BB: CUNYAC

Started by Billy 40, March 14, 2009, 09:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy 40

I have to eat my words. Baruch only lost 7-3 to Stockton St. I can't believe Stockton didn't score any more TD's, and let up a FG. They followed that up by beat Hilbert College - I don't care how bad hilbert is (they went 1-7 and were outscored  124-40 during their week long Florida trip), Baruch still picked up a W. They then split with New England College, bringing them to a 4-3 record. They might actually have a shot at winning another game or 2 down there, facing Nichols and Franciscan. I can't believe it.

Onthe other hand, CSI split with St. joe's of Brooklyn. Granted, CSI threw a  kid who dind't make his HS team and cranks it up to about 75, I think it was his first start of his college career. St Joe's of Bk shuld be decent in another year or 2 as well, they picked up a few quality players from Xaverian, I honestly expected them to be better than they are...time will tell.

Billy 40

COnfernece games started this weekend, with Mitchell going 1-3 after being swept by JOhn JAy, then splitting wiht Lehman. Second game featured a no hitter from Mitchell/

Billy 40

I must admit to being totally wrong about Baruch, tehy are actually winning a lot of games this year, adn are currently on a 4 game winning streak and at teh top of the conference.

CSI is where they were expected to be, right at the top. THey face KEan this coming week, should be interestign since CSI beat them last year (or year before) with a knuckleballer.

John JAy - overall record fo 4-17 is no surpise. I am surprised that Baruch beat them twice in conference play - probably the first time that happneed in 15 yeras.

Lehman - theyve lost a lot of games, but at least some of the scores were close. Big cnference games against John Jay this weekend, tehy need to win.

CCNY - the downward spiral continues, hitting an all time low with a 3-2 loss to Yeshiva. I guess I was wrong when I dubbed teh 'Bees teh worst team in teh country, because they actually picked up a W, maybe the first in school history. Tehre is no way you can lose to a team who has been outscored 152 - 35 in 10 games. CCNY followed up that abysmal performance by losing to 3-14 SUNY  New Paltz in the last inning. 

Under second year hitting coach Eric Weber, teh team is batting .213, which is down from a National best .374 teh year before Ewebb took over. At least tehy are 3 points higher than Yeshiva who is at .210. LEd by Barnum & Bailey, tehy face Baruch this weekend in conference play. This is a grudge match, since CCNT's only wins lat year were against Baruch, so there should be some added incentive when thy face off tomorrow.

Bob Maxwell

Billy,

that is why they play the games every year.... to cause those of us who try to figure it out before hand and talk about it during the season a lot of confusion!!!

:D

QQuestion, Erik Weber... is that the same Weber who pitched at Oneonta the last few years?  Or is it just the same name? You spelled it differently, I'm just wondering...

Billy 40

Not the same at all. This EWebb never played Baseball, he just started coaching 4 years ago and really has no knowledge of the game whatsoever and is a big part of why they have been unable to gel together as a team after the departure of the previous coach.

After being shut down for almost 10 years, CCNY fired up their Baseball program in 2005. That first team was puttogether by walking around teh halls of the school asking kids if they wanted to play Baseball.  ZERO recruits, their record was a respectable 5-11 with a 279 batting average, and a 9.19 ERA. In 2006, a few recruits were brought in, and they were able to play a few more games, their record = 11-25 (the 11 wins was teh highest total number of wins in school history, which dated back I think to teh 1940's or 50's).  Their team BA was .307, ERA 6.76. More recruiting resulted in the first winning record in team history, and the second year in a row with teh most wins in school history, as tehy went 16-13, led teh nation in hitting with a .368 average, and their ERA was 7.

Coaching change in 2008 but the team still had new recruits that came in, and many returning players including an All American In Rich Gomez. Their record was an appalling 3-31, a team battign average of .268 (Gomez batted .505), and an ERA of 10.92. THis season they are 3-18, batting .213, with an ERA of 9.09.

The same thing is happening in other sports at CCNY. The basketball team won like 2 games the past 2 seasons. Teh AD that they hired in 2007 is running the program into the ground, and it's not teh first time that she is doing it. SHe's caused nothing but problems with staff everywhere she goes.

Billy 40

CSI - lost to KEan 5-1, which is pretty impressive considering they threw a Freshman who will be very good as his career progresses (Mulligan). THEy also split aDH with Mt St. vincent, lost to NJCU, and swept Lehman in COnference play over teh weekend. BIg games this weekend against John Jay

Baruch - continue their winning ways (I can't believe it), and are firmly seated at teh top of the CUNY conference with a 6-0 record. They absolutely demolished Mitchel, and took care of biz handily beating CCNY in 2 games, including a 1 hit 2-0 shut out by possible CUNYAC pitcher of the Year David Chestnut.

CCNY - hammered 14-2 at Keyspan Park against Mt St. Vincent. The highlight of the career was Pavel Cruz hitting his 3rd HR of the season in "the stadium". Their team batting averaged is sitting at an appaling .201. The only savign grace is they have only played 2 COnference games, and if tehy figure out how to win a couple of key games, tehy can surpass Mitchell & LEhman for a berth in teh Playoffs.

Billy 40

THe battle for the final Playoff spot for teh CUNY Playoffs is heating up, sort of. This spot will be taken over by the best of the worst. CCNY headed up to Mitchell yesterday and earned a split, primarily because Mr. Coach finally realized his best pitcher was 4 year starter KEmil Nunez. KEmil is teh only pitcher who is able to get guys out on a consistant basis, yesterday tossing 7 innings and only allowing 1 run. Right now in the conference standings Mitchell is at 2-4, CCNY at 1-3, and Lehman at 1-5.

If Mr. Coach is reading, you need to use Kemil in teh 7 inning DH games, since he has a shot at throwing a complete game. YOu do not have anyone to close a game, so just chalk up the 9 inning games as a loss. Focus on winnign 1 game in each COnference match up, even if that means using one of your starters to close a game started by KEmil. PRoblem is the starters are abysmall...maybe just use your 3B or LF to close.

Bob Maxwell

Billy... what is the outlook right now.  You've been doing a good job keeping us updated.  Give us an outlook at the tournament.

Bob Maxwell

Can either John Jay (6-2, 8-22) or CSI (6-3, 14-14) upset Baruch (8-0, 15-9)?

Billy 40

I think CSI is going to win the tourney as they have a deeper pitching staff than the other 3 teams. Especially after the coach of Baruch spoke with the coach of CSI last week bfore a weekend series, basically asking: "if CSI was supposed to be so, why do they suck?". CSI went on to sweep Baruch. As CSI was beating Baruch, all the head coach did was scream and yell at his players. Hat's off to teh Baruch players, who were pretty much given an unltimatum that if they dont' win 15 games this season, Baruch was going to cancel the Baseball program. In spite of the team's dislike fr the head coach, they have played really well, and tehy seem to really like the assistant who actually knows what he is doing.

I've been harsh with teh CCNY coach as well, and for good reason. Thier pitching is pretty awful, but thre is one bright spot in Kemil Nunez. On a team that is 4-31, with an ERA of 8.04 & an opposing team batting average of .341 - KEmil has managed a 2-0 record with a .93 ERA, and an opposing BA of .192. He would have been 3-0 had teh coach not taken him out of a game he started, which they were winning 7-4 when he was taken out in teh 7th, and they went onto lose 10-8. He's only appeared in 4 games all season, which is a shame since it is his senior season.

The internet has brought trash talking to a whole new level, with some players talking trash and issuing challenges via Facebook.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks for keeping us updated...  interesting comment on the culture and facebook. 

I saw it used to show a BUD (Bad Umpire Decision - and yes, I write that in my scorebook)... a runner was called out at home plate in an important game.  The picture (on the page its a series of pictures) I saw, the runner had his feet just approaching the plate and the catcher had his glove near his body his empty hand almost touching the runners leg and the BALL was in the air next to the runners leg.  After the dust settled and the players bumped into each other the catcher who didn't have the ball as the runner was sliding in... held it up and the runner was called out.  The picture clearly shows that the catcher didn't have the ball.

The internet has changed the way we see and do things....

Billy 40

It's not trash talking between teams, rather between current and ex-players. Give it some time, it'll eventually spill over to other teams trash talking. Those who talk trash seem to end up kicking themselves in teh behind, as far too often they don't understand the term "let a sleeping dog lie". Bulletin board material exists at teh pro level, the same as it does at teh D3 level, the Baruch coach found this out the hard way this past weekend.

I left out the part where a CSI player hit a dinger, which clanked off a vehicle over teh fence, then came back onto teh field. Baruch's coach threw a tantrum and played teh game under protest.

In a must win series yesterday, Lehman swept CCNY to put themselves in a tie for 4th place in teh conference with Mitchell. Lehman & Mitchell split the regular season series 1-1, so I assume there will be a tiebraker game played betewen teh 2 teams.

Bob Maxwell

What could be protested on that?  It was a judgement call that the ball cleared the fence.

Billy 40

lol, when tehy told me that, I was wondering what the heck could be protested myself. Never assume the coaches know what they are doing. IT wasn't like it was a small protest, I heard he carried on about it the entire game.  It's s shame that there are coaches on teh collegiate level which dont' have a clue.

AS a side note, Yeshiva beat John Jay. Not only that, they beat their best pitcher by scoring 3 runs in top of the final inning, with 2 outs. A double, 2 singles, and 2 HBP's. D1 pitcher lost to Yeshiva in one of his final appearances in his career. Not good.

LTBB1971

I really think that Baruch has a very good chance of repeating this year.  Returning are SR 3B David Chesnut (.400-0-32, 24 BB), SO RF Thomas Daly (.324-1-33, 32 R).  On the mound the have returning SR SP David Chesnut (5-2, 2.36 ERA, 5 CG), JR SP Daniel Brudie (5-2, 3.40 ERA, 2 CG) and probable closer JR Daniel Kehoe (1-1, 4.50 ERA, 2 SV).

Their pitching looks really strong.  Their ability to score will be determined by new incoming bats.