FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

The plan was for the winner's school to host a banquet or award ceremony on its campus to honor the winner. It will be a lot easier for that to happen this year, given the winner!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jamtod

Quote from: USTBench on December 17, 2018, 04:46:20 PM
Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on December 17, 2018, 04:21:56 PM
Okay, so let's hear some after-action reports. SJ2's offensive scheme caught UST totally unawares (and that's being kind to our guys). We beat Carleton and St. Olaf handily, but those outcomes were never really in doubt. We probably should have lost to Gustavus. Then we did lose to a talented (and underrated) Bethel team. Long story short, it seems like UST pretty much fell apart in the second half of the season. What happened?

I could point to a few things, but I think UST needs more play-makers in their secondary and in their WR corps. Going back to the Stout game in 2017, UST has struggled to get open against athletic secondaries, which certainly has the ability to affect Perra's feet and decision making. I think our WRs (and TEs especially), benefit a lot from play-action because we've typically always been able to run the ball effectively, but I'd like some guys that can hit a homerun on first down in the first quarter.

Additionally, I thought Mark Dowdle did a good job as a CB on an island the last few years, but once they decided to utilize him more as a LB this year it exposed some kids who weren't quite ready for the amount of action they were seeing. I understand the decision, with Dowdle's size, speed and length, getting him around the ball more frequently probably paid dividends, but if they didn't get home to the QB on 3rd down, I was always holding my breath.

I'd need to review the tape to confirm my perspective on this, but I think you are spot on here. Early in the season, Dowdle was playing like a maniac and looked in the running for All-American consideration. After SJU exposed us, it took him out of the game a bit.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: USTBench on December 17, 2018, 04:46:20 PM
Okay, so let's hear some after-action reports. SJ2's offensive scheme caught UST totally unawares (and that's being kind to our guys). We beat Carleton and St. Olaf handily, but those outcomes were never really in doubt. We probably should have lost to Gustavus. Then we did lose to a talented (and underrated) Bethel team. Long story short, it seems like UST pretty much fell apart in the second half of the season. What happened?

I could point to a few things, but I think UST needs more play-makers in their secondary and in their WR corps. Going back to the Stout game in 2017, UST has struggled to get open against athletic secondaries, which certainly has the ability to affect Perra's feet and decision making. I think our WRs (and TEs especially), benefit a lot from play-action because we've typically always been able to run the ball effectively, but I'd like some guys that can hit a homerun on first down in the first quarter.

Additionally, I thought Mark Dowdle did a good job as a CB on an island the last few years, but once they decided to utilize him more as a LB this year it exposed some kids who weren't quite ready for the amount of action they were seeing. I understand the decision, with Dowdle's size, speed and length, getting him around the ball more frequently probably paid dividends, but if they didn't get home to the QB on 3rd down, I was always holding my breath.

I'm only a casual football fan and don't really know the ins and outs of anything, however my perspective offers a slightly different view, perhaps.

I think the athletes on UST's roster are fine.  Fast, strong, etc.  Perhaps not as much as they were in one or two other years, but not to have fallen so far as to be legitimately challenged by GAC.  I think that was a mental thing, not a skills/abilities thing.

UST had come to dominate the conference on the UWW/UHMB model of bigger and faster.   And UST dominated so much, particularly over the weaker half, that they became complacent.  Not just on the field but in coaching creativity as well.

On defense the blitz crazy Blitzlemania was enough to overrun most everyone.  You didn't need to think about it, you just had to do it.  And when it came to the big boys you just had to turn it up to 11.  And while that is largely true, after a few years it led to complacency and, worse, predictability.  SJU was able to craft a game plan that largely overcame the blitzkrieg.  When confronted with a successful opposition the UST defense just didn't have the experience of being previously challenged and didn't have another idea.  They turned the blitz up to 11 and it wasn't enough.  Next year I bet they are smarter and more seasoned, presenting a more flexible approach to defending (although I'm sure blitz first and often will remain a centrepiece).

(UHMB had the good fortune of learning from UST's experience and dropped linebackers into coverage, along with having insane athletes who could provide tight man-on-man defense.  But even then, the Johnnies could have taken them and I think they will next year.)

I think the UST bigger, faster, stronger plan was most seriously challenged on offense.  The SJU d-line and linebackers largely (but for a few big mistakes that let Parks run wild for long TD's) were able to withstand the brutish power of the Tommie line.  That largely threw the game plan out of whack and again the offense was unused to the challenge so struggled to adjust.  The domination of the line-of-scrimmage had been a given for about 5 years now, only challenged by the other purples.

So, essentially I think the St Glenn will come back rejuvenated and the team will have added game play depth and capabilities.  Although they were exposed this year (and then dropped in confidence after the exposure, enabling GAC to push to the edge and leaving themselves exposed to a hot BU squad) I don't think it will last.  I'm pretty sure the dirty Tommies will come back ready and better.

And I don't mind.  I like the fact that the MIAC was so good this year.  And the Johnnies need to get just a little better to go a little further next year.  So some help from the Tommies pushing us along the way will be appreciated.
[  

OzJohnnie

It's important to remember that the Tommies still managed 609 yards of offense.  It wasn't like they were completely stuffed.  They gave up seven turnovers.  They were forced to take more and more risks, which were paying off in some big plays, but living on the edge gets to everyone eventually.
[  

sjusection105

The schedule was loaded in such a way that Concordia's lack of fight took everyone by surprise. The lack of any kind of real resistance from the Cobber's fed the Tommie's delusions of grandeur. The Johnnie's game plan was something that should have been used in 2017 with Evan Clarke. With the offensive coaching staff shuffle the game plan came to reality, took advantage of the weak coverage by the Tommie secondary and, well you know the rest. ;D
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjusection105 on December 17, 2018, 07:39:57 PM
The schedule was loaded in such a way that Concordia's lack of fight took everyone by surprise. The lack of any kind of real resistance from the Cobber's fed the Tommie's delusions of grandeur. The Johnnie's game plan was something that should have been used in 2017 with Evan Clarke. With the offensive coaching staff shuffle the game plan came to reality, took advantage of the weak coverage by the Tommie secondary and, well you know the rest. ;D

Perhaps I'm being overly charitable, but I'm not sure we can call the Tommie secondary weak.  They got picked apart, yes, but the plan was to not let Erdmann have the time to throw.  Plus no one really understood how well he could throw until that game.

I guess I'm saying the Tommie secondary was exposed on game plan not talent.  How are they supposed to face an experienced 5-wide setup, running unpredictable patterns in one-on-one?  Even UHMB, who knew at that point exactly what they were facing, gave up 418 passing yards (plus another 78 rushing - oh, what could have been).  I reckon the Tommies brought clubs to a gun fight.  That was the issue.

(Also, if not for the Max Jackson 99-yard fumble return then the complexion of the game would have been very different.  It was quite tight until that moment.  Yes, it felt like the Johnnies were on top but the Tommies were creeping around waiting their chance.)
[  

OzJohnnie

One last post to quote something good from this Johnnie press release: https://gojohnnies.com/news/2018/12/17/football-johnnies-ranked-nos-3-4-in-final-polls-of-2018.aspx

QuoteThe Johnnies expect to return seven starters on each side of the ball, including the 2018 Gagliardi Trophy recipient and D3football.com Offensive Player of the Year, quarterback Jackson Erdmann (Rosemount, Minn.), and  two-time All-American guard Dan Greenheck (St. Paul, Minn./Cretin-Derham Hall) in 2019.
[  

sjusection105

The Bethel Royals will be a force to be reckoned with in 2019. I've seen this movie before. Steve Johnson has done this time after time. Get a stud RB (this time around he's Sam Gibas) throw him in as a Freshman, baptized by fire. Get a stud read-option QB (this time around his name is Jaran Roste) throw him in as a Freshman,baptized by fire. Throw in a offensive line that play with a chip on their shoulders and you have a very capable offense and Steve Johnson has directed this performance about 5 times in the past 20 years. Johnson will take a 5-5 season to throw these youngsters into the fire. He knows he will get two, possibly three deep playoff runs in a four year cycle with this formula. Bethel, with all the defensive studs they graduate will be tough in 2019.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OldAuggie

When UST started out the year playing Trinity International, we could assume that it was a statement to the players, fans and the MIAC that UST was so confident in their superiority and did not care they were literally wasting a great opportunity to play a strong opponent and actually get better. I believe that level of thinking carried in to the season and the weak half of the MIAC actually "appeared" stronger than it was. What possible benefit does playing a super cup cake like Trinty offer UST?

Answer: A big 'ol bite in the a$$.

Iron Sharpens Iron but Play-DohTM (Trinity International) won't sharpen anything.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

repete

Quote from: sjusection105 on December 17, 2018, 08:11:32 PM
The Bethel Royals will be a force to be reckoned with in 2019. I've seen this movie before. Steve Johnson has done this time after time. Get a stud RB (this time around he's Sam Gibas) throw him in as a Freshman, baptized by fire. Get a stud read-option QB (this time around his name is Jaran Roste) throw him in as a Freshman,baptized by fire. Throw in a offensive line that play with a chip on their shoulders and you have a very capable offense and Steve Johnson has directed this performance about 5 times in the past 20 years. Johnson will take a 5-5 season to throw these youngsters into the fire. He knows he will get two, possibly three deep playoff runs in a four year cycle with this formula. Bethel, with all the defensive studs they graduate will be tough in 2019.

Yup, I've told whoever would listen that Johnson was too good of a coach to keep Bethel down (by their standards) too long. For him to falter would likely take some major decline in admin support or some kind of staffing issues. Don't see that.

Some very good MIAC team will sit at home next postseason and we'll all be wondering how many teams in the field it could have beat.

art76

Quote from: OldAuggie on December 17, 2018, 08:14:36 PM
Iron Sharpens Iron but Play-DohTM (Trinity International) won't sharpen anything.

This is hilarious, Old Auggie - +K.

Very salient points about the top three teams in the MIAC - and it only bodes well for them all to keep raising the bar/standard. But will the rest of the conference be able to keep up? There was a lot, and I mean a lot, of disparity outside the top three teams this season. While #4, Gustavus pushed the Tommies, they were soundly defeated by both Bethel and St. John's.

FWIW, Bethel had all their "hard games" at home this season, which means they play both St. John's and St. Thomas as away games next season.

And I concur, one team is going to be hating life on week 12 and following next season.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

DustySJU

Quote from: retagent on December 17, 2018, 01:10:31 PM
But they have to pass SJU to get to the Cities. And no one, NO ONE, can pass up the smell of Johnnie bread, the serenity of the campus, and the high quality of education and people that reside there. ;D ;D ;D

Well said. Pass the strawberry jam.  :o
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

jamtod

Quote from: art76 on December 17, 2018, 08:59:15 PM

This is hilarious, Old Auggie - +K.

Very salient points about the top three teams in the MIAC - and it only bodes well for them all to keep raising the bar/standard. But will the rest of the conference be able to keep up? There was a lot, and I mean a lot, of disparity outside the top three teams this season. While #4, Gustavus pushed the Tommies, they were soundly defeated by both Bethel and St. John's.

FWIW, Bethel had all their "hard games" at home this season, which means they play both St. John's and St. Thomas as away games next season.

And I concur, one team is going to be hating life on week 12 and following next season.

Likewise, UST faced all of it's toughest matchups on the road this year.

I think some are reading more into the Trinity International scheduling than is necessary. It's basically the same reason SJU played Scholastica- the opponent was willing. The alternative is a 9 game schedule a la Linfield where you lack the opportunity to lose to a Stout or whatever. What's the fun in that?

OzJohnnie

Crown. Long the season opening or closing easy beat SJU's best years.
[  

miac952

When UST started out the year playing Trinity International, we could assume that it was a statement to the players, fans and the MIAC that UST was so confident in their superiority and did not care they were literally wasting a great opportunity to play a strong opponent and actually get better. I believe that level of thinking carried in to the season and the weak half of the MIAC actually "appeared" stronger than it was. What possible benefit does playing a super cup cake like Trinty offer UST?

Answer: A big 'ol bite in the a$$.

I recognize the difficulty of grasping this subject for an Auggie fan. When a program shows some semblance of competency, teams aren't knocking down the door to play you. The difference is probably striking given Auggie likely has to staff a 24/7 call center to manage the suitors lining up to pencil in a W on the schedule. When faced with prospects of playing a 9 game schedule or Trinity, UST chose wisely.