BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 26, 2019, 11:08:26 PM
Elmhurst made the final score respectable by scoring 3 in the top of the ninth, but IWU wins 6-4.  I'm not sure it is official yet, but the CCIW tourney participants are now known - only the order of NCC, Augie, NPU, Wheaton, Millikin, and IWU to be set.
That's a bit premature.  No team has been mathematically eliminated yet.  There are still several games to play and every team still can finish with as many as ten conference victories.  If Carroll runs the table, for example, the Pioneers would be at 12-12. 

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: mr_b on April 27, 2019, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 26, 2019, 11:08:26 PM
Elmhurst made the final score respectable by scoring 3 in the top of the ninth, but IWU wins 6-4.  I'm not sure it is official yet, but the CCIW tourney participants are now known - only the order of NCC, Augie, NPU, Wheaton, Millikin, and IWU to be set.
That's a bit premature.  No team has been mathematically eliminated yet.  There are still several games to play and every team still can finish with as many as ten conference victories.  If Carroll runs the table, for example, the Pioneers would be at 12-12.

Yeah, I was having a flashback to the 8-team conference and a 21-game conference season. :-[

AndOne

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 24, 2019, 05:56:19 PM
Augie has now lost four straight games.

Make that six straight losses after dropping yesterday's DH to North Central by scores of 13-2 and 4-1 in Moline.
In the nightcap, with emphasis on night as the game didn't finish until 10:18 PM, three NCC hurlers struck out a combined 14 of the western Vikings. 
Augie and NCC administrators/coaches displayed good foresight in moving the games, which were originally scheduled for today, up to yesterday in light of today's predicted snow. 🌨
Series finale is scheduled for 2:00 tomorrow. ⚾️ ☃️
The Cardinals now hold a 4 game lead in the conference standings, and have 5 of their 6 remaining games at home.

Gregory Sager

North Park takes down one of the league's top pitchers, beating Adam Zuk and Millikin, 6-3, at Sunnyside Park in Decatur. Vikings outfielders Brandon Davis and Brad Maurer each hit the first homers of their respective careers, as NPU moved ahead of Wheaton and Millikin into third place, a half-game behind Augie.

As I said a few days ago, the goal is to get second place and that first-round bye.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: AndOne on April 27, 2019, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 24, 2019, 05:56:19 PM
Augie has now lost four straight games.

Make that six straight losses after dropping yesterday's DH to North Central by scores of 13-2 and 4-1 in Moline.
In the nightcap, with emphasis on night as the game didn't finish until 10:18 PM, three NCC hurlers struck out a combined 14 of the western Vikings. 
Augie and NCC administrators/coaches displayed good foresight in moving the games, which were originally scheduled for today, up to yesterday in light of today's predicted snow. 🌨
Series finale is scheduled for 2:00 tomorrow. ⚾️ ☃️
The Cardinals now hold a 4 game lead in the conference standings, and have 5 of their 6 remaining games at home.

Death, taxes and Augustana getting off to a hot start and stumbling down the stretch. Happens almost every year. As a guy who has followed CCIW baseball since the early 90s, this is not a shock to me.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

In a DH moved from Saturday at Elmhurst to Sunday in Bloomington (though Elmhurst will still be the 'home' team), IWU wins the first, 7-6.  Much like Friday, IWU led big, then Elmhurst tried to rally (3 runs in the bottom of the 8th) but fell short.

NOW, Elmhurst is mathematically eliminated from the conference tourney (and Carthage is all-but-eliminated).

Mr. Ypsi

In a reversal of the first two games, it was IWU who staged the comeback.  In a real "pitchers' duel" ;D,  the Titans scored three runs in the top of the 11th to win, 15-12.  The result eliminates Carthage from the tourney (Elmhurst was already eliminated).*

The two teams combined for 37 hits (and Elmhurst had five errors).  Nick Brune, having already gotten his 3rd save in the first game, finished this one with his 5th win, against one loss.  A wild game, but hardly a good game by any reasonable standard.

*Eliminated from catching IWU - I now see they could catch NPU.  Doubtful, but possible.  I hadn't realized that the sweep of the Titans over the Jays actually moved us from 6th to tied for 4th

BigPoppa

The two biggest surprises to me in the CCIW this year are Miilikin's rise, and Carthage's tumble.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 29, 2019, 11:13:10 AM
The two biggest surprises to me in the CCIW this year are Miilikin's rise, and Carthage's tumble.
Millikin has been steadily improving for several seasons. This year they've had really solid pitching and fielding (this weekend seemed to be an aberration, with eight errors).

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 28, 2019, 09:51:50 PM
*Eliminated from catching IWU - I now see they could catch NPU.  Doubtful, but possible.

Incorrect. The only member of the bottom three that can catch North Park is Carroll -- and that's only if Carroll wins out against Wheaton and Augustana while NPU gets swept by both Illinois Wesleyan and Elmhurst. The Bluejays are eliminated (they can only get to eight CCIW wins,while NPU already has ten), and the Red Men are eliminated as well (they can tie NPU, but the Vikings own the tiebreaker).

Any win by the Vikings or any loss by the Pioneers sets the six-team playoff field.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

This evening's doubleheader at Holmgren between North Park and Illinois Wesleyan has been postponed to tomorrow afternoon at 2 pm.

Mr. Ypsi

In the first of two in Chicago, NPU broke a tie game wide open with 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th.  They win, 9-4.

Gregory Sager

Josh Ward pitched the first complete game of the season for North Park. He was ragged in the first, giving up three runs (two of them to batters he'd walked), but settled down and only gave up one run the rest of the way.

Vikings bats did a nice job of tagging IWU ace Nick Brune, who gave up 13 of the 16 hits that the Vikings hit, and eight of the nine runs.

Mr. Ypsi

thunder38

Not quite the chaotic finish it could have been today but there's still some drama to sort out for seeding.

The following seeds are clinched:
#1 - North Central
#2 - Augustana
#6 - North Park

Two scenarios still remain for seeding depending on the outcomes of the North Central/Millikin doubleheader tomorrow in Naperville.

**Millikin sweep OR split
#3 - Millikin
#4 - Illinois Wesleyan
#5 - Wheaton

**North Central sweep
#3 - Illinois Wesleyan
#4 - Wheaton
#5 - Millikin
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.