Women's World Cup

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 07, 2007, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woacfan

Tomorrow is game number one for USWNT.  Will they rise to the challenge or flame out like the men?   Its hard to believe US has not won a World Cup since 1999.  As much as anything that was the event that inspired this generation of college player.  The next few weeks should be very interesting!  :o 
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

woacfan

2-nil over North Korea.... A slow start, but they took charge in the Second Half.  The change at Midfield was a difference maker.   After the disasterous Greg Ryan years, Sundhaage (sp?) has been a steadying influence.  The US should beat North Korea, and they did.  Its more than the men's team can say....

Mr. Ypsi

North Korea's teams tend to be very good, and impossible to scout since they rarely play anyone (publicly, at least).  If the psychopath who 'owns' the country doesn't purge the team (which he may well - reportedly the men's team was subjected to extreme sanctions, and the men's coach seems to have been disappeared), the women's team has to be considered a favorite to win it all in four more years, as they are the youngest team in the tourney (and 'won' the first half).

On to Columbia (which should be a win) and Sweden (which will be tough, but obviously winnable).

woacfan

The defense looked suspect in the first half, and Boxx was rough in the midfield.  The US defenders seem a little slow.  I would look to see other teams try to exploit that.  North Korea would have scored if they had more confident forwards.  They basically rolled the ball across the front of the goal--but couldn't put it away.  That was about as close as you can come and not score.

On the other hand,  a two goal win is about as good as its gotten in this tournament...a lot of close games so far.

Mr. Ypsi

I think our left side defense (at least today) IS suspect.  NK couldn't quite exploit it, but better teams might.  I'm hoping the coach can correct that before it is fatally exploited.

With no disrespect to some other very fine teams, I think the champion will be the winner of the (expected) Germany-USA semifinal. 

But a lot of games to go. ;)

woacfan

Saw a bit of Nigeria v. Germany today.  Germany doesn't look so dominant.  At the end Nigeria tried to run the German goalie, which caused a big uproar.  I saw a local high school coach pull the same trick against the keeper on my daughter's HS team.  The refs blew it then and today with a non-call. 
I am still amazed by the "gender gap" in soccer officiating.  Somewhere,  there is a patronizing paternalism (pardon the alliteration) that seems to believe that women are incapable of intentionally fouling one another.  Anyone who has watched any girls' or womens' soccer at a competitive level knows what a fallacy that is.  I thought back on the Elizabeth Lambert disaster last year after watching the knock down today and thought both of them came out of poor officiating.  Oh, I could go on, but enough rants for me today..... ::)

woacfan

What happened to Canada?   This was going to be their year, but instead it looks like they are going home at the bottom of Group.  That's sad.  My kid played club ball in Canada and they have some really talented players.  From what I've read, their soccer organization is even more dysfunctional than ours.  Their coach quit or was fired,  the players threatened to strike, the coach comes back,  the players don't have a decent stipend for travel, the women's team apparently is treated poorly up there....too bad!  :-\

Mr. Ypsi

TOTAL domination over Columbia today - 3-0, but it really wasn't even that close!

That puts the US at +5, so a win OR tie against Sweden wins the group (and avoids Brazil in the quarters).

woacfan

Great game for the US. 
Onl;y remaining question,  when does Abby's scoring drought end?  She managed to do everything but score today.  Have to agree with the commentator today, you have to feel when she breaks out the flood gates will open!  GO USA!

woacfan

France and Brazil seem to be the two main threats to the US right now.  Brazil is very fast up front, but their defense is shaky.  US matches up well with its more European passing game.  France,  however, has been a big surprise.  They look tough. 
Also,  don't count out Japan and Germany.  The Germans have lots of controversey with Birgit Prinz.   The Japan v. England match will be very telling.  If England beats Japan all bets are off....

This looks to be a fun week of women's soccer! ;D

woacfan

Exciting game between Germany and France, and England handles surprising Japan.  The Germans look to be back in top form.  Tomorrow its USA v. Sweeden. Although both teams have made it through to quarters it may tell a lot about USA's depth.  Also,  expect Abby to start, but if USA takes the lead she may be replaced by one of the youngsters.  They don't want to risk a second yellow on this game.....Can't wait!!!!!! :)

Mr. Ypsi

Ouch!  Abby finally gets a goal (and no card), but the US falls to Sweden 2-1.  Instead of Australia, we get Brazil in the quarters. :(

Oh well, to win it you have to beat the best eventually, but I sure had hoped to postpone the main threats a round further!

And at least Pia isn't gonna bench Hope against Brazil! ;D ;)

woacfan

Unfortunately, Brazil's strength play to USA's weakness.  Our back line is sloooooooooowwww.  :o  Everyone has been trying to take on the outside defenders.  With Brazil's speed Pia better have a new wrinkle on D or the USA will be done this weekend.   For starters,  they play too high for the speed they have.

Maybe they need a sweeper, but that would nullify any offside trap. 

They probably could use an agitator to mark Marta,  she seems to have a short fuse. At the very least they need to mark her to limit her offensive skills. 

Go USA!//

PS- College soccer season about two months away and counting! ;)

Gray Fox

Has anyone else noticed that there is no flopping and the refs are better in the women's WC.
Fierce When Roused

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 10, 2011, 12:21:43 AM
Has anyone else noticed that there is no flopping and the refs are better in the women's WC.

Not real certain about the refs (there have been some howlers), but you're certainly correct about the flopping.  NO flopping might be an overstatement, but WAY below what the men do.