The End of Cortaca

Started by Bombers798891, November 18, 2013, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 21, 2013, 02:00:21 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 21, 2013, 01:48:52 PM
First the good news. The game is not going anywhere:

http://theithacan.org/35331

The bad news however, was the attendance figure: 6,500. Let's look at the Ithaca-only attendance for Cortaca:

2001: 12,620 (school-record)
2007: 9,700
2009: 9,700
2013: 6,500

I couldn't find the others, but this points to a disturbing picture that the article mentions: This game isn't about football anymore. Saturday was a beautiful day. Sunny, probably around 50 degrees. And the Cortland attendance was pitiful. But clearly, it's better to drink in Cortland than watch football in Ithaca

They have made it extremely difficult to get tickets though too.  Every other year or so I'll throw the football program a small donation ($50 to $250) and for that I usually only request a few tickets to a game if I ask to come up.  The coaches always hook me up, but the Cortland game was tough to get even on their end.  I can only assume it was pretty hard for students or at least friends of students.

I disagree with this. The Ithaca College athletic homepage announced ticket purchasing procedures a month before the game, complete with a link to alumni ticket purchasing, which I believe 225 people got tickets from in two days:

http://bombers.ithaca.edu/news/2013/10/7/FB_1007131735.aspx

Cortland's Web site announced it about three weeks prior to the game.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 21, 2013, 03:16:18 PM

The bad news however, was the attendance figure: 6,500. Let's look at the Ithaca-only attendance for Cortaca:

I couldn't find the others, but this points to a disturbing picture that the article mentions: This game isn't about football anymore. Saturday was a beautiful day. Sunny, probably around 50 degrees. And the Cortland attendance was pitiful. But clearly, it's better to drink in Cortland than watch football in Ithaca

They have made it extremely difficult to get tickets though too.  Every other year or so I'll throw the football program a small donation ($50 to $250) and for that I usually only request a few tickets to a game if I ask to come up.  The coaches always hook me up, but the Cortland game was tough to get even on their end.  I can only assume it was pretty hard for students or at least friends of students.

I disagree with this. The Ithaca College athletic homepage announced ticket purchasing procedures a month before the game, complete with a link to alumni ticket purchasing, which I believe 225 people got tickets from in two days:

http://bombers.ithaca.edu/news/2013/10/7/FB_1007131735.aspx

Cortland's Web site announced it about three weeks prior to the game.

Oh you can get two tickets if you plan it the right way ahead of time, but you used to be able to by 10 tickets for 100 bucks two days before the game.  I never know for sure if I can make it or not, and I'm sure a lot of others wait until a few days befor ethe game to get tickets too.  They limited the number of tickets each school could sell about 10-15 years ago.

Knightstalker

Quote from: AUPepBand on November 18, 2013, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: Upstate on November 18, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
Well that escalated quickly!

I'd keep the game but only allot 1000 tickets to each school, seriously how many people do each teams draw to games outside Cortaca?

Or play it at the Dome up the road that can handle all the foot and vehicle traffic.

The game itself is not the issue. Pep has not heard a report of problems at the game held in Ithaca. The problems were in Cortland where the 1,000 partiers at some eight student-occupied houses along Clayton Avenue spilled out onto the streets. Pep actually knew of at least two AU students who were invited by friends to "Cortaca" but who did not attend the game in Ithaca, but watched it in Cortland. Of 80 persons arrested in Cortland, only 19 were Cortland students...

What has happened is Cortaca has turned into a "party day" and friends from other colleges are invited to the big bash, much as Alfred University and Alfred State College students are joined by their friends from other colleges for Hot Dog Day, which also drew much criticism by local residents back in late April. As in Cortland, the majority of those arrested in Alfred during Hot Dog Day festivities were neither AU or ASC students, according to the local police chief.

It's actually a discredit to the fine football teams at Ithaca and Cortland because the public drunkenness and debauchery is a distraction from the game itself.

you say it like it is a bad thing Pep.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Bombers798891

Quote from: Knightstalker on November 21, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on November 18, 2013, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: Upstate on November 18, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
Well that escalated quickly!

I'd keep the game but only allot 1000 tickets to each school, seriously how many people do each teams draw to games outside Cortaca?

Or play it at the Dome up the road that can handle all the foot and vehicle traffic.

The game itself is not the issue. Pep has not heard a report of problems at the game held in Ithaca. The problems were in Cortland where the 1,000 partiers at some eight student-occupied houses along Clayton Avenue spilled out onto the streets. Pep actually knew of at least two AU students who were invited by friends to "Cortaca" but who did not attend the game in Ithaca, but watched it in Cortland. Of 80 persons arrested in Cortland, only 19 were Cortland students...

What has happened is Cortaca has turned into a "party day" and friends from other colleges are invited to the big bash, much as Alfred University and Alfred State College students are joined by their friends from other colleges for Hot Dog Day, which also drew much criticism by local residents back in late April. As in Cortland, the majority of those arrested in Alfred during Hot Dog Day festivities were neither AU or ASC students, according to the local police chief.

It's actually a discredit to the fine football teams at Ithaca and Cortland because the public drunkenness and debauchery is a distraction from the game itself.

you say it like it is a bad thing Pep.

Yeah, because it is. I mean, I know you're kidding. But this has always been my issue with Cortaca. The real fans get squeezed out by drunken students who don't care about the game, or even the football team in general

DanPadavona

You should encourage IC to take Cortland's lead and offer a season ticket package. The $56 I pay for 5 home games at Cortland's stadium is absolutely worthwhile. I have a reserved seat for Cortaca in the first section near the 50 yard line, surrounded mostly by parents. I can walk in the door at 11:30 and not worry about whether or not I can see the game. It encourages people to support the remaining 4 games, and not just Cortaca.
Justin Bieber created 666 false D3 identities to give me negative karma.

DanPadavona

This may be bad news for the schools from a revenue perspective, but personally I love it. The Cortaca crowd last Saturday was one of the most well-behaved and respectful that I can remember. The Cortland stands were full of parents and some former players. I'm sure a few people did some drinking, but I didn't see anyone who appeared "drunk." I didn't see any F* IC shirts, and I didn't hear any derogatory "chants". It was a great freaking day for football, and a great crowd. I'm sorry about what happened in Cortland, but I am thrilled that those idiots didn't ruin the game. If they never come to another Cortaca game at Ithaca, it will be too soon.
Justin Bieber created 666 false D3 identities to give me negative karma.

AUPepBand

Quote from: DanPadavona on November 22, 2013, 03:42:19 PM

You should encourage IC to take Cortland's lead and offer a season ticket package. The $56 I pay for 5 home games at Cortland's stadium is absolutely worthwhile. I have a reserved seat for Cortaca in the first section near the 50 yard line, surrounded mostly by parents. I can walk in the door at 11:30 and not worry about whether or not I can see the game. It encourages people to support the remaining 4 games, and not just Cortaca.

Reserved seating, Pep surmises, would be difficult to do at Butterfield Stadium, where there are to my knowledge no "stadium seats." AU has some purple stadium seats now at Yunevich Stadium and offers a season ticket package for fans and donors...and, by the way, the Alfland Mug remains in Mayberry!

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!