Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Vandy74

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 03, 2017, 05:44:33 PM
From SCIAC

http://www.thesciac.org/sports/wlax/2016-17/files/WLAX_PST_2017

I noticed C-M-S on three NESCAC schedules early this season.  2-1 against Amherst and Williams with #18 Tufts defeating them 16-8.  It's good to see at least one SCIAC program aspire to something better than a possible regional round victory and then be an easy out.  Mount Union's success in their first four seasons ought to have shown the perennial western powers that playing competitively at the next level was very doable.  Denison noticed when that new Ohio team become equally as good as the best of the NCAC before the program's inaugural class had graduated.  Cortland St., Brockport and Fredonia out of the SUNYAC, and Rensselaer, Springfield and Stevenson make up the out of conference schedule.  They were 4-2 against that slate and they also beat Mount Union 15-7.  Colorado College, a western program that once played in the Final Four, has an excellent team.  Against #6 Colby they lost 21-14.  They lost 23-14 to #20 Bowdoin.  They went 3-1 against other eastern opposition.  They beat probable CCIW tournament rep Augustana and demolished Concordia-Wis. who is the strongest candidate to play from the MWLC.  C-M-S beat Colorado College 15-11. 

There is nothing more predictable than which teams will make the Top 20 each season.  The infusion of new blood is long overdue.  It's good to see that some programs are intent on making it happen.

magicman

It was a number of years in the making but Plattsburgh State has finally beaten Cortland in Men's Lacrosse. The Cardinals lost a game to the Red Dragons a week ago 12-9 after leading for most of the first half. Today they never trailed as they were up 2-1 after the first period and 4-3 at the half. They scored 2 goals in the 3rd period while holding Cortland scoreless and won the final period by a 4-3 margin to win going away by a 10-6 final score. It was the first SUNYAC Conference Championship in Men's Lax for Plattsburgh. Would be nice if the Cardinals could carry their good fortune into the NCAA's and win a tournament game but I'm happy with the Conference Title if that's all we get this year.

Sitting with AD Mike Howard last Sunday at the Men's and Women's basketball banquet I lamented to him how we had the lead against Cortland the day before but couldn't close the deal. He said, "well maybe the fact that we could hang with them will prove to be in our favor, if we get to play them next Saturday for the championship." It was an insightful statement as we won the game that mattered. 8-) As I stated at the beginning...it was a long time coming. 

Vandy74

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 06, 2017, 01:29:07 AM
From SCIAC

They beat probable CCIW tournament rep Augustana and demolished Concordia-Wis. who is the strongest candidate to play from the MWLC.  C-M-S beat Colorado College 15-11. 

OK, so make a liar outta me.  Congratulations to Hamline for winning the MWLC championship game over Concordia-Wis. today 10-9, avenging a 15-8 loss during the regular season.  This is only the second season Hamline has played women's lacrosse at the varsity level.  Also congrats to IWU, winners today over Augustana for the CCIW crown.  It's the third varsity season for the Titans' program.

While the Middlebury women fell to Colby in today's NESCAC semifinal round game the #6 seed Panther men upset top ranked and previously undefeated Bates by a 14-13 score to advance to the championship game.  Tough day for favorites.

Vandy74

Quote from: magicman on May 06, 2017, 05:21:11 PM
It was a number of years in the making but Plattsburgh State has finally beaten Cortland in Men's Lacrosse. The Cardinals lost a game to the Red Dragons a week ago 12-9 after leading for most of the first half. Today they never trailed as they were up 2-1 after the first period and 4-3 at the half. They scored 2 goals in the 3rd period while holding Cortland scoreless and won the final period by a 4-3 margin to win going away by a 10-6 final score. It was the first SUNYAC Conference Championship in Men's Lax for Plattsburgh. Would be nice if the Cardinals could carry their good fortune into the NCAA's and win a tournament game but I'm happy with the Conference Title if that's all we get this year.

Sitting with AD Mike Howard last Sunday at the Men's and Women's basketball banquet I lamented to him how we had the lead against Cortland the day before but couldn't close the deal. He said, "well maybe the fact that we could hang with them will prove to be in our favor, if we get to play them next Saturday for the championship." It was an insightful statement as we won the game that mattered. 8-) As I stated at the beginning...it was a long time coming.

magicman.....congratulations on the the Cardinals' first Men's Lax SUNYAC Championship.  I have some lacrosse left to watch tomorrow hoping to see the Middlebury men's run continue.  This team was ranked preseason but never seemed to find their groove until just recently.  Wesleyan only beat them by a pair in the regular season game so who knows? 

amh63

Magicman...will add my congrats to that of Vandy for the TITLE.  Those Red Dragons of Cortland can be a firery bunch.
Vandy....watched the Colby take down of your Panthers.  Even saw a bit of the Bates' lost.  Lax is a team sport but individual players can make a big impact...like in basketball.  The Panther player dominated the faceoffs...giving Midd more chances,imo.
Never thought that Middlebury would dominate tennis :).  Now that is a sport that individual matchups make a difference.
All in all....will await this coming Fall and Winter when Amherst can show its skills :).

Gray Fox

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 06, 2017, 01:29:07 AM
From SCIAC

I noticed C-M-S on three NESCAC schedules early this season.  2-1 against Amherst and Williams with #18 Tufts defeating them 16-8.  It's good to see at least one SCIAC program aspire to something better than a possible regional round victory and then be an easy out.  Mount Union's success in their first four seasons ought to have shown the perennial western powers that playing competitively at the next level was very doable.  Denison noticed when that new Ohio team become equally as good as the best of the NCAC before the program's inaugural class had graduated.  Cortland St., Brockport and Fredonia out of the SUNYAC, and Rensselaer, Springfield and Stevenson make up the out of conference schedule.  They were 4-2 against that slate and they also beat Mount Union 15-7.  Colorado College, a western program that once played in the Final Four, has an excellent team.  Against #6 Colby they lost 21-14.  They lost 23-14 to #20 Bowdoin.  They went 3-1 against other eastern opposition.  They beat probable CCIW tournament rep Augustana and demolished Concordia-Wis. who is the strongest candidate to play from the MWLC.  C-M-S beat Colorado College 15-11. 

There is nothing more predictable than which teams will make the Top 20 each season.  The infusion of new blood is long overdue.  It's good to see that some programs are intent on making it happen.
Lacrosse has not been a traditional sport in Southern California.
I'm sure it is spreading at the high school level.  In the meantime it is a good recruiting tool.
Fierce When Roused

magicman

The Salisbury men complete back to back National Championships by downing RIT 15-7. Impressive win for the Sea Gulls who trailed 1-0 before kicking their offense into high gear. Up 6-4 at the half, they used a dominant 3rd quarter where they outscored the Tigers 6-2 to double their opponents score and coast to the victory.

Vandy74

Congratulations to ex Middlebury assistant coach Alice Lee on being selected to replace Williams' retiring HC Christine Mason.  Lee will be replaced at Middlebury by Katie Ritter, MC '15 and two-time All-American selection.

ephsports.williams.edu/sports/wlax/2016-17/releases/20170523h46hxb

athletics.middlebury.edu/sports/wlax/2016-17/releases/20170616grfo23

amh63

Vandy74. ..thanks for the latested in the musical chairs of HC's in the Nescac.
Just want to add the new HC at Williams was an assistant at Amherst prior to going to Middlebury.

ephoops

Inspired hire by Williams in tapping Alice Lee as the new HC of WLAX.

The Midd women loved working with Alice.  Great coach -- better person.

In three years she will have Williams back in the top half of the NESCAC.

PolarCat

Anybody home?

NESCAC WLAX competition starts next week.  Bates has already notched a victory over Colorado College, a mere 8 days after their season started.  I was hoping that, with the demise of LaxPower, there might be some life on this board.  But it's like a morgue in here.

It should be an interesting season, as I expect the rules changes will play an outsized impact. 

Anyone?

amh63

PolarCat....so this is where you wandered too ;).  I have noticed that Amherst has several games scheduled this weekend...Colby may be one though I forgot men or women.  Amherst WBB is still playing.  Mention that sport because one starting guard...Ms Fox was selected 1st team all conference.  Ms Fox, a Soph, is also a lacrosse player.  If she is as good in Lax as she is in WBB, watch out. 
Did check the men's Lax roster....Amherst must have a zillion FY players.  Both assistants, one new, were star Lax players for Amherst...class of '16.  Does your son play Lax?

Vandy74

I'm first and foremost a basketball junkie.  I forgot the lacrosse season has begun.  Checking scores I see that PolarCat, amh63 and I are happy with the results on the women's side.  Amherst edged Colby 13-12, getting a win against one of the conference's perennial contenders.  The Middlebury men defeated Bates 11-10, also an important win and good start after a rare disappointing season.  Middlebury and Amherst meet at two tomorrow afternoon to decide who the NESCAC women's ice hockey champion should be. The Panthers are playing host. The women's lacrosse team was rude enough to schedule a game at Springfield that will start an hour earlier.  I'm not sure if I'll stay home and watch as much as I can of each on the computer, or settle for only watching the first half of the lax.   :-\  Road games on consecutive days, a tough way to start a season.

PolarCat

Good, early season match up next Saturday between the Polar Bear and the Mammothettes.  Hard to judge much from yesterday's beat down of Conn College.  Despite playing the entire bench, the Polar Bears racked up 20-plus points for the first time since 2000.  Is Bowdoin that good?  Or is Connected struggling to adjust to their new coach?  Next week should provide some clarity.

The Tufts Hamilton game was also lopsided.  I expect we will see more of these with the new shot clock rule.  A coach can't print good sportsmanship by just passing the ball around, as that will result in a turnover this year.  I've criticized teams like Augustan for running up the score in years past.  But the new rules pretty much mandate that behavior in 2018.

Can you guys recruit someone else to this board?  We need a 4th for bridge.