Previous topic - Next topic

awadelewis

Up this week:
B-SC at Southeastern Univ.
Berry at Centre
Hendrix at Washington (Mo.)
Sewanee at Rhodes

Thoughts:
Rivalry game this week for one's favorite team... doesn't matter what the final results of the season so long as we have good results against W&L and those people in Memphis.  Not certain I'll be pleased with the results this year; just hope we don't beat ourselves like we did last week at B-SC.    Speaking of which,   B-SC travels to Florida to take on a first-year NAIA D-2 program.     Am looking forward to seeing if Hendrix can keep the momentum going as they go up to take on Washington.

WashUDad

Wow The Bears finally seem to have arrived.    45-7 with about 4 left in the half...   Go Bears!!!!

awadelewis

Yep.  Looks like Reality (or at least the WashU Bears) decided today was the day to give Hendrix a kick in the pants.

jaybird44

Hendrix was the unfortunate opponent of a Wash-U team that was determined to stop its 1-4 slide in the first half of the season.  After disappointing rout losses to Rhodes and Centre, and losing a 23-10 lead and later the game at Berry last weekend, the Bears could have begun a slide to a 2-8 season.  However, it appeared that many players took a long hard look in the mirror and decided that they were a much better team than the first half indicated.  As a result, today Wash-U totally dominated Hendrix in all areas of the game.  Total offense in Wash-U's favor 459-309, the Bears' defense only gave up 1 TD (Steve Crenshaw 4 FGs) and forced 4 turnovers, and the Bears scored on a 45-yard punt return, a 62-yard fake punt pass, and a blocked punt recovered in the Hendrix end zone.  Wash-U had a 24-0 lead after one quarter, and a 45-7 lead at halftime.

Granted, Hendrix missed starting QB Seth Peters, who did not play because of an injury.  But, the way Wash-U played today, I believe that it would have still defeated the Warriors by 2-3 TDs if Peters had played.

Just A Guy

Can someone please tell me if our Conference champion receives an automatic bid to the playoffs this season?

jknezek

Quote from: Just A Guy on October 28, 2014, 05:24:36 PM
Can someone please tell me if our Conference champion receives an automatic bid to the playoffs this season?

According to a mistake filled preliminary handbook, yes. According to what we thought were the rules, no. Last I heard people were asking for clarification from the bunglers at the NCAA

Just A Guy

Quote from: jknezek on October 28, 2014, 05:57:24 PM
Quote from: Just A Guy on October 28, 2014, 05:24:36 PM

According to a mistake filled preliminary handbook, yes. According to what we thought were the rules, no. Last I heard people were asking for clarification from the bunglers at the NCAA

Thank you....From what I was able to research the conference was on probation for two years, if we made it through without any issues an automatic bid would be awarded. 

Pat Coleman

Yeah -- I actually do think the SAA should get one this year, but I firmly believe the MASCAC should not.

By the way, I'll be spending my Halloween in Mount Berry and my All Saints' Day in Conway ... get me some good games, alright?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Where the difference lies with the SAA is that the conference only needed to be in existence for two years (five or more schools with football by NCAA standards) and have seven football programs in the third year. It does not have to have seven teams for two years and then qualify in the third. That's where our preseason thinking was off.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 12:26:56 AM
Yeah -- I actually do think the SAA should get one this year, but I firmly believe the MASCAC should not.

By the way, I'll be spending my Halloween in Mount Berry and my All Saints' Day in Conway ... get me some good games, alright?
Welcome to the South.

Two more campuses, and possibly more than 2 more schools?

Pat Coleman

Yep, this will be two new stadiums and three new schools. Millsaps is the only one of the four I've seen before.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 12:43:32 PM
Yep, this will be two new stadiums and three new schools. Millsaps is the only one of the four I've seen before.
Didn't you come to a Battle in the Bayou between Mississippi College and Millsaps once about 10 years ago?

hasanova

Pat, where will you be on November 8?

Pat Coleman

I looked at making the trip to HSC but I felt like if I traveled back-to-back weeks, then had Selection Sunday, then basketball overlapping with playoffs that I might run myself too far down. I have to protect my sanity a bit, too.

If it had been at Guilford, I would have been more inclined, because that's a stadium I haven't seen a game in yet.

hasanova

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 10:29:44 PM
I looked at making the trip to HSC but I felt like if I traveled back-to-back weeks, then had Selection Sunday, then basketball overlapping with playoffs that I might run myself too far down. I have to protect my sanity a bit, too.

If it had been at Guilford, I would have been more inclined, because that's a stadium I haven't seen a game in yet.
I certainly understand.  In the last month, I have been to Savannah, Dallas, Cleveland and Monterrey, Mexico!  I knew the GC at HSC game would be on your radar, but also knew there were other games on a regional and national level.  I wish the game was at GC for a variety of reasons!  lol  I do hope you get a chance to visit Guilford for a game ... as I'm positive you're aware, the Quakers host your alma mater this weekend.  Guilford has many players that are Juniors this fall, so I do hope you can see Matt Pawlowski, Adam Smith, Tyler Hunt and others play before they finish their eligibility in 2015.