2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Also spoke too soon.  CMU GK has great save on a free kick with 25 secs left to preserve win....CMU all set with 1-0-1 already with teams that likely will be ranked for tourney purposes....go 3-3-1 in UAA and a bid is locked up.

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 06:44:25 PM
What to make of Gordon...lost to ECSU...

I saw that result. After the Brandeis result (and Endicott's 0-3 start, albeit playing 3 solid sides) I thought they might be the new de facto CCC favorite. However, upon further reflection, it may be a bit early to draw that conclusion. (Realistically, it is definitely too early to draw any conclusions.)

On Sunday's game, it was a disappointing result for Judges fans, but I think the result was ultimately a combination of Brandeis having an off night and Gordon being opportunistic. Don't get me wrong, the Fighting Scots beat Brandeis fair and square, and were certainly worthy of the lead at the half, but as another poster suggested they were fortunate to not concede the equalizer after the interval. To be fair, it's also much too early to say the Judges are worthy of a return to the Final 4, either, so perhaps the teams are closer than some would have thought, despite Brandeis entering the game with a #4 USC ranking. I guess my point is more that Gordon certainly rode its luck en route to the result (as all teams must, at times) and that things could have gone differently on a different day (as they always can).

Anyway, after Sunday, I was curious to see how they fared against Fitchburg State on Wednesday, and while they got out with a 2-1 road win I perhaps expected them to score a bit more. (Perhaps I'm expecting too much -- I've seen my own team eek out one-goal victories on the road against opposition I thought they'd beat by more.) Regardless, I thought they'd win by more against an unspectacular Fitchburg side. ECSU is certainly never an easy place to go, but once they dug a 2-0 hole (with two quickfire goals against) it was always going to be a long way back.

With today's result, now they're back to .500 with a tough game against Colby next on the docket. They also face tough non-conference tests against Springfield and Amherst, so there won't be much margin for error in the rest of their schedule.

All told, I think this is a solid team, although perhaps not ready to be anointed as CCC favorites yet.

blooter442

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 09:08:31 PM
Also spoke too soon.  CMU GK has great save on a free kick with 25 secs left to preserve win....CMU all set with 1-0-1 already with teams that likely will be ranked for tourney purposes....go 3-3-1 in UAA and a bid is locked up.

They looked a shoo-in last year in mid-October, but then went 0-1-2 in their last three UAA games, so they can't rest on their laurels. Even at 10-4-3 I thought they'd be OK, but it wasn't to be.

In other news, Paul, I went to see the first three Kenyon goals at 3-0. Got back to live and it was 5-0.

PaulNewman

Dickinson vs Lynchburg is a barnburner....3-3, under 15 to go....the great Joe Hurtzler on the call...

blooter442

PaulNewman

Just love Joe Hurtzler!!!  Hornets 4  Red Devils 3......2:25 to go

D3soccerwatcher

Hope College beats ONU 1-0.  Moves to 3-0 on the season.

PaulNewman

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on September 07, 2018, 09:51:53 PM
Hope College beats ONU 1-0.  Moves to 3-0 on the season.

Hopefully Hope is for real.  Would be fantastic for Calvin to get pressured a little more in regular season and for that rivalry to get hot again.

rudy

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 09:46:21 PM

Lots of action in this game. Really entertaining. Lynchburg offense looks really dynamic but defense and goalkeeping mistakes kept Dickinson in it. Spectacular goal from lynchburg..Abibi or however you spell it..bicycle kick off of chest. Really great skill on that goal

Ejay

Quote from: rudy on September 07, 2018, 09:56:39 PM

Lots of action in this game. Really entertaining. Lynchburg offense looks really dynamic but defense and goalkeeping mistakes kept Dickinson in it. Spectacular goal from lynchburg..Abibi or however you spell it..bicycle kick off of chest. Really great skill on that goal

Video highlight of the bike.  Completely legit.  http://lynchburgsports.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180907yaflqf

PaulNewman

Quote from: EB2319 on September 08, 2018, 07:29:33 AM

Video highlight of the bike.  Completely legit.  http://lynchburgsports.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180907yaflqf

That video and if you scroll down further for the postgame interview give a nice peek at the work of Joe Hurtzler, the voice of Hornet sports....love him telling the kid he'd try to get him on Sportscenter...wonder if he did...

PaulNewman

I think I've expressed surprise before at limited fan participation on this site from the ODAC...very exciting action and style at least in top half of that league...I don't recall much consistent attention except for our W&L participant and mentions here and there from encounters with NJAC savants and Messiah fans.

If ODAC was in New England our contingent up here would talk about it all the time....a mix between NESCAC, NEWMAC, with a dash of GNAC or CCC.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 08, 2018, 07:43:37 AM
Quote from: EB2319 on September 08, 2018, 07:29:33 AM

That video and if you scroll down further for the postgame interview give a nice peek at the work of Joe Hurtzler, the voice of Hornet sports....love him telling the kid he'd try to get him on Sportscenter...wonder if he did...

That has to be a sportscenter  top 10. Holy Cow!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ejay

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 08, 2018, 07:49:29 AM
I think I've expressed surprise before at limited fan participation on this site from the ODAC...very exciting action and style at least in top half of that league...I don't recall much consistent attention except for our W&L participant and mentions here and there from encounters with NJAC savants and Messiah fans.

If ODAC was in New England our contingent up here would talk about it all the time....a mix between NESCAC, NEWMAC, with a dash of GNAC or CCC.

I love the ODAC and started loosely following it last year when my daughter started her college search.  We visited a bunch of ODAC schools and I've been impressed with their academic programs and sports facilities (even though she's not an athlete). 

PaulNewman

Gonna pick Emory as a sleeper Final Four choice.  Looks like the UAA is going to be a monster again this season.  Chicago, Emory, CMU looking very good.  Who knows about Rochester.  CWRU doing OK.  Brandeis down right now but I'm sure will be tough in-conference. 

Meanwhile Calvin is crushing Ohio Northern at ONU 5-0 in just the first half.