FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK

OK.  I figured out how to change my name back to "JK."

Now I just need to figure out how to put a gaudy crusader helmet on here, a la Reality's polar bear.

formerly known as

The fancy pictures are nice, but I'll settle with just getting used to the new format.....

l39eagle

RC, Nice job with the Bear.That's the way to represent!!

b4uknewit

scotty

what is the reasoning in bringing in such large recruiting classes lately? is it working and do most of the players stick? just curious?...
Boo Creepy Foot Doctor, Hooray Beer.

b4uknewit

Thanks Pat and D3 staff--ROLL~~RAIDERS!

b4uknewit

l39eagle

[/color 
Scotty, I'm sure colleges don't mind getting that many recruits in; let's see, 186 football players in camp at roughly $30,000 a head to attend school,  that equates to $5,580,000.  Granted not all pay the same due to grants, but DIII football can sure create an influx in students, and in turn dollars, through their football programs.  This is not meant to sound cynical, but economics does play a part, IMO.

purple

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

reality check

Scotty

Mt. Union has a big program but it's not about wooing kids for their dollars.  MUC, ONU, BW...all these programs have big more than 120 kids in camp because these schools have desirable football programs to be a part of.  Attrition rates in div. III are high because of a variety of reasons (grades, money, competition).  Coaches don't mind having tons of able bodies in their program because those bodies leave over a four year period.  The point that was being made is that from a fiscal perspective, schools benefit from a no-cut environment because the cost of putting a kid theough your program is far lower than the tuition the school will collect.  But do not make the mistake of thinking that the coaches are trying to woo kids to get that tuition dollar. 

Don't go assuming its a sad trend because this is not the motivation the programs have for carrying so many kids.  The tuition is a byproduct of the system.

scotty

i guess i feel much better now...so its a good thing...
Boo Creepy Foot Doctor, Hooray Beer.

seventiesraider

Thanks Pat. After the past week you probably now know why I walked away from a career in computers and now teach computers. Let someone else stay up all night trying to make things work.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

b4uknewit

Scotty-- Now you feel much better, you may want to paticipate in the NCAC dicussions.  They are repoting 106 campers at Wabash :-\

b4uknewit

Actually, If Johny wants to play football, that's his business. If Daddy wants to pay for it, thats his business. If Johnny, the University, and the Football Program all benefits, while Johnny gets a solid education thats just GOOD BUSINESS!