FB: Northwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog

RFB, Redlands has had some all conference players come from their D squad, I think the last one was Sean Woods. I think JV games would have only help them in the long run and isn't D3 Football supposed to be fun.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

RFB

Quote from: olddog on September 10, 2019, 04:57:34 PM
RFB, Redlands has had some all conference players come from their D squad, I think the last one was Sean Woods. I think JV games would have only help them in the long run and isn't D3 Football supposed to be fun.

I don't remember D3 football being fun on our 6th equalizer in 105 degree weather heat, followed by 100 up downs, followed by 10 100 yard sprints. Coach Maynard was diabolical in his youth as a coach. But other than that it was fun. Lol

hazzben

One thing to note, having a JV team doesn't mean you can't have those guys doing scout team duty. Our JV was almost always synonymous with the scout team. One major advantage for the JV games was that it actually allowed scout team guys to play our scheme. Where as the scout team was invariably running the opponents plays/formations. So guys were spending all week getting reps against the ones, but often running plays they had zero familiarity with.

RFB

Quote from: hazzben on September 10, 2019, 05:55:28 PM
One thing to note, having a JV team doesn't mean you can't have those guys doing scout team duty. Our JV was almost always synonymous with the scout team. One major advantage for the JV games was that it actually allowed scout team guys to play our scheme. Where as the scout team was invariably running the opponents plays/formations. So guys were spending all week getting reps against the ones, but often running plays they had zero familiarity with.

Those are very good points.

CamCat

Wildcat 64 like you I'm getting antsy for the Rowan game.  Will you be flying in your private jet to the game?

Would you pick me up at Beaches here in Vancouver, USA on your  way?  I'll bring along all the Kangen water you can drink.
"Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport."
Duffy Daugherty

formerd3db

Quote from: RFB on September 10, 2019, 06:13:18 PM

Quote from: RFB on September 10, 2019, 05:45:22 PM
Quote from: olddog on September 10, 2019, 04:57:34 PM

I don't remember D3 football being fun on our 6th equalizer in 105 degree weather heat, followed by 100 up downs, followed by 10 100 yard sprints. Coach Maynard was diabolical in his youth as a coach. But other than that it was fun. Lol

I second all the above!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

D O.C.

I think I subscribe to the JV programs where players can use the coaches system, as well as the scout team schemes.
That calls for an 9-10 game schedule.

I have 5 Grandnephews in the Mission Viejo CA program. They began as pee-wee players. By 8 they were running the high school schemes. In high school they knew the system. One got a National Championship and California Championship ring.
The youngest are twins. Both signed up for the Navy, banked their bonus, and playing out their senior year with many long term friends.

AUPepBand

Just wondering if any Bruin faithful will be making the trek (or flight) across the country to Alfred (Mayberry) this Saterday?

And, just to add a bit to your jayvee discussion, when Pep was a pup, freshmen were not allowed to play varsity football. Had to sit a year. But some of the Upstate teams had freshman teams, so they'd play games Friday afternoons. Probably since the early 2000s, with Dave Murray at the helm, AU was bringing in over 100 freshmen football players each year. Seemed silly to have 200 football players to put 11 on the field at a time. So they established a jayvee schedule against comparable nearby D3 programs (no overnights). There also remains a handful of community college football programs in NY. This year, AU brought in 80 freshmen and there's a four-game JV schedule, although they may pick up another game here or there.

Pep would like to meet any GF fans/parents who make the trip to Western New York. Your Bruins will be playing in "The Pit," Merrill Field at Yunevich Stadium, a low-lying creekside turf field in a small one-traffic-light town sandwiched between two hillside college campuses with a combined enrollment of more than 5,000 students. Alfred is tucked in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains along the Allegheny Plateau and boasts the highest point on the old Erie Railroad between New York and Chicago....the spot is called Tip Top, elevation 1776 feet. Two watersheds there, draining to the Genesee River to the west, and to the Canisteo River (Chesapeake Bay) to the east.

Pep grew up here. Serving a life sentence, you might say. Would enjoy making the acquaintence of some George Fox fans. While Pendleton is nowhere near Newberg, a Portland native who attended Alfred University on a Merit scholarship and played kazoo in the band in 1999 is now a public defender there in eastern Oregon.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

CamCat

Is there any word on how Wyatt Smith, the QB is looking so far in practice? Does he have any competition for the position.
"Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport."
Duffy Daugherty

D O.C.

Well, I appreciate history and geography so I added a +.
Makes me wish we were there instead of Rowan this weekend.

Now that that's worn off....
Only remember one GeoFo poster being on this site and that's been awhile. You deserve a description of that part of the Willamette Valley.
We're only a around the hill and across the grapevines from them. It's their job to answer you.

olddog

Quote from: formerd3db on September 10, 2019, 06:53:20 PM
Quote from: RFB on September 10, 2019, 06:13:18 PM

Quote from: RFB link=topic=4084.msg1939847#msg1939847 date=156815192
quote author=olddog link=topic=4084.msg1939837#msg1939837 date=1568149054]

I second all the above!
[/quote]

RFB, I love it when Maynard put my son thru it and as I have said before the today's generation needs it more than ever.  I have no doubt Maynard would play a JV schedule if the budget allowed.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

bluenote

Quote from: CamCat on September 11, 2019, 12:27:15 AM
Is there any word on how Wyatt Smith, the QB is looking so far in practice? Does he have any competition for the position.

There are 4-5 qbs in camp. One of them (other than Wyatt) seemed to get quite a few reps in the scrimmage on Saturday. I assume Wyatt will start and we'll see how things go on Saturday.

AUPepBand

Quote from: D O.C. on September 11, 2019, 02:36:50 AM
Well, I appreciate history and geography so I added a +.
Makes me wish we were there instead of Rowan this weekend.

Now that that's worn off....
Only remember one GeoFo poster being on this site and that's been awhile. You deserve a description of that part of the Willamette Valley.
We're only a around the hill and across the grapevines from them. It's their job to answer you.

Curious about dem 'Cats....assuming the college has chartered a flight to Jersey and sold some seats to parents/fans?
Wondering about George Fox...what arrangements were made to facilitate the game, especially since it's a one-year deal. Assume AU pitched in on the cost.
AU chartered a flight to Husson one year and Pep was invited to board for a fee, but sadly had to decline because of a scheduling conflict.

+K back at ya....

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Wildcat'64

Go Cats....carry the flag for the West tomorrow!!!
LEAVE NO DOUBT

George Thompson

After two weeks, SCIAC has 5 wins; NWC only 3 wins.     Even taking away Redlands 2 big wins, it is even.     NWC needs to improve overall.   

Linfield needs to be in best form to beat Redlands on their field.   

GO CATS!

GT
GO CATS! GO!