Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Started by ccd494, August 24, 2009, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxer7806

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 06, 2014, 01:22:47 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 06, 2014, 12:53:04 PM
Not trolling here, serious question: Is the ECFC going to do anything come playoff time? I thought that Gallaudet was legitimately a pretty solid team last season, and was hoping the conference was finally making some strides.

But it kind of seems like the conference has backslid a little bit, at least in looking at the schedule/results of Husson. What's the story with the conference this year?

I think it depends on the first-round draw.  The ECFC (much like the NEFC a couple of years ago) has a few just-short-of-good teams that could compete with the right playoff opponent.  For whatever it's worth, Norwich went 2-1 against the Liberty League (20-point loss to 4-4 RPI and a pair of 10-7 wins over 7-1 SLU and 3-5 WPI).  That probably doesn't have the East's top teams quaking in their boots but it shows they can compete with somebody outside of their league.  By extension, Husson beat Norwich, so I'd think they could also similarly compete with middling LL teams and others of that ilk.

If Husson/Norwich draws a Fisher or Hobart, they'll get the doors blown off.  But Husson and Norwich are probably capable of competing with an MIT, or Framingham State, or maybe even a Montclair State (despite their NJAC-front-runner status, they seem to be a bit Jekyll-and-Hyde).  I think back to Framingham State drawing Cortland State a few years ago...Melikke Van Alstyne went all Beast Mode and FSU came very close to beating Cortland, but if they'd drawn a better first-round opponent they would have lost by 60 and we'd all grumble about (then NEFC) teams getting an AQ.

(FWIW, Bridgewater State got a Pool C bid from the NEFC that year, and that was completely ridiculous)

If Husson does not compete with MIT, then this conference is in some huge trouble.

lewdogg11

Quote from: Boxer7806 on November 18, 2014, 07:22:45 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 06, 2014, 01:22:47 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 06, 2014, 12:53:04 PM
Not trolling here, serious question: Is the ECFC going to do anything come playoff time? I thought that Gallaudet was legitimately a pretty solid team last season, and was hoping the conference was finally making some strides.

But it kind of seems like the conference has backslid a little bit, at least in looking at the schedule/results of Husson. What's the story with the conference this year?

I think it depends on the first-round draw.  The ECFC (much like the NEFC a couple of years ago) has a few just-short-of-good teams that could compete with the right playoff opponent.  For whatever it's worth, Norwich went 2-1 against the Liberty League (20-point loss to 4-4 RPI and a pair of 10-7 wins over 7-1 SLU and 3-5 WPI).  That probably doesn't have the East's top teams quaking in their boots but it shows they can compete with somebody outside of their league.  By extension, Husson beat Norwich, so I'd think they could also similarly compete with middling LL teams and others of that ilk.

If Husson/Norwich draws a Fisher or Hobart, they'll get the doors blown off.  But Husson and Norwich are probably capable of competing with an MIT, or Framingham State, or maybe even a Montclair State (despite their NJAC-front-runner status, they seem to be a bit Jekyll-and-Hyde).  I think back to Framingham State drawing Cortland State a few years ago...Melikke Van Alstyne went all Beast Mode and FSU came very close to beating Cortland, but if they'd drawn a better first-round opponent they would have lost by 60 and we'd all grumble about (then NEFC) teams getting an AQ.

(FWIW, Bridgewater State got a Pool C bid from the NEFC that year, and that was completely ridiculous)

If Husson does not compete with MIT, then this conference is in some huge trouble.

Not sure what 'trouble' they might be in.  But my guess is MIT will win this handily.

JS342

What is the best conference in New England? (NESCAC not eligible because who knows?)
NEFC - MASCAC or ECFC

fulbakdad

You left one out.  Liberty League has a couple New England teams in it (Springfield and WPI).  And they would be the top.  MASCAC and NEFC are pretty comparable IMHO.  But they were the same league just a couple years ago.....ECFC is below.

ccd494

Norwich is headed to the NEWMAC.  The ECFC is down to seven teams.  It will be interesting to see how stable the ECFC membership is, if anyone gets poached the league is in trouble.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/04/08/sports/maine-maritime-academy-to-join-new-football-league-in-2017/?ref=SportsBox

jackson5

I don't have much faith in the ECFC staying together. NEFC is all teams that are in the same conference for everything else. It'll be much easier for the Liberty League to add a team from the ECFC whose only ties are football then it will be from the MASCAC or NEFC.

skratch29

Really excited for the season to get under way. I think that some of the top tier teams should have some really good early season tests and can maybe pull of an upset or two. I think the conference will come down to Husson or castleton.

AUPepBand

Quote from: skratch29 on September 01, 2015, 09:24:54 PM
Really excited for the season to get under way. I think that some of the top tier teams should have some really good early season tests and can maybe pull of an upset or two. I think the conference will come down to Husson or castleton.

Are you a Husson fan? Will you be going to the Alfred game this Saterday? Pep is hoping the Saxons get off the bus before halftime and can make a game of it. It's a long trip and the Eagles would like nothing better than to make the ride home even longer for the Saxons. AU was Husson's lone regular season loss last season and from the looks of it, the Eagles are loaded this year and eager to get off on the right foot. AU struggled after a good start last season, losing 5 of their last 7.

By the way, the Eagles will practically chase the Saxons home as they will be in Alfred on Sept. 12 to take on the Alfred State Pioneers up on the hill while down in the valley, AU is battling RPI.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 01, 2015, 11:11:08 PM
Quote from: skratch29 on September 01, 2015, 09:24:54 PM

Are you a Husson fan? Will you be going to the Alfred game this Saterday? Pep is hoping the Saxons get off the bus before halftime and can make a game of it. It's a long trip and the Eagles would like nothing better than to make the ride home even longer for the Saxons. AU was Husson's lone regular season loss last season and from the looks of it, the Eagles are loaded this year and eager to get off on the right foot. AU struggled after a good start last season, losing 5 of their last 7.

By the way, the Eagles will practically chase the Saxons home as they will be in Alfred on Sept. 12 to take on the Alfred State Pioneers up on the hill while down in the valley, AU is battling RPI.

On Saxon Warriors!

The Husson vs. Alfred game will be a good indicator for both teams to see how each has improved. I am more curious to see if Alfred can get back to its winning ways.

NED3Guy

Husson will be loaded this year. They didn't loose much from last year. Because of some lopsided wins, they were able to get game experience to a lot of guys, and will easily fill in any holes they have.

If you take away Castleton's season of suspensions when they went 1-9, they are a program that has been on a steady upward trend. Many in the senior class were freshmen starters on the 6-4 team (*actually went 7-4 but had to vacate a week 1 win due to an ineligible player playing in the game) that played in an ECAC bowl three seasons ago. They return almost their entire defense, entire OL, and all all conference QB and according to the ATR article this week; they have some good young running backs in camp.Lost a lot at WR (including ECFC Player of the Year), but they should be an exciting team to watch.

Never can sleep on Norwich or Ida. Both are well coached teams who have enough athletes year in and year out to be in every game they play.

This league has sent a different champion to the NCAA tournament in each of its 5 AQ years (SUNY, Norwich, Ida, Gall., Husson). Will Castleton make it 6?

Final week of the season with Ida v Husson and Norwich v Castleton will be HUGE. A lot of ball to play between now and then, but I think anybody who follows this league would have to admit that those end of season games will decide it all.

skratch29

No I'm actually a castleton university fan. I just think Husson will have a good team this year and it will be a tough test to possibly beat them at home. Also hope that Norwich and Husson who have the hardest out of conference games can make some noise for the conference this year.

Can't wait for the season to start!!

d3fan142511

As a ECFC fan...I know not alot of them out there :D   I have to agree with NED3guy with his overview. I think Husson and Castleton are the top two teams in the conference this year on paper. I believe the Castleton QB is going to have a year like there QB in 2012 had were he led them to the win and in championship game vs Ida. They will score alot of points. There problem is always the defense, but that has been improving the last couple of years.

Husson with Coach Price is loaded again and i will be interested if they can pull off a big upset vs Alfred in week 1. They should have never lost that game vs MIT in the playoffs. Awful Penalty on the coach to set up MIT game tying FG.

Ida who has never finished below third in the conference or had a losing record will always be tough with their defense and Coach Landers always has them prepared and ready to play. I expect them to start really clicking come conference time and can be 2-1 heading into ECFC play.

Norwich like Ida always will be up there and very competitive.

Galludet/SUNY both go on how well they can run the triple. Always will ahve solid defense but both these teams will struggle if they cannot move the ball.

Becker and Anna Maria will be the bottom 2 again.

Looking forward to a great year in the East Region. I will be at West Conn vs Union next week. My buddy plays for Union.

d3fan142511

Week 1 Predictions:

Anna Maria at Coast Guard- Coast Guard 27-10

Becker at Fitchburg St- Fitchburg 45-7

MOunt Ida at UMASS-Dart- Mount Ida 17-14

Norwich at RPI- RPI 24-17

Maine Maritime at SUNY- SUNY 27-24

Alfred at Husson - Alfred 24-21..I really want to Pick Husson here.

Gallaudet at Shenandoah- Shen 35-14

Castelton at Plymouth- Castleton 35-14

AUPepBand

Quote from: d3fan142511 on September 03, 2015, 11:14:11 AM
Week 1 Predictions:

Anna Maria at Coast Guard- Coast Guard 27-10

Becker at Fitchburg St- Fitchburg 45-7

MOunt Ida at UMASS-Dart- Mount Ida 17-14

Norwich at RPI- RPI 24-17

Maine Maritime at SUNY- SUNY 27-24

Alfred at Husson - Alfred 24-21..I really want to Pick Husson here.

Gallaudet at Shenandoah- Shen 35-14

Castelton at Plymouth- Castleton 35-14

What's stopping you? Alfred was 3-0 to start the 2014 season and ended up 5-5, losing at least TWO games it should have won, while pulling out a rare 23-21 win at Salisbury on a last second field goal, or the Saxons would have finished 4-6.

Pep certainly hopes the Saxons, who were actually pretty young last year, can return to the form that last year had them on a nice 3-0 start. AU will need to take care of the ball on offense and not let anyone get behind them on defense. But if the Saxons turn it over like they did later last season, look for the Eagles to open with a home win. AU has plenty of arsenal in the offense and Pep is hoping the Saxons click.

Go A-U!!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

NED3Guy

No idea what to expect in a lot of the games this weekend. But here are some thoughts:

I think Husson / Alfred and Ida / UMD both come down to the last possession.... With both ECFC teams holding on to win.

Norwich hangs with RPI for three quarters, then the heat will make it a game about depth and RPI pulls away.

Castleton should be able to get their starters resting by halftime.

SUNY and Maine Maritime will combine for less than 5 pass attempts... Who knows what the outcome will be....?

Not sure about the other games, so I won't even bother to speculate.

Happy opening weekend to all!