2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

First semi has reached halftime in Ft. Wayne: Swarthmore leads CNU, 36-29.

Mr. Ypsi

Swarthmore will play for the "Big Doorstop", downing CNU 70-63.

CNU85

Swarthmore's D was impressive. CNU was only able to hit 32% and were a dismal 24% from 3. And yet the game was competitive.  Sigh. Now a 13 hour drive home.

CNU85

Congrats to the Captains on another tremendous season! It was fun watching you, Logan Miller, Tyler Femi and Marcus Carter! Thanks for some fun years. Everyone else— see ya next year!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Could Francis possibly win Most Outstanding Player for the tournament without making the championship? I think he's a lock for the All-Tournament team but how often has a player won MOP without winning the title? My guess is Fravert if Oshkosh wins but I think I would go Francis over O'Dell if Swarthmore takes it.
All Tournament team I'd guess is Francis-Wheaton, Fravert and Boots- Oshkosh, O'Dell-Swarthmore, and the 5th chosen between Flynn, Wittchow- Oshkosh,  Shafer, Harkins, Wiley-Swarthmore and Carter-Chris Newport depending on how things go tonight.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

thebear

In 1981 Max Artis from Augustana won the MOP, but Potsdam tied the game at the regulation buzzer and won in overtime.

The story was that the voting was done in regulation and it was too late to change. [The game was played in Rock Island].

From 1981 - 200 There were a total of five MOP's from non championship teams, but they all played in the finals. 

Since 2001, all of the MOP's have been from the championship team.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on March 16, 2019, 06:47:22 AM
Could Francis possibly win Most Outstanding Player for the tournament without making the championship? I think he's a lock for the All-Tournament team but how often has a player won MOP without winning the title? My guess is Fravert if Oshkosh wins but I think I would go Francis over O'Dell if Swarthmore takes it.
All Tournament team I'd guess is Francis-Wheaton, Fravert and Boots- Oshkosh, O'Dell-Swarthmore, and the 5th chosen between Flynn, Wittchow- Oshkosh,  Shafer, Harkins, Wiley-Swarthmore and Carter-Chris Newport depending on how things go tonight.

There's only one game left, so that does and will change things, but if I were voting just after last night, I'd pick Boots, Flynn, Wiley, Carter, and Francis.  I believe O'Dell is Swat's best player, but he had some foul trouble last night and was really their third best in the game.  I'd love to find a way to get Nate Shafer on there - his defense really kept them in the game during the first part of the second half, when it could've gotten away.

I think Boots, Francis, and Carter are locks at this point, with the other two coming out of tonight's performance.  The only time I've ever seen a team completely left of the list is when they get smoked without a standout individual performance.  Wheaton got smoked, but even an inefficient 44 points is still 44 points.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Quote from: pedro12 on March 12, 2019, 06:09:44 PM
well, if you have to be in FW here are a few local places to eat.

within reasonable distance of the Coliseum:

Wu's - nicer local chinese restaurant with very good back menu.
Shigs in Pit - BBQ place about 5 minutes away.  Owned by a local microbrewery so they have their own beer on tap. reasonably priced.
Cork and Clever - steakhouse close to the coliseum with a good salad bar
Casa's - local italian chain across the street from the coliseum. nothing spectacular but good food and reasonably priced.
Baker Street- nicer restaurant with steaks and seafood close to the coliseum.
Burger Fi - Good local burger place that also serves beer. reasonably price.

Dupont Rd area north of coliseum:
Black Canyon - nicer restaurant with quality food.
lucky moose - pub feel with a good variety. reasonably priced.

Southwest FW:
Catablu - one of my favorites in town. nicer restaurant. they also usually have good items for special diets.
Eddie Merlot's - higher end steak house.  this is a chain but it is the original.

Pedro,

This list was clutch! Thank you for the recommendations!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to Salem Fort Wayne this year. Something unexpected came up that prevented me from coming. Very disappointing since I booked my room in October, but it is what it is.

How have the crowds been? I know the place seats 13,000 or so, but I believe they were closing off the top section? I think I heard a number around 5,000 for the "lower bowl"? Is that correct?

Wheaton is just 3 1/2 hours away. Did they bring a big crowd Friday night? What about Oshkosh? They are a manageable 5 1/2 or so away? I think they would bring a lot based on the excitement.

The Oshkosh boxscore says about 2,000? Is that accurate?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ralph Turner

As an outsider, IMHO, the WIAC/CCIW axis is just heads-and-shoulders better the rest of the country.

That top right bracket, all the way down to Marietta in the lower left was a whole 'nother tournament.

Congrats to UW-O.

Gregory Sager

Congrats to UWO. And congrats to the impossibly-young-looking Matt Lewis, whom I suspect is only the third-ever head coach to win a D3 national championship in his first season in charge of any program.

I think that today's moral of the story is: In an era in D3 in which it sometimes looks as though the traditional center is a vanishing breed, there is still plenty of room in this game for a good big man who can score with either hand down in the blocks. Jack "Moose" Flynn was clearly the difference-maker in this game for the Titans.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Curious who made all tournament team.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 16, 2019, 06:50:05 PM
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to Salem Fort Wayne this year. Something unexpected came up that prevented me from coming. Very disappointing since I booked my room in October, but it is what it is.

How have the crowds been? I know the place seats 13,000 or so, but I believe they were closing off the top section? I think I heard a number around 5,000 for the "lower bowl"? Is that correct?

Wheaton is just 3 1/2 hours away. Did they bring a big crowd Friday night? What about Oshkosh? They are a manageable 5 1/2 or so away? I think they would bring a lot based on the excitement.

The Oshkosh boxscore says about 2,000? Is that accurate?

They closed off the ends, but the sides were open all the way up. There were 14 seating sections on each side with about 150 seats in each, so about 4,200 seats there plus some extras higher up, thus 5,000 is about right. The 2,000 attendance figure also seems accurate. Wheaton, Swarthmore, and UW-O each had decent support, CNU a little less, especially tonight. Lots of Wheaton fans stuck around for tonight's game. Too bad you couldn't make it.

cubs

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 16, 2019, 09:21:01 PM
And congrats to the impossibly-young-looking Matt Lewis, whom I suspect is only the third-ever head coach to win a D3 national championship in his first season in charge of any program.
Who were the other two if you don't mind me asking?
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Gregory Sager

Bosko Djurickovic at North Park (1985) and Joe Campoli at Ohio Northern (1993).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell