in the second half... however, I found it very disrespectful to both teams... b/c the Curry weren't at fault.

Second, Worcester State played a sloppy game and probably should have won the game if it hadn't been for a few questionable calls by the refs.  The biggest being an overturned touchdown w/6 minutes left in the fourth; which followed by a fumble and a touchback... not to mention the penalties and poor coaching causing them to use all their time-outs and have the play clock expire several times.

My prediction for Worcester State is that they fix the little mistakes and win their Bogan division and meet Curry at the end of the season in the championship game.  Although, Curry has a lot of work to do before they regain their form we're all use to the past few seasons.  Worcester State looked dangerous in the 2nd half when  Kyle Beatrice (19 for 38 1int   285yards  2TD's) took control of the Worcester offense and the Defense held Curry to 3 points.  Should be another intersting season in the NEFC!!

D3 Fan

63 center, do you play at EC?  Regardless, how you win or lose is irrelevant!  Turnovers, penalties, and 1000 other things are part of the game.  Some you can control and some you can't....  On any given day things happen that lead to a victory or a lose. The best team doesn't always win and the worse doesn't always loose...

I've mentioned several times about EC's quality win over UMD last year but not once have I mentioned the 5 turnovers (3 inside the 20), the 15 dropped passes or the 3 missed field goals by UMD.  (The score was 0-0 after regulation)  When you're coaching and analyzing the game those things are important but when it comes to the final score who cares.  A win is a win regardless...  The other stuff become excuses as to why you lost...  Excuses don't help you become a better team.

My opinion!!!!!

Anyone have any picks this week?

frank uible

What is it that Grantland Rice had to say about winning and losing?

D3 Fan

Many times how you play the game directly results in a win or a loss Frank.  Grantland was talking about sportsmanship I think we were hinting towards execution.  But...How you represent yourself on and off the field (work ethic, sportsmanship, teamwork...) are the most important aspects of football at this level.  Those lessons will carry over for a life time!

63Center

D3 Fan,  no I do not play for EC, and I was not making excuses.  I agree with everything you said.  A lot of folks are using the one game (EC losing to Hartwick) to say that Hartwick is a better team than EC.  I agree that last Sat. Hartwick was the better team,  but just like EC might have been the better team on the day they beat UMD last year, one could argue that the loss by UMD to EC was not so much EC outplaying UMD as it was to UMD mistakes.  You are right, it doesn't matter how or why you lost, a loss is a loss and a win is a win, but based on one closely contested game you can't say that one team is the better team.  That is why they play t he season.  I am sure that a lot of people would not consider TCU to be better than OK, but TCU beat OK.  Mistakes are a part of the game and can cost you the game and in the end as you say all anyone will remember is that EC lost to Hartwick.

That's my opinion.  I'll have my picks later today, but I can tell you now, I will NOT be picking EC to beat RPI.

63Center

OK, here are my picks for this week as we finally get everyone playing.

Westfield 28  WNEC 7
MIT 21 Framingham 7
USCGA 35 MA Maritime 7
Salve 28 NY Maritime 14
RPI 42 EC 14
MT. Ida 35 ME Maritime 7
UMD 35 Pymouth St. 0
Bridgewater St. 35 Nichols 14
Fitchburg 20 Curry 18
Worcester 18 WPI 14

I think the two big games for the weekend are Curry at Fitchburg and the two Worcester schools.  I give Fitchburg a slight advantage being at home, but this game is a toss-up and may be the precursor to the NEFC championship again.  I give Worcester a slight edge over WPI because they have one game under their belt already.  The rest of the games look like blow-outs to me.

AptosDad

63Center,
I'm curious what you might know about MIT.  True, their opponent hasn't won a game in 2 years, but are you basing your pick on anything else?

63Center

AptosDad,

I based it the fact that Framingham has not won a game in the last two years and the fact that D3Football.com ranked Framingham as 231 out of 231.  Other than that I don't have any other good reasons.  My picks aren't always based on much logic.  Just ask the guys who thought I was nuts last week when I picked Endicott to beat Hartwick.

AptosDad

63Center,
Thanks for your feedback, and nobody is right all the time. Actually, Framingham State's ranking isn't as bad as you believe.  They're 211, not 231.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

cwilliams