FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugsy

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

NCF

Quote from: Mugsy on February 07, 2012, 06:14:17 PM
Good article that gives perspective on the kind of person Shawn Wild was.

http://naperville.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/the-continuing-tragedy-of-mr-wilds-death/

Absolutely agree! This week has got to be very hard for the parents as well as the students and staff.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

lakeshore

as usual some coaching shake up at NP as OC Winter leaves for HS job in GA.

Just found out from our friends at church that 2009 1st team All CCIW RB Charlie Velling is back in the Wheaton football program.  If you include both returning QB's and Velling that means Wheaton potentially has 10 starters back on offense including three 1st team all league players and all 5 starting OL from an 8-2 squad in '11.  Wow it could be a special year for the Thunder if they can can replace some guys on D and kicker.

matblake

Quote from: lakeshore on February 09, 2012, 07:43:43 AM
Just found out from our friends at church that 2009 1st team All CCIW RB Charlie Velling is back in the Wheaton football program. 

This would be of a huge benefit to the Thunder, assuming his play would be at the same level. 

Gregory Sager

DC Eric Rausch has left, too, and has been replaced by Bill Lund. I don't think that these guys are leaving NPU because of philosophical differences or because they're tired of losing. I think that everyone around the NPU program feels very good about the direction in which the Vikings are heading. It's pretty obvious that the Park is on the verge of breaking through to ... uh ... well, let's be honest, mediocrity is the next step up. But, still ...

Coordinator jobs at NPU just don't pay very much, and Chicago's an expensive place to live. And, let's be honest, right now NPU is the kind of place that you use as a steppingstone if you're an assistant football coach.

I just hope that Scott Pethtel can get things squared away with his new staff. The fact that these coaching changes are happening right in the middle of recruiting season hurts.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

matblake

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 10, 2012, 01:05:25 AM

DC Eric Rausch has left, too, and has been replaced by Bill Lund. I don't think that these guys are leaving NPU because of philosophical differences or because they're tired of losing.

Coordinator jobs at NPU just don't pay very much, and Chicago's an expensive place to live. And, let's be honest, right now NPU is the kind of place that you use as a steppingstone if you're an assistant football coach.

I just hope that Scott Pethtel can get things squared away with his new staff. The fact that these coaching changes are happening right in the middle of recruiting season hurts.

This is true for many D3 schools.  Wheaton just lost a valued assistant to go back to his alma mater Mt. Union.  I would say that it is more unusual nowadays to have an assistant that stays at one place a long time, especially at the non-coordinator level.  Considering that many of these guys are younger and starting families, and that most of them have "regular" jobs as well can cause them to be a bit migratory.

As far as assistant coaches, it does hurt recruiting.  Not in the sense that, "Hey, an assistant coach left, the program must be in turmoil" but in the sense that there may be a portion of the area or country that isn't being recruited because an assistant isn't around.  Not only do most assistants do x's and o's, they are often heavily responsible for recruiting at the D3 level. 

NCF

Quote from: matblake on February 10, 2012, 08:31:36 AM

DC Eric Rausch has left, too, and has been replaced by Bill Lund. I don't think that these guys are leaving NPU because of philosophical differences or because they're tired of losing.

This is true for many D3 schools.  Wheaton just lost a valued assistant to go back to his alma mater Mt. Union.  I would say that it is more unusual nowadays to have an assistant that stays at one place a long time, especially at the non-coordinator level.  Considering that many of these guys are younger and starting families, and that most of them have "regular" jobs as well can cause them to be a bit migratory.

As far as assistant coaches, it does hurt recruiting.  Not in the sense that, "Hey, an assistant coach left, the program must be in turmoil" but in the sense that there may be a portion of the area or country that isn't being recruited because an assistant isn't around.  Not only do most assistants do x's and o's, they are often heavily responsible for recruiting at the D3 level.

I would agree on the coaches moving around, especially those who want to eventually become a HC or move up a level. I would think, though,  that any new assistant  that was hired would be assigned the recruiting area left vacant.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

matblake

Quote from: newcardfan on February 10, 2012, 10:59:54 AM

I would agree on the coaches moving around, especially those who want to eventually become a HC or move up a level. I would think, though,  that any new assistant  that was hired would be assigned the recruiting area left vacant.

Sorry, should have made myself clearer.  Was just agreeing with Sager that not having an assistant coach hurts recruiting.  Naturally, when a new one is hired he would be plugged into where there was a recruiting hole.

NCF

Quote from: matblake on February 10, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on February 10, 2012, 10:59:54 AM

Sorry, should have made myself clearer.  Was just agreeing with Sager that not having an assistant coach hurts recruiting.  Naturally, when a new one is hired he would be plugged into where there was a recruiting hole.

These boards are way too quiet during the off season.

matblake

NCF

Quote from: matblake on February 14, 2012, 10:18:09 AM
Off season post.  Sure, it's about tennis, but a good article anyway.  http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2012/2/13/MTEN_williams_feature.aspx?path=mten

Great Inspirational story. Hopefully everything works out well for Jordan.

Stagg Again!!

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2012/02/nefc-splits

Interesting article on d3football.com.  Unfortunately, It appears that Pool C will be shrinking by one slot to accomodate the new conference.  Looks like the two conferences will provide 7 and 8 seeds year in and year out while a strong WIAC, OAC, or CCIW team stays home!!!

NCF

Quote from: Stagg or Bust on February 15, 2012, 03:24:54 PM

Interesting article on d3football.com.  Unfortunately, It appears that Pool C will be shrinking by one slot to accomodate the new conference.  Looks like the two conferences will provide 7 and 8 seeds year in and year out while a strong WIAC, OAC, or CCIW team stays home!!!
I saw that also. I don't think that is a good thing, unless you expand the # of play-off teams by eight and give the #1 seed in each region a fisrt round bye.

matblake

Quote from: newcardfan on February 15, 2012, 03:33:12 PM

I saw that also. I don't think that is a good thing, unless you expand the # of play-off teams by eight and give the #1 seed in each region a fisrt round bye.

From a strict football standpoint, I think it varies from year to year as conferences as a whole typically have up and down periods.  From an NCAA D3 perspective, this is what D3 is about, giving everyone access to a championship.  While the "power" conferences might not like it, the system is set up where everyone has a shot at the playoffs.  If you want in, win the conference and get the pool A slot. You can't fault conferences from using the rules to their advantage.   

NCF

Quote from: matblake on February 15, 2012, 04:16:19 PM
Quote from: newcardfan on February 15, 2012, 03:33:12 PM

From a strict football standpoint, I think it varies from year to year as conferences as a whole typically have up and down periods.  From an NCAA D3 perspective, this is what D3 is about, giving everyone access to a championship.  While the "power" conferences might not like it, the system is set up where everyone has a shot at the playoffs.  If you want in, win the conference and get the pool A slot. You can't fault conferences from using the rules to their advantage.

Time for the CCIW to expand into two divisions and get two AQ's plus possibly a third entry in almost every year. Won't ever happen, but just think of the possibilities. ;D