ECACs

Started by AUKaz00, November 16, 2008, 09:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstate

Looks like Fenti is a go but Nigolian is not...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

gordonmann

Interesting decision by the ECAC to host all of their regional games in one spot -- Central Connecticut State.

http://www.ecacsports.com/ECACD3FBFEST/ECAC_D3_FB_FEST_release_1

jknezek

Quote from: gordonmann on October 15, 2015, 01:07:49 PM
Interesting decision by the ECAC to host all of their regional games in one spot -- Central Connecticut State.

http://www.ecacsports.com/ECACD3FBFEST/ECAC_D3_FB_FEST_release_1

That could be interesting for attendance reasons... I can only imagine the line up on campus to buy the ticket allotment. It's going to look like Krzyzewskiville right?

D3MAFAN

That's awesome news. As aforementioned, it may help with attendance. Nevertheless, the experience of both teams having to travel and play at a neutral site, makes it more interesting.

ExTartanPlayer

I don't think they'll get huge attendance at CCSU, but it's been my impression that they probably don't get much when hosting them on campuses anyway (my ECAC game back at CMU was very, very sparsely attended...it was right before Thanksgiving break and the weather sucked, but still, it was maybe a quarter of what we normally drew).  Might as well turn it into a weekend-long bonanza and see if anyone decides to stick around for more than just their team's game.  It would be cool if they had some sort of group dinners or something for the teams and parents who do make the trip.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

wally_wabash

Does the ECAC pay for travel?
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

AUPepBand

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 15, 2015, 01:48:39 PM

Pep believes that traveling teams receive some sort of stipend to help with cost.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUPepBand

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on October 15, 2015, 01:38:39 PM
That's awesome news. As aforementioned, it may help with attendance. Nevertheless, the experience of both teams having to travel and play at a neutral site, makes it more interesting.

Pep doubts it will help much with attendance. Northeast weather in late November can be a deterrent. But, as was mentioned, some dedicated D3 fans may make a weekend party of it, provided there are a few teams they are interested in seeing. Mind you, NCAA playoffs occur that Saturday with 12 noon kickoffs, traditionally.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AUPepBand on October 15, 2015, 02:20:16 PM

Pep believes that traveling teams receive some sort of stipend to help with cost.

Now that twice as many teams are traveling, I wonder what will happen there. I know there have been teams in the past that have declined to put their names in for postseason bids because of the cost of traveling, let alone staying overnight. A lot of schools are overnight from CCSU.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bombers798891

I'd also wonder if some of this might have to do with schools struggling to find student workers to help with the game, given the timing of Thanksgiving Break.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 15, 2015, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on October 15, 2015, 02:20:16 PM

Now that twice as many teams are traveling, I wonder what will happen there. I know there have been teams in the past that have declined to put their names in for postseason bids because of the cost of traveling, let alone staying overnight. A lot of schools are overnight from CCSU.

That would definitely be an overnight for Alfred...likely a 6 hour drive, much like Springfield was. And, the chance of getting a band to travel that distance is remote, but some band alumni from the Boston area, just a 2 1/2 hour ride, would welcome a chance to play for the Saxons again!

Would Pep make the trip? Were it a week later, Pep definitely would. Currently making plans to be near Hartford, CT for Thanksgiving this year to be with Mrs. Pep's relatives.

NED3Guy

Fairly confident that the ECAC does not help with the travel costs for these games. This is the reason for the steady decline of the number of teams declaring for ECAC bowl eligibility.

Some very interesting stuff on the 2015 declaration form regarding ticket sales and expenses:

http://www.ecacsports.com/ECACD3FBFEST/2015_Football_Bowl_Championships_Declaration_Form_-_UPDATED

Here's the best part for those of you who don't click the link....

Committment of Declaration
By submitting this form, if you are selected to participate you are agreeing to the following:

Institution agrees be available to play on any of the three dates at any of the given times listed above under Championship Dates/Times
Insitition agrees to sell a minimum of 300 tickets at $10 per ticket
Institution agrees to provide proper staffing for their own will-call table at ticket booth
Institution chosen as the higher-seed will be considered the home team and agrees to provide SID support for stat-crew and game story
Institution is responsible for own lodging arrangements and agrees to stay at Host Hotel (information to be provided on Selection Monday)
Institution agrees to use ECAC transportation vendor 
If selected, institution agrees to supply all necessary pre-game information to ECAC Marketing & Communications no later than 6pm on Tuesday, November 17
high resolution logo
full season re-cap
alpha & numeric rosters
60 second institutional or athletic commercial spot
60 second video footage of team to be used in broad cast open
30 minute window with head coach for interview

Easy to see why a team would opt to not be a part of these money grabbing games.....and why the selection pool has seemed pretty weak in recent years.

Frank Rossi

Quote from: NED3Guy on October 15, 2015, 06:00:18 PM
Fairly confident that the ECAC does not help with the travel costs for these games. This is the reason for the steady decline of the number of teams declaring for ECAC bowl eligibility.

Some very interesting stuff on the 2015 declaration form regarding ticket sales and expenses:

http://www.ecacsports.com/ECACD3FBFEST/2015_Football_Bowl_Championships_Declaration_Form_-_UPDATED

Here's the best part for those of you who don't click the link....

Committment of Declaration
By submitting this form, if you are selected to participate you are agreeing to the following:

Institution agrees be available to play on any of the three dates at any of the given times listed above under Championship Dates/Times
Insitition agrees to sell a minimum of 300 tickets at $10 per ticket
Institution agrees to provide proper staffing for their own will-call table at ticket booth
Institution chosen as the higher-seed will be considered the home team and agrees to provide SID support for stat-crew and game story
Institution is responsible for own lodging arrangements and agrees to stay at Host Hotel (information to be provided on Selection Monday)
Institution agrees to use ECAC transportation vendor 
If selected, institution agrees to supply all necessary pre-game information to ECAC Marketing & Communications no later than 6pm on Tuesday, November 17
high resolution logo
full season re-cap
alpha & numeric rosters
60 second institutional or athletic commercial spot
60 second video footage of team to be used in broad cast open
30 minute window with head coach for interview

Easy to see why a team would opt to not be a part of these money grabbing games.....and why the selection pool has seemed pretty weak in recent years.

There has not been a decline in teams -- with the surge in viable New England teams, the ECAC North Region has seen a major bounce over the past five years.  The ECAC South Region has also had sufficient teams in the last few years.  A few teams have opted out due to costs, yes, but there have been several replacements.  In addition, there has been a forced gate that is intended to split revenues between the teams.

NED3Guy

I was mistaken with my comment regarding ECAC bowls, and declining numbers. They're getting enough teams to fill their games, but are top level, just missed NCAA teams putting in for ECAC games?

I just assumed that less teams were declaring for bowls when I saw so many 6-4 teams being selected for games in recent years.

Hopefully this new format will allow for some better mixed region games.

Time will tell.

jackson5

Interesting idea.

The main issue with these games are that no one cares. All these teams thought they were NCAA bound until very often only 2-3 weeks before the game. Most players would rather just have the season end then have another week of practice in 30 or 40 degree weather just for a game that doesn't mean anything. And it's not just in football that there's this problem,  all the sports have this issue, although it's worse in the others where teams lose in conference tournament a few days prior and assume their season is over.