MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Big news at IWU is that long-time SID and overall great guy Stew Salowitz is retiring.  A great run, a long and distinguished career, with many improvements and innovations around IWU sports and sports information over the years.  Thank you Stew for all the great work -- you and your team, and all those you have mentored over the years, too.  The end of an era for sure, in Titan sports.

As a sometime overseas fan, of course very much appreciated all the video streaming, keeping me in touch with Titan victories and achievements. 

An old and distant fan,

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on May 14, 2019, 02:48:21 AM
Big news at IWU is that long-time SID and overall great guy Stew Salowitz is retiring.

Having been the recipient of Stew's hospitality a few times when calling games as a visiting broadcaster down there, I threw a farewell shout-out to him on the air when IWU played at North Park in baseball last month. Gave one to departing CCIW commish Chris Martin as well this spring. It's good to connect with the larger CCIW community in a broadcast, especially when the more leisurely pace of baseball affords it.

Quote from: AndOne on May 13, 2019, 09:48:34 PM
In addition to being a good move athletic and administrative wise, it is also hard to find fault with it from a strictly business standpoint. After all, NPU spent time and money recruiting and training both the new VP, and the new head soccer coach. It seemingly behooves the institution to maintain these assets and give them the opportunity to flourish in their new positions. 👨‍🏫 ⚽️

Exactly. And, while it's a little out-of-the-box these days for a D3 school to have someone functioning in the AD role who has other responsibilities, there are some distinct institutional advantages to NPU's creating a different sort of position for John. Provided he has the support he needs to help out with his administrative responsibilities, this could really be a win-win for North Park. Kudos to President Surridge and her team for not being afraid to implement a different model for the AD job.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

North Central is proud to welcome Maliq Anderson from St. Joseph HS in Westchester, IL.
Maliq is a 2019 IBCA Class 3A Special Mention All-State 6'5" SF/PG who was a top target of the Cardinals this year.
For the season he averaged 15 PPG, 6.0 APG, and shot 89.7% from the line.
Welcome Maliq. 🏀

Gregory Sager

I'm shocked to see someone named Bottorff choose a CCIW school other than Millikin. Cary Bottorff was a standout linebacker for the Big Blue gridders in the mid-'80s, and Jeff Bottorff was a solid basketball player for MU in the late '80s.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 14, 2019, 04:27:15 PM
I'm shocked to see someone named Bottorff choose a CCIW school other than Millikin. Cary Bottorff was a standout linebacker for the Big Blue gridders in the mid-'80s, and Jeff Bottorff was a solid basketball player for MU in the late '80s.

Justin is Jeff's son.  He was probably heading to Millikin before the Big Blue let Matt Nadlehoffer go.  Then went to John Wood.

robertgoulet

Quote from: AndOne on May 14, 2019, 03:46:34 PM
NCC RECRUIT

North Central is proud to welcome Maliq Anderson from St. Joseph HS in Westchester, IL.
Maliq is a 2019 IBCA Class 3A Special Mention All-State 6'5" SF/PG who was a top target of the Cardinals this year.
For the season he averaged 15 PPG, 6.0 APG, and shot 89.7% from the line.
Welcome Maliq. 🏀
Exciting pick up!
You win! You always do!

Gregory Sager

Condolences to the family of former Vikings guard Scott Groot, who died in North Carolina on Monday at the age of 60 from brain cancer. Groot was the backup guard behind Michael Thomas and Bud Greer on North Park's 1979 and 1980 national championship teams, and then was the starting PG on the '81 and '82 teams. He was also a three-time All-CCIW honoree at quarterback for the NPC football team, and he was a .284 career hitter for the NPC baseball team. A Viking Hall of Famer, Scott was one of five Groot siblings who were North Park student-athletes in the '70s and '80s. Perhaps most notably, he was the most recent North Park student-athlete to hold the rare distinction of playing in each of the Big Three sports within the same school year, much less starting for each of the three Vikings squads, as he did in 1980-81. Given the specialization within youth sports that has followed in his wake over the past two generations, I'm betting that he'll be the last Viking to ever pull off that feat.

Peace to his memory.

Smitty Oom

Probably could find out if I really looked around but I wouldn't get all of the great commentary and dialogue.. How many CCIW teams have a JV team and what do their schedules and opponents look like?

Prompted by Augies large freshman class and wondering where they will all fit in.

Gregory Sager

Every CCIW program tries to field a JV team, Smitty. Occasionally, attrition will force a program to shut down its JV team for the season, but each of the nine programs -- even Wheaton, which more often than not has the smallest roster in the league in terms of the number of players -- endeavors to play a full JV schedule each year. Schedules are typically a dozen to a dozen and a half games long. CCIW JV teams sometimes play each other, especially on Wednesdays prior to varsity games, but the days when that was the customary prelim to a varsity game are long gone. Most JV games are played against jucos or non-CCIW JV squads.

kiko

Gregory is getting a head start on meeting his minimum threshold needed to be eligible for this year's Ypsi award...  ::)

Gregory Sager

To be fair, Smitty's an outsider to the CCIW ... and JV info is scant on the respective CCIW men's basketball webpages. I'm not sure how much info he could've gleaned on his own.

Titan Q

Quote from: Smitty Oom on May 16, 2019, 09:20:24 AM
Probably could find out if I really looked around but I wouldn't get all of the great commentary and dialogue.. How many CCIW teams have a JV team and what do their schedules and opponents look like?

Prompted by Augies large freshman class and wondering where they will all fit in.

I couldn't find the 2018-19 version, but here is IWU's 2017-18 JV schedule - https://www.iwusports.com/sports/2017/10/4/illinois-wesleyan-2017-18-junior-varsity-basketball-schedule.aspx?path=mbball.

Gregory Sager