MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 25, 2018, 11:54:54 PM
Quote from: noonhooper on November 25, 2018, 11:43:41 PM
The only thing funny about this "new revelation" is the people who seem to think that now Johns Hopkins is going to be dominant in the conference. As if they don't already do quite well in most sports and enjoy significant advantages. I am happy for all the students who will now be able to attend a great school without financial strain. But the Jays have been and will be the same powerhouse they have been.

Hopkins is certainly a strong department from top to bottom, but I'll honestly say this ... I'm surprised they aren't more successful considering the dynamics. I wonder sometimes why they don't win more. While consistent, I would not put JHU in the "powerhouse" section. Maybe that's because I cover so many sports where they are good, but they aren't more than that - even football despite their appearance in the quarterfinals this year.

Their past five Directors' Cup finishes (in reverse chronological order) were seventh, fifth, 12th, second, and third. Their 12th-place finish three years ago is their only finish outside the top nine this decade. I know that's not a perfect measurement, but if they aren't already a powerhouse, they are pretty close to it.

GoDiplomats

Can anyone that follows F&M please share with me why in God's name is Mike Rice the starting PG, captain of the team and even on the team! Watching this kid play, at this point, is disrespect to the PG legacy of those who have come before him. The kid is god awful, lacks any type of basketball skill what so ever. Not quite sure why Nick doesn't have him buried at the back of the bench with Les Thomas & Jerry Ben, both of whom, I think, should be seeing more court time.

Great to see the development of Matt Redhead and the continued growth of JC. With these two in the frontcourt, the Diplomats should have a strong run this year. I'm hoping Nichay has something in the works to continue to work the younger guys into the rotation.

While I'm not totally happy with his use of the bench, I think Nick is doing a quality job in filling in for Coach Robinson in his absents. It's also really encouraging to see Ms. Robinson still attending the games in her husband's absence. I'd love to know how many games she's seen if her lifetime. If memory serves me correct outside of the 16-17 season when she was ill, she hasn't really missed any games.

Continue to strive Dips! #GoDips #WhyItWorks

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sunny on November 26, 2018, 07:42:39 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 25, 2018, 11:54:54 PM
Quote from: noonhooper on November 25, 2018, 11:43:41 PM
The only thing funny about this "new revelation" is the people who seem to think that now Johns Hopkins is going to be dominant in the conference. As if they don't already do quite well in most sports and enjoy significant advantages. I am happy for all the students who will now be able to attend a great school without financial strain. But the Jays have been and will be the same powerhouse they have been.

Hopkins is certainly a strong department from top to bottom, but I'll honestly say this ... I'm surprised they aren't more successful considering the dynamics. I wonder sometimes why they don't win more. While consistent, I would not put JHU in the "powerhouse" section. Maybe that's because I cover so many sports where they are good, but they aren't more than that - even football despite their appearance in the quarterfinals this year.

Their past five Directors' Cup finishes (in reverse chronological order) were seventh, fifth, 12th, second, and third. Their 12th-place finish three years ago is their only finish outside the top nine this decade. I know that's not a perfect measurement, but if they aren't already a powerhouse, they are pretty close to it.

That shows consistency to some degree ... and it is helped by a couple of sports that can a bit further than the majority (not considering lacrosse which isn't factored in). I guess I'm more surprised that Hopkins is not further in national tournaments as those numbers would seem to indicate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

The financial aid package at Swarthmore was absolutely a game changer. We put three kids through college and the Swarthmore financial aid package was miles better than the other two colleges my kids went to. And, having a Swarthmore degree ain't a bad thing either.

CCHoopster

One of my children's tuition was significantly less at a Centennial school than that of my other at a MAC school. I was shocked.

BeRightOn

Is it just me, or does it seem the CC teams are getting crushed by their non-conference opponents?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 27, 2018, 09:55:29 PM
One of my children's tuition was significantly less at a Centennial school than that of my other at a MAC school. I was shocked.

Can really depend on the school.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Very true, Dave. It's all the school, what they need or are targeting etc... We were fortunate to not need to rely on FA however the aid was given by the Centennial school not the MAC. It's definitely school by school because other Cent schools were nowhere close to the aid given by their peer for my daughter.

Swat Fan #1

Crazy ending at Swat - F&M game. F&M down one, hits three point shot that appeared to be after the buzzer. I watched it a number of times and it looked like he didn't get it off. However, it was very close. I was wondering if anyone else saw it and if they thought it was good?

D.B. Cooper

Just saw game on SWAT broadcast. Announcers thought it went off around 0.1 sec. Both of us watching thought on replay it left hand after 0.1 but before buzzer sounded while ball was in air, but it was close.
What a fiercely defended game looking like playoff intensity from beginning to end.
Wiley and Harkins led team to stirring final minute comeback. Earlier Dips rallied 8+ point deficit with Kupa taking over handling the point and scoring in clutch later minutes. I also was impressed with Les Thomas off the bench making 2 free throws after getting clobbered during an intentional 2 foul & making a key long trifecta with shot clock nearly at 0 that seemed to save Dips impressing me with all aspects of his game.

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: D.B. Cooper on December 01, 2018, 05:21:08 PM
Just saw game on SWAT broadcast. Announcers thought it went off around 0.1 sec. Both of us watching thought on replay it left hand after 0.1 but before buzzer sounded while ball was in air, but it was close.
What a fiercely defended game looking like playoff intensity from beginning to end.
Wiley and Harkins led team to stirring final minute comeback. Earlier Dips rallied 8+ point deficit with Kupa taking over handling the point and scoring in clutch later minutes. I also was impressed with Les Thomas off the bench making 2 free throws after getting clobbered during an intentional 2 foul & making a key long trifecta with shot clock nearly at 0 that seemed to save Dips impressing me with all aspects of his game.

Thanks. I thought ball was still in his hands at 0.0 but it was really close. Good commentary on the game. Defense by both teams was playoff basketball.

centfan

hopkins looking good
f&m competitive as always
swat off to a tough start not finishing two close games
haverford beat gettysburg who beat f&m?

it's early...we shall see

Corporal Hicks

Been a while since ive posted and for good reason too. My wife and doctor seem to think it could contribute to my health issues. Not easy being a passionate fan when you inevitably get worked up over things all while dealing with typical health issues of an old man :).

Anyway,
Few things i like and dont like so far from the Cent(feel free to engage in healthy debate):

Dislike: Not thrilled with how the cent started against out of conference teams- that being said I think we could agree there has been a slight dip in overall depth  over the past few years

2. Swat starting 1-2 in conference. Could Coach Kowalski's head gotten too big due to overload of success from day 1? I think the garnet end up coming around but interesting story line nonetheless

3. Mcdaniel. I dislike mcdaniel. Remember a few years ago when they were competing for a final playiff spot? I know it's early but we could see another down year for the terror. Cosching change coming?

Like:
1. How the Diplomats have dealt with adversity. Legendary robinson dealing with illness isn't easy when the guy has been their face for decades now.

2. Mules look to be the mules we have grown to love. Mules off and running! 2-1 start in conterence not to mention the youth movement on that roster. Returners gnias and Duke of hazard didnt play early on. Must have been injuries or who knows what

3. I liked Hopkins preseason and I'm standing by that. Hopkins will win conference but don't count out Franklin and Marshall to keep it interesting.

..until next time..

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling from health issues, but maybe you should stay off the boards ... you once again prove you are smoking something...

I'll have a healthy debate, but how about you start these debates with respectful comments and thoughts. Nothing you write seems to be "healthy" for debate or consumption.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on December 03, 2018, 11:30:31 AM
Dislike: Not thrilled with how the cent started against out of conference teams- that being said I think we could agree there has been a slight dip in overall depth  over the past few years

I think most people expected a dip this year. Everyone lost key players from last season. If you were expecting the conference to turn into a juggernaut, you have a very different perspective than many. I was a little surprised JHU stubbed their toe early, BUT they also sorted themselves. With as much parity in DIII basketball that there is now (and has been for some time, building more and more), taking losses that seemed odd five or ten years ago is a thing of the past. Sure, some things look odd, but many programs are improving rather than just in the Centennial.

2. Swat starting 1-2 in conference. Could Coach Kowalski's head gotten too big due to overload of success from day 1? I think the garnet end up coming around but interesting story line nonetheless

Here is a great example of where your comments aren't helpful, healthy, or starting a debate. You are simply firing shots.

Yeah, Swat lost on two buzzer beaters last week against the two other top three teams in the conference this season. Did you think they were playing the bottom of the conference? I removed them from my Top 25, for now, but that doesn't mean they won't be good.

Also, where does Coach Kowalski's size of his apparent head have anything to do with this? If he had a big head, I'm quite sure he wouldn't be coaching at Swat anymore. Talent changes in the college game. You lose players and you gain players. While some Top 25 voters had Swat pretty highly ranked, I can tell you two voters from this region (Ryan and myself) did NOT vote them that high (15-20 range). Voters will adjust. Swat is still a good team, but they are putting new players in new roles. Let's slow your role on bashing them so quickly. (And no, a defense of "I think garnet end up coming around" is not good enough; that's hedging a bet after dropping the negative comments first.)

3. Mcdaniel. I dislike mcdaniel. Remember a few years ago when they were competing for a final playiff spot? I know it's early but we could see another down year for the terror. Cosching change coming?

SMH If you don't like McDaniel then move on. Where are you basing your idea of a coaching change? Have you dived into what is going on at McDaniel? Did you notice the roster? I'm sure they would like to start in conference a bit better, but that is a completely different team than in the past. Their best player, Austin Cannon, has been injured early this season. Having watched McDaniel, I think they will find a way to pick up a good number of Ws this season. Unless something changed drastically in the last week, they have a ton of fight in them this season. How about we wait to see a few more games before we start calling for coach's heads, okay?

Like:
1. How the Diplomats have dealt with adversity. Legendary robinson dealing with illness isn't easy when the guy has been their face for decades now.

Well... he did miss a couple of games last year for illness as well. I suspect this program is a bit more comfortable with Glenn Robinson needing to miss a few games. Yes, it is nice to see them not roll over, though they did lose to Gettysburg and York (who is drastically different than last year) which shows me a bit of inconsistently right now. I'm not knocking that. I kind of expected it. They have a lot of pieces still trying to find themselves in a very different team this year (sans Federici). This time of year can be very wacky and for F&M to take a couple of hits isn't the end of the world in my opinion. I suspect the Diplomats will be battling at the top of the conference by the end of this.

Interestingly, you compliment F&M with two losses to a middle/bottom Centennial team and a non-conference foe for battling through challenges ... but you knock Swat for losing two games against the top of the conference on buzzer beaters seemingly to think they don't have challenges on the court, either.

Odd, I say. Odd.

2. Mules look to be the mules we have grown to love. Mules off and running! 2-1 start in conterence not to mention the youth movement on that roster. Returners gnias and Duke of hazard didnt play early on. Must have been injuries or who knows what
Wait ... what?! Were you not the team absolutely killing this program last year for the coaching staff decisions and others? Now you are complimenting what the program has turned into? I have to wonder who might be responsible for what the program has become. Wait ... let me think on it for a moment. I am sure it will come to me. No, seriously, don't answer... I'm sure I can come up with it... (sarcasm)

Also, for someone who seems so "in touch" with the program in the last few seasons, I'm shocked you don't know the status of a player - being injured or not. Shocked, I say. (sarcasm)

3. I liked Hopkins preseason and I'm standing by that. Hopkins will win conference but don't count out Franklin and Marshall to keep it interesting.

Many people liked JHU. Not a reach. I think JHU, F&M, and Swat will be battling at the top once again this year. I also think the conference is deeper and the middle will surprise.

..until next time..

Please no. Unless you can come back with a bit more of a civil tone. No one missed you.

GoDiplomats

Does anyone know how to get access to previous games that require a password? I wasn't able to catch the Dips v. Haverford last night and wanted to hopefully watch it this morning. Any suggestions appreciated.