South Region Rankings and Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, February 01, 2009, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

Quote from: Bammer on February 09, 2011, 07:50:30 AM
Looks like the ODAC could be in danger of receiving only 1 bid with Randolph Macon losing last night to Washington and Lee and with Roanoke losing last week to Eastern Mennonite.  If Bridgewater were to win out and get to at least the conference tournament championship game, they might receive a bid even with a tournament loss.

I guess you can say I agree with you. With two very good teams in the USASouth at the top of the rankings, just by mileage alone that could very well sneak a 2nd ODAC school into the NCAA tournament.  There is still time for that to happen....

Pat Coleman

Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 09, 2011, 08:01:29 AM
Looks like the ODAC could be in danger of receiving only 1 bid with Randolph Macon losing last night to Washington and Lee and with Roanoke losing last week to Eastern Mennonite.  If Bridgewater were to win out and get to at least the conference tournament championship game, they might receive a bid even with a tournament loss.

I guess you can say I agree with you. With two very good teams in the USASouth at the top of the rankings, just by mileage alone that could very well sneak a 2nd ODAC school into the NCAA tournament.  There is still time for that to happen....

Nah -- anyone within 500 miles is likely to be placed as the fourth team in that pod. It could be a CAC team, a GSAC team. They wouldn't put a second ODAC team in just because they are close by. They have to earn the bid on their merits.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 10, 2011, 03:41:01 PM
Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 09, 2011, 08:01:29 AM

Nah -- anyone within 500 miles is likely to be placed as the fourth team in that pod. It could be a CAC team, a GSAC team. They wouldn't put a second ODAC team in just because they are close by. They have to earn the bid on their merits.

Wait you are suggesting that NCAA gets it right every year.  No way :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

The South Region made things instersting didn't they.

Not one of the south region #1 seeds one.  (excluding DePauw in the SCAC but not a southern team)

ASC AQ Howard Payne
GSAC AQ Piedmont
ODAC AQ Randolph-Macon
USASouth AQ CNU

Pool C's?:
Greensboro
Louisiana College

Ralph Turner

Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 27, 2011, 05:16:16 PM
The South Region made things instersting didn't they.

Not one of the south region #1 seeds one.  (excluding DePauw in the SCAC but not a southern team)

ASC AQ Howard Payne
GSAC AQ Piedmont
ODAC AQ Randolph-Macon
USASouth AQ CNU

Pool C's?:
Greensboro
Louisiana College

Howard Payne is looking very, very good.  CNU only led McMurry in Hawai'i by 1 point with 70 seconds left.  The HPU team at the end of the season was looking as good as the ASC Powers, HPU, HSU and McMurry, from the last decade.

Scratch

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 27, 2011, 08:37:04 PM
Howard Payne is looking very, very good.  CNU only led McMurry in Hawai'i by 1 point with 70 seconds left.  The HPU team at the end of the season was looking as good as the ASC Powers, HPU, HSU and McMurry, from the last decade.

HPU is looking very good.  Over the last five games (MCM, HSU, UO, UTD, LC - record 92-35 at the time of the game) HPU has outscored their opponent 364-294.  In the LC championship game, 7 different HPU players had a 3 pointer in the first 12 minutes of play.  I would hate to meet them in the first round.
Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape. -Miyagi

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

Let's Go South Region and Louisiana College, now

4 of the 5 teams from the South region have scored 80+ points tonight.  Louisiana make it 5 out of 6.  I think it tells alot about the style of play here in the south.  

The other almost had a chance to take out the #1 team in the country.  I've been preaching this about the south all year long.  In the words of the late great Rodney Dangerfield. "I don't get no respect."  By I, I mean the south :P

Ralph Turner

Chapman has gone on a 15-2 run to go up 28-21 with 6 minutes left in the first half.

LC has now tied the game at 30 with 3:32 left.

Chapman 32, LC 31, at half.

LC leads 59-56 1:08 left.  It has been a tight second half.  Chapman plays a full court press.  Their aggressive defense has presented some challenges to LC.  Chapman defense reminds me of the full court pressure that ASC teams use sometimes.

Givens has a shot blocked with 25 seconds left.  Chapman scores with 5.5 secs left. Chapman 60-59. LC to inbound to go the length of the court.  LC stepped on the line on the inbounds attempt.

LC fouls with 3.9 left  Neither team has a time-out.  Player misses the first FT.  LC rebounds and then gets fouled.Chapman's 10th foul.  2.8 secs left. Lubgood hits both.  LC wins 61-60.  Coach Joseph-Richards is smiling down on her Lady Wildcats.

Final -- LC 61 Chapman 60

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

5 of 6 advancing I would take that any day. I really think this is the first time since I've been following d3 basketball that the south was spread out like this.  We are usually clumped together.  Lets all win today and take 31% of the sweet 16 field.

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

Personally I think the south deserves at least one more than the 6 teams we had last year.  There are 11 teams that have 20 wins at this point of the season.  I think we had 9 last year, if I counted right. (I don't think DePauw was included in that number)  I know 20 wins doesn't mean anything for NCAA's, but the fact is their are some really good teams down here this year.  It would be nice to see another team down here.  I don't think the USASouth has had 3 teams with 20 wins...ever... (Don't quote me on that.)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on February 19, 2012, 09:31:10 PM
Personally I think the south deserves at least one more than the 6 teams we had last year.  There are 11 teams that have 20 wins at this point of the season.  I think we had 9 last year, if I counted right. (I don't think DePauw was included in that number)  I know 20 wins doesn't mean anything for NCAA's, but the fact is their are some really good teams down here this year.  It would be nice to see another team down here.  I don't think the USASouth has had 3 teams with 20 wins...ever... (Don't quote me on that.)
Fortunately for us, Depauw is now in the North Coast AC and the Great Lakes Region,

#1HOOPSFAN

First Regional Rankings are out. I don't understand the South. Rhodes beats Texas-Tyler by 10 in Texas, has the same overall record and are ranked three places behind them. Eastern Mennonite beats Randolph Macon by 20, has a better record by two games, is two places ahead of them in their own conference and Randolph Macon is #5 and Eastern Mennonite is #9. I understand SOS, but you can't help who who you have to play in your conference and league scheduling. All you can do is schedule tough non-league games. Rhodes played Texas-Tyler and Ferrum in non-league games. Eastern Mennonite has played Ferrum, York, and John Hopkins in non-league games. Some common sense needs to be applied when ranking teams instead of using formulas (categories) to figure things out. No offense to Texas-Tyler and Randolph Macon. I think both are very good teams. I just feel like Rhodes and Eastern Mennonite being ranked behind them makes no sense based on records and head to head games, which should carry a lot of weight when comparing two teams. That's just my opinion!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Take a look at SOS numbers and you can start to get a better picture on things...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: #1HOOPSFAN on February 13, 2014, 12:49:11 PM
First Regional Rankings are out. I don't understand the South. Rhodes beats Texas-Tyler by 10 in Texas, has the same overall record and are ranked three places behind them.

This seems like an issue, frankly. Here's D3 record, SOS and head-to-head results vs. other teams ranked in this South Region poll only (not vs. teams regionally ranked in other polls

1 Ferrum 17-1 vs. D3, .516 SOS
beat Eastern Mennonite, won at Rhodes, beat Maryville

2 Emory 15-5 vs. D3, .574 SOS
beat Maryville

3 Texas-Tyler 18-3 vs. D3, .492 SOS
lost to Rhodes, beat UT-Dallas 2x

4 Maryville 17-3 vs. D3, .511 SOS
lost at Centre, lost at Emory, lost to Ferrum

5 Randolph-Macon 16-4 vs. D3, .547 SOS
lost at Eastern Mennonite

6 Rhodes 17-3 vs. D3, .503 SOS
won at UT-Tyler, lost to Ferrum, beat Centre

7 Centre 14-6 vs. D3, .565 SOS
beat Maryville, lost at Rhodes

8 Texas-Dallas 17-4 17-4 vs. D3, .524 SOS
lost to UT-Tyler 2x

9 Eastern Mennonite 16-4 vs. D3, .507 SOS
beat Randolph-Macon

Randolph-Macon has a win vs. Atlantic ranked CNU and a loss to Atlantic ranked TCNJ but those aren't supposed to be factored into the first week's rankings (because those committees don't know what the other is doing).

How I would rank these teams, based on these criteria:

Ferrum
Emory
Maryville
Rhodes
Randolph-Macon
Centre
UT-Tyler
Eastern Mennonite
UT-Dallas
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.