MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescacfaninbos

Another early NESCAC commitment:

https://twitter.com/MiddlesexMagic/status/1158490181437218818?s=20

Nice pick-up for Tufts, just won the "Shot for Life" competition in MA.

lumbercat

Ex Bates QB Matt Bazirgan is Director of Player Personnel with the NFL Houston Texans.

nescac1

Something to toss out for the slowest part of the off-season.  Picks for break-out players in NESCAC.  To be eligible, must be a returning player who was not a starter and averaged fewer than 20 mpg last season.

1. Alex Sobel, Middlebury -- beyond obvious top choice, his per-minute production was crazy.  He will be a three-year productive starting center at worst. 
2. Spencer Spivy, Williams -- I like guys who show flashes in big moments and he made the most of his post-season opportunities.  Someone has to score from the perimeter for Williams next year, and he can definitely shoot it from deep. 
3. Nick Osarenren, Hamilton -- like Williams, Hamilton suffered huge losses to graduation, and he shined in a lot of big moments.  Really long and athletic with big upside, could be a two-way monster. 
4. Jovan Jones, Williams -- similar to Osarenren, strong, long and athletic, potential lock down defender and rebounder this season who will develop in time into a scorer. 
5. Shackylle Dezonie -- Wesleyan has, obviously, massive holes on the perimeter.  Dezonie is yet another big, strong, athletic dude who could be a big-time player as his skills catch up to his frame
6. Sam Grad, Bowdoin -- only rising Junior on the list.  Thought he would break out last year, but Bowdoin badly needs him to step in for Simonds and be a big point producer this year
7. Sam Peek, Wesleyan -- highly touted recruit who showed flashes late in the season.  Again, Wesleyan needs to find wing scoring from somewhere.
8. Sayo Denloye, Hamilton -- very quick and pesky and can shoot from deep.  He has patiently waited his turn and I expect he will be Hamilton's lead guard as a senior. 
9. Spencer Kendall, Hamilton -- fantastic athlete with good size who will likely be Hamilton's go-to guy on the inside.  Could take a big leap forward if he can harness athleticism.
10. Jared Whitt, Trinity -- huge and with good outside touch, played a lot of minutes late in the season for Trinity. 

Dark horse: Will Phelan, Amherst -- talented all-around wing who looked like he belonged on the floor, especially on the defensive end, when he played limited minutes last year.  If Hixon moves Sellew to the 5 and Che to the 4, that will open up minutes for Phelan and potentially a healthy Tim McCarthy.  If Hixon sticks with a two-big lineup and plays his young centers, Phelan may be stuck deep on the bench for another season. 

jayhawk

I see some discussion about former NESCAC graduates in pro basketball
Some other names
Glenn Wong-(Amherst) OKC- senior executive lead for executive leadership and GM
Ezra Van Negri (Amherst) OKC- Strategic Planning Analyst
Ken Catanella (Amherst) Sacramento -Assistant GM
David Wasserman (Amherst) minority owner of Atlanta Hawks
John Halas (Trinity'05/Amherst) NY Knicks Scout
Andrew Olson (Amherst) Cleveland Cavaliers shooting coach
H. Irving Grousbeck (Amherst) Co-owner Boston Celtics

JEFFFAN

NESCAC1 - your posts are, legitimately, the best of the lot on this site but you've got to show a little more love to my Jeffs other an a dark horse nomination!!     :)

Quote from: nescac1 on August 13, 2019, 03:38:58 PM
Something to toss out for the slowest part of the off-season.  Picks for break-out players in NESCAC.  To be eligible, must be a returning player who was not a starter and averaged fewer than 20 mpg last season.

1. Alex Sobel, Middlebury -- beyond obvious top choice, his per-minute production was crazy.  He will be a three-year productive starting center at worst. 
2. Spencer Spivy, Williams -- I like guys who show flashes in big moments and he made the most of his post-season opportunities.  Someone has to score from the perimeter for Williams next year, and he can definitely shoot it from deep. 
3. Nick Osarenren, Hamilton -- like Williams, Hamilton suffered huge losses to graduation, and he shined in a lot of big moments.  Really long and athletic with big upside, could be a two-way monster. 
4. Jovan Jones, Williams -- similar to Osarenren, strong, long and athletic, potential lock down defender and rebounder this season who will develop in time into a scorer. 
5. Shackylle Dezonie -- Wesleyan has, obviously, massive holes on the perimeter.  Dezonie is yet another big, strong, athletic dude who could be a big-time player as his skills catch up to his frame
6. Sam Grad, Bowdoin -- only rising Junior on the list.  Thought he would break out last year, but Bowdoin badly needs him to step in for Simonds and be a big point producer this year
7. Sam Peek, Wesleyan -- highly touted recruit who showed flashes late in the season.  Again, Wesleyan needs to find wing scoring from somewhere.
8. Sayo Denloye, Hamilton -- very quick and pesky and can shoot from deep.  He has patiently waited his turn and I expect he will be Hamilton's lead guard as a senior. 
9. Spencer Kendall, Hamilton -- fantastic athlete with good size who will likely be Hamilton's go-to guy on the inside.  Could take a big leap forward if he can harness athleticism.
10. Jared Whitt, Trinity -- huge and with good outside touch, played a lot of minutes late in the season for Trinity. 

Dark horse: Will Phelan, Amherst -- talented all-around wing who looked like he belonged on the floor, especially on the defensive end, when he played limited minutes last year.  If Hixon moves Sellew to the 5 and Che to the 4, that will open up minutes for Phelan and potentially a healthy Tim McCarthy.  If Hixon sticks with a two-big lineup and plays his young centers, Phelan may be stuck deep on the bench for another season.

nescac1

Jefffan, appreciate ... I'd love to hear an Amherst fan's perspective on who that might be, it just seems (alas) that there won't be much opportunity at Amherst for young guys to emerge, given that Amherst brings every key guy who didn't play center last year.  Y'all are loaded this year.  Whereas if young guys don't explode onto the scene at Hamilton and Williams, both are headed for a major drop-off. 

I imagine one of the young centers might emerge, but I've never seen any of 'em play!  And if I was Hixon, I'd go with a small lineup next year -- Sellew/Che/Allen/Robinson and take your pick of McCarthy/Phelan/Chery at the "3" would be I think much better on offense, without giving up that much on defense (or really, without given up anything on defense if Chery is the fifth guy), than last year's lineup.  Gulp.  To me, Che, Allen and Chery are three of the best on-ball defenders in the league, and maybe Robinson too, so the need for another rim protector isn't as strong. 

JustAFan

Williams announced its 2019-2020 schedule in its summer newsletter. New to the slate this year is a road match-up on January 14th against Jim Calhoun's St. Joe's team. This game will conclude a very tough 10 day January road trip in which the Ephs will play Union, Hamilton, Amherst and St. Joe on the road.  The Ephs also travel to Albertus Magnus in December.  Springfield, Union, Yeshiva, Fitchburg St and Oneonta St are on the schedule once again and the Ephs will again play in the Salem State New Year's holiday tournament, this year against Endicott and Salem State, which should be a very challenging weekend pair of games, and 4 days after that tournament the Ephs hit the road for the January road trip vs. Union et al.  Williams will be challenged early and often but hopefully it will strengthen them for league play later in January.

nescac1

One more thought on Amherst: I'm guessing that Hixon has Sellew pegged to move up to the five, given this prediction from Coach Hutchinson that Sellew will be the best rebounder in the country as a senior!

https://twitter.com/AHutchii/status/1156990421723205632

That's a sneakily difficult non-league schedule for Williams next year, featuring a bunch of teams that should be a LOT stronger than they were last season.  St Joe's, Endicott, Salem State, Yeshiva, Oneonta, Albertus Magnus and Springfield all bring everyone or nearly everyone of consequence back from young teams.  I'd say all of those teams enter the season as the favorites or co-favorites in their respective leagues, and there is a good chance at least five of those teams end up in the NCAA tourney.  Albertus Magnus and Endicott (among maybe others) added some big time talent in the off-season, as well.  Union should also be significantly better this season.  And of course there are the non-conference Little 3 games to boot.  A fairly green Williams team will be really challenged in the fall. 

Coach Calhoun must feel confident that his St. Joe's team, after playing nearly all first-years last season, will be a lot tougher in year two, considering they scheduled three tough NESCAC teams (Tufts and Trinity as well).  They could be a team to watch nationally as early as 20-21, when that first loaded frosh class has two years of experience under their belts. 

JEFFFAN

Was just busting you, NESCAC1.  I very much enjoy your posts.

I think that you might have it right about the Amherst roster.   They surprised a lot last year and those four are the obvious lineup stalwarts.  I would guess that McCarthy might be the surprise.   I have heard from more than a few folks that Hixon expected bigger things from the younger McCarthy than the older McCarthy when he entered Amherst, but injuries have derailed his career almost entirely.  It is unfortunate but reality.  I am seriously hoping that he is the surprise element for Amherst this year!

Quote from: nescac1 on August 14, 2019, 12:56:33 PM
Jefffan, appreciate ... I'd love to hear an Amherst fan's perspective on who that might be, it just seems (alas) that there won't be much opportunity at Amherst for young guys to emerge, given that Amherst brings every key guy who didn't play center last year.  Y'all are loaded this year.  Whereas if young guys don't explode onto the scene at Hamilton and Williams, both are headed for a major drop-off. 

I imagine one of the young centers might emerge, but I've never seen any of 'em play!  And if I was Hixon, I'd go with a small lineup next year -- Sellew/Che/Allen/Robinson and take your pick of McCarthy/Phelan/Chery at the "3" would be I think much better on offense, without giving up that much on defense (or really, without given up anything on defense if Chery is the fifth guy), than last year's lineup.  Gulp.  To me, Che, Allen and Chery are three of the best on-ball defenders in the league, and maybe Robinson too, so the need for another rim protector isn't as strong.

amh63

JEFFFAN....I too have heard that Tim has great ability/potential.  Question is where can he contribute if he has recovered from his injuries.  Believe that the younger front court players much be ready to backup the starters. 
Will wait to see how things are going when I get up to Homecoming.

WesCardPlayer

One other NESCAC alum working in/with the NBA that hasn't been mentioned thus far: Michele Roberts (Wesleyan): executive director of the NBA Players Association

jayhawk

interesting stat

Two years running Amherst has THE best national defensive field goal percentage in division III

https://www.instagram.com/p/BydxGU0BQDT/?igshid=10ji6s2pd8xlp

ContinentalDomer

Two Hamilton alumni, Peter Hoffmann and Michael Grassey, will play basketball and study in Ireland this year as Victory Scholars in the Sport Changes Life program.  Hoffmann will play for Cork IT, and Grassey will play for Waterford IT.  Here is a complete list of this year's SCL players:http://sportchangeslife.com/news/introducing-the-sport-changes-life-victory-scholar-class-of-2020/

Last year, former Trinity star Shay Ajayi (Ulster University) and two Amherst alumni, Johnny McCarthy (IT Carlow) and Mike Riopel (Ulster U.), were SCL Victory Scholars.  Matt St. Amour (Midd) and Jack Mackey (Wes) recently played in the SCL program as well.