MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

middhoops

Amherst is on a roll. 
Much as I (and all Midd fans) will be rooting for Hamilton tonight, no way I'd bet against Hixon's team right now.

granddaddyhoops

When are the NESCAC MBB honors announced ?

Colby Hoops

Quote from: granddaddyhoops on February 13, 2019, 03:12:22 PM
When are the NESCAC MBB honors announced ?

At the end of the month, after the conference tournament is over.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Old Guy

JEFFFAN

Congrats to Hamilton for a tough win over the Jeffs tonite.   I would prefer to say that the Jeffs were tired, but - nah - Hamilton played tough defense down the stretch to earn the win.  Remarkably similar team stats for the game with the final margin probably not reflective of how close the game was.   Well deserved win for Hamilton!

Colby Hoops

Pretty darn close with that guess Old Guy! Hamilton wins 81-77.

Good game between two evenly matched teams. Amherst dominated down low and on the boards in the first half, but Hamilton came out playing really well early in the second half. Both Peter Hoffman and Kena Gilmour played much better in the second half. Also, Saya Denloye had a stretch late in the first half that was critical, kept Hamilton within reach when it looked like Amherst might pull away.

Fru Che shot lights out in the second half after struggling in the first half and Grant Robinson was good throughout. The last 10 minutes were back and forth and could have gone either way. The old Willy Workman play didn't work at the end for Sellew at the free throw line with a couple seconds left.

Congrats to Midd on the regular season conference title. The conference tournament will be a battle -- there's very little separation between Midd, Amherst, Hamilton and Williams.

AllStar

jumpshot

In Clinton, New York it's pronounced amHerrrst ....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jumpshot on February 13, 2019, 11:48:58 PM
In Clinton, New York it's pronounced amHerrrst ....

The Williams guys were doing that, too.  I'm going to start writing Am_erst everywhere.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

amh63

Colby Hoops and JEFFFAN...writeups are good and fair. Plus K. Tight and well played game.  Had a problem with the foul calls and the announcer on hand.  The stats were close....except for the foul shots.  Hamilton shot and made much more foul shots.  Could conclude that the game was determined on the foul lane.
The announcer seemed overwhelmed...had trouble with the Amherst players...pronouncing the names, who was going in and which team had the ball after after a whistle was blown.
In reflection, Hamilton's HC May have have rotated his players better than Coach Hixon.  There was a non starter guard put in by Hamilton that scored inside almost at will at times,IMO.
Hat off to Hamilton!  Maybe Amherst will meet Hamilton again on a neutral court :)
Don't like the match with Wes as the result.  Do like the spot Amherst is in wrt the 2nd Regional rankings.
AllStar...thanks for Nescac matchup chart. Plus K

middhoops

As basketball friends of mine know, I don't believe that (in the end) many games are decided by officiating.  Too many calls from the opening whistle to determine fairness.  And fairness itself is a flawed concept.
However.....the 2nd half last night was perplexing at times.  Under the hoop, high levels of physical violence was permitted while away from the basket, touch fouls were called on the LJs a bunch.
Amh63 is right to call that out.
Of course since I was rooting hard for Hamilton, it didn't break my heart.  But even I noticed the disparity.

Hamilton and Amherst's games with Midd and each other have been absolute barn burners in the past week.  The playoffs should be intense, in a good way.
Colby and Wesleyan in particular loom as very dangerous road warriors.

ContinentalDomer

Quote from: ContinentalDomer on February 14, 2019, 10:44:11 AM
It was an outstanding game; the teams are very closely matched, despite differences in styles.  In the first half, Amherst destroyed Hamilton on the boards.  This one was filled with very physical play, especially by Amherst, which had a distinct size advantage that they exploited during the first 20 minutes (Schenider, Bachman), and when they needed some key buckets (Sellew) in the last five minutes.  Denloye single-handedly kept Hamilton within striking distance during the opening session; combined with Gilmour's brilliance, it was Hamilton's ability to execute on offense in the second half, to rebound with more purpose, and to win 50/50 balls that turned the tide. 

As to any foul disparity, Hamilton made 6 FTs in the final 30 seconds, the final 4 of which were the product of Amherst intentionally (and correctly) putting the Continentals on the line to lengthen the game. Sure, those tipped the numeric balance.  Yet I'm not sure any of that qualifies as evidence of a legitimate disparity.  Among other disparities, the sheer number of non-calls on over-the-back boards by Amherst, the ridiculous jump ball call (late) in front of Coach Hixon (which he sold like the veteran sideline general he is), and an obvious deflection out of bounds by #1 that was awarded to the LJs in the waning moments more than "evened" any perceived disparity.  The foul disparity canard, without context, makes for good message board sausage.  But as Midd suggests below, the game was not decided at the FT line, except to the extent that Hamilton made all of them when it mattered most.

This was an outstanding game by two teams that each have a whole lot left to play for.

Quote from: amh63 on February 14, 2019, 08:09:10 AM
Colby Hoops and JEFFFAN...writeups are good and fair. Plus K. Tight and well played game.  Had a problem with the foul calls and the announcer on hand.  The stats were close....except for the foul shots.  Hamilton shot and made much more foul shots.  Could conclude that the game was determined on the foul lane.
The announcer seemed overwhelmed...had trouble with the Amherst players...pronouncing the names, who was going in and which team had the ball after after a whistle was blown.
In reflection, Hamilton's HC May have have rotated his players better than Coach Hixon.  There was a non starter guard put in by Hamilton that scored inside almost at will at times,IMO.
Hat off to Hamilton!  Maybe Amherst will meet Hamilton again on a neutral court :)
Don't like the match with Wes as the result.  Do like the spot Amherst is in wrt the 2nd Regional rankings.
AllStar...thanks for Nescac matchup chart. Plus K

jayhawk

Interesting Amherst took 8 foul shots and Hamilton took I think 21 or 23 foul shots. A few of those fouls on Amherst was because at the end of the game they tried to catch up by fouling.  Home court advantage?
Perhaps biggest foul difficulty with at the Eric Sellew picked up two quick fouls in the first half and had reduced minutes
Then in the beginning of second half he was almost immediately calle for a third foul and went to the bench

Reduced minutes for Sellew is a challange for Amherst in terms of both scoring and rebounding and moving the ball though boht Joe Schneieider and CJ Bachman played well.

The NESCAC playoffs will be interesting this weekend

Conts Fan

Also, sometimes basketball games result in one team having more fouls than the other team because they committed more fouls.