Cortaca 2013

Started by Jonny Utah, November 15, 2013, 08:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Ok it is a little late but here goes.......

-Who has more motivation for this game?  From reading some of the around the east notes on the Ithaca season, it seems like the Ithaca kids are saying the right things, and more importantly, doing the right things.  It's nice to see an Ithaca team win the games they need to win to get to this point.  Real funny to see that they were basically one crappy loss away from an undefeated season, and probably the first ever?

-Weather report for tomorrow?  Although I haven't been to Ithaca in over 5 years, the grass could be a factor.  As nice as it looks in August (probably the nicest field in the country in my biased opinion), the grass can get sloppy in November.  Will warm temps today loosen up that soil?

-As for playing on that surface, I always thought it would give the defense (Ithaca) the advantage, but that never seems to be the case in Cortaca games.  Loose turf sometimes hurts the defense if defenders/tacklers are falling down.

-Is Cortland a defeated team? Can they get up for this game?  What is the inside scoop on what this team is about?

-And finally, are there enough Phys Ed. jobs for the 2014-2015 school year available for Cortland football players who are thinking about their future careers?

AUKaz00

I'm just disappointed that this thread bumped the "2010 Alfland Mug" thread to the second page.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

Bombers798891

Ithaca's got to be the more motivated team. A win practically guarantees a home playoff game in the first round. Given the teams likely to be in the bracket (Outside of Mount and Hobart) and Ithaca's limitations, home field could very well be the difference in a game against Gallaudet or Rowan—just to throw a couple of names out there. 10-2 looks a heck of a lot better than 8-3. I've heard stories of a playoff-bound IC team of year's past letting a loss to Cortland just take the wind out of the sails, and though it was awhile ago, you never really know how guys are going to react.

I mean, you could argue the whole "Cortland's the underdog" thing, but they've also won the last three jugs, and in some ways, I think that gives Ithaca underdog status in the rivalry.

What struck me about Cortland is that their special teams unit might be better than Ithaca's. Their kicker is 10X11 on FGs, 7-for-8 on kicks longer than 30 yards. He's also got 19 touchbacks.

Cortland's return game will be interesting. They have three touchdowns on kick returns, but two of those TD's were by guys who don't seem to be the primary returners (Peebles has returned two of his six kicks for 80+ yards). Autera also has a 97-yard TD return, but he's averaging just 16.8 yards on his other 25 returns. Contrast that to Carney for Ithaca who, after his longest is taken out, is averaging 24.5 yards on 12 returns.

In short, I think Cortland might be dangerous to break a kick, but if they don't, they could struggle with field position.

Offensively, Cortland's sort of a one-man show passing-wise. John Babin is flat out nasty. 64-1,000-11 nasty. But the rest of the passing game? Color me unimpressed. The two other receivers the Red Dragons started in their last game, Nate Burgo and Joel Nunez, have a combined 16 catches for 206 yards on the season. I don't know if Ithaca can cover Babin, but I feel confident they'll be okay with the rest of them.

Running wise, I just don't think Cortland's very good. Taking out Hughes (since Grassi started last game and Hughes didn't play, this seems logical), you have Autera and Peebles, who have combined for 796 yards rushing. Which isn't bad except 304, or 40 percent of those yards came against Morrisville State last week. Since Morrisville allows about 85 rushing yards more per game than Ithaca, I think it might be an exception, not a rule. Autera had 75 carries for 223 yards heading into the Morrisville game and Peeples had 70 for 270.

I don't know, maybe Grassi's the difference maker in the offense, because he gets Babin going. But again, it's not like Morrisville State plays defense like Ithaca does.

Defensively, Cortland's got a great line (34 sacks in 9 games) which has been the key to their dominance of Ithaca. The secondary looks a little suspect though. Despite 15 interceptions, they're allowing 60% of passes to be completed, and have given up 18 TDs. Contrasting to Ithaca, the Bombers have allowed just 53% of passes to be completed and given up just 8 TD's, despite a mediocre pass rush (18 sacks in, if we're being honest, 8 games).

This feels like a 20-16 game where there are five field goals, two of the three touchdowns are special teams scores (or directly set up by a big special teams play) and the team that has the one breakdown or dumb penalty on defense loses

dlippiel

This is a tough game for the Bombers. Cortland is playing to validate their season and nothing would make the Snooki punching Red Dragons happier than to defeat their NCAA bound rivals. Dlip remembers 2006 six well when NCAA bound Union faced rival RPI on 86 field and lost. The loss absolutely deflated the Dutchmen and Dlip strongly believes played a role in the Dutchmen getting their asses handed to them at SJF in the first round the following week. Dlip real hopes that does not happen to IC.

cstate19

Cstate is sad.....Cstate is sad that this years post has three replies the Friday night before the game.....Cstate is sad that a broken ankle will cause him to miss only the second Cortaca since 2003 his freshman year.....Cstate is sad because after his sister graduates this year he will have no ticket connections on campus which means cortaca is in jeopardy because every drunk kid who doesn't know the starting QB gets a ticket but the alumni who care about football are shut out....

Cstate will be happy with a Red Dragon win.

Bombers798891

Quote from: cstate19 on November 15, 2013, 07:52:03 PM
Cstate is sad.....Cstate is sad that this years post has three replies the Friday night before the game.....Cstate is sad that a broken ankle will cause him to miss only the second Cortaca since 2003 his freshman year.....Cstate is sad because after his sister graduates this year he will have no ticket connections on campus which means cortaca is in jeopardy because every drunk kid who doesn't know the starting QB gets a ticket but the alumni who care about football are shut out....

Cstate will be happy with a Red Dragon win.

I can always hook you up with a ticket. Message me next year if you need one

dlippiel

Dlip loves the offer to share here between the Bomber and Red Dragon!  :o

tecmobowler

Cortland is a horrible place.
Thousands of fans join in the revelry, showing their Bomber pride and support for the football team. Some fans take the rowdiness a little too far, however, by starting fights, damaging property and tipping Port-a-Potties. -Ithacan, November 10th

AUPepBand

Quote from: tecmobowler on November 16, 2013, 06:32:35 AM
Cortland is a horrible place.

Can a place with an apple named after it be so horrible?

Cort·land  [kawrt-luhnd]  noun
a city in central New York.

Cort·land  [kawrt-luhnd] noun
1.  a crisp, red variety of apple.
2.  a tree bearing this fruit.
Origin:  1940–45;  Americanism

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Jonny Utah

7-0 Cortland, late in the 1st quarter.  #60 for Cortland holds on the TD run but it wasn't called.

Ah well.

Jonny Utah

I love these student reporters.  They always bring up some weird stat they think will be a factor.

The IC one said something about the Hartwick game was the only game this year where Ithaca didn't score first and they lost.....until last week where SU scored first and they won. 

BomberJeff

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 16, 2013, 12:31:42 PM
I love these student reporters.  They always bring up some weird stat they think will be a factor.

The IC one said something about the Hartwick game was the only game this year where Ithaca didn't score first and they lost.....until last week where SU scored first and they won.

Yeah, that was slightly bizarre.  Always fun to see how the students will try to impress.

And once again, special teams creating offense.  It is amazing to see, I just hope Ithaca doesn't need that every week to win now.

cstate19

Great game so far

YIKES! McNeil narrowly avoids being the goat there.....terrible decision at the end of the half....HUGE drive for the bombers to get to 14-14.......Auteras fumble was a killer.....looked like IC had no answer for Cortlands overload blitz early but they seem to have adjusted (#21 making some nice cut blocks)

In for a great second half

Jonny Utah

Is anyone else watching these three Ithaca students talking about the first half of this game?

It is pure comedy.

Jonny Utah

And you know what, since these three idiots continue to question the play of the players, I feel I have the right to say something about them.

They are horrible, and if there was an E8 for student reporters, they would be the 2004 Norwich of that E8.