BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

I thought about flipping those two, but I felt others would think I was a Carthage homer (which I am). The past two seasons have been tough as a Red Men fan, but I feel some good things are in order for 2014.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

CCIW preseason poll

1. Augustana  45 (3)
2. Illinois Wesleyan  44 (4)
3. Wheaton  34 (1)
4. North Park  32
5. North Central  27
6. Carthage  20
7. Elmhurst  15
8. Millikin    7
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 13, 2014, 01:55:48 PM
CCIW preseason poll

1. Augustana  45 (3)
2. Illinois Wesleyan  44 (4)
3. Wheaton  34 (1)
4. North Park  32
5. North Central  27
6. Carthage  20
7. Elmhurst  15
8. Millikin    7

Interesting that IWU got more first place votes(4) than Augustana(3), but was projected second in the CCIW. My prediction was not too far off this coaches poll.

coachmrclean

This season is going to be a close one!  Augustana College is picked to win it all with IWU right behind them.  Last years tourney was great to watch and came down to the last game with the host Augustana winning it!  Play Ball!

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

The CCIW is finally in action as NPU opens today with Piedmont and Millsaps before a single game tomorrow with Birmingham Southern. Should give us a feel for how strong the Vikes are going to be and if they are a legit contender in the CCIW. I think they may be a bit better than I advertised, and I advertised them as pretty good.

108 Stitches

Piedmont beat a very good Millsaps team, you never know from just one game, but they held them to 5 hits so pitching (at least yesterday) was good. I would think they will be a good test

Bishopleftiesdad

Kenyon from the NCAC plays Augustana on 3/2. So I was looking at schedules and it looks to me like Augustana takes 2 separate trips down to Florida:

http://www.athletics.augustana.edu/schedule.aspx?path=baseball&

From 2-23 to 2-26 they are in the RussMatt.
2 day break
from 3-1 to 3-4 they are in the Gene Cussic.
9 day break
they play one game at home on 3-15.
Another 5 day break
from 3-21 thriugh 3-23 they are back in Florida at the Gene Cussic again.

Doesn't look like they miss much class as 3-21 through 3-23 Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

But it does look like they would have a hefty travel budget.

Do they fly or bus? If they take a bus the 3-21 through 3-23 seems a little brutal.

Also there schedule is broken up. Clearly the coach is able to keep them in a rhythm, and the week layoffs do not hurt.

Do other teams in this region do the same thing due to weather? Or is Augustana the exception?

mr_b

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 22, 2014, 09:19:39 AM
Piedmont beat a very good Millsaps team, you never know from just one game, but they held them to 5 hits so pitching (at least yesterday) was good. I would think they will be a good test
Piedmont beat North Park 6-4 on Saturday, and also topped both Millsaps and Birmingham-Southern (which was 5-0 going into the contest).  Piedmont looked to be a very solid squad. 

Gregory Sager

NPU came back to beat Millsaps on Saturday, 5-4, before losing to Birmingham Southern on Sunday, 4-2.

I try not to get too worked up about a loss on the opening weekend down south. North Park's season opener was game #7 for Piedmont, and the game later that day was #2 for NPU and #10 for Millsaps. Sunday's contest was North Park's third and BSC's fifth.

It looked to me as though T.D. Conway did alright in his college pitching debut on Sunday against a nationally-ranked team. Your thoughts, mr_b?

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 25, 2014, 08:52:30 PM
NPU came back to beat Millsaps on Saturday, 5-4, before losing to Birmingham Southern on Sunday, 4-2.

I try not to get too worked up about a loss on the opening weekend down south. North Park's season opener was game #7 for Piedmont, and the game later that day was #2 for NPU and #10 for Millsaps. Sunday's contest was North Park's third and BSC's fifth.

It looked to me as though T.D. Conway did alright in his college pitching debut on Sunday against a nationally-ranked team. Your thoughts, mr_b?
I think Conway looked very good. He showed a lot of poise against a strong Birmingham team.

Lancers22

What are the chances  for games @ GCS Ballpark in Sauget, IL  be played this weekend? 4 teams - North Park, Wartburg, Webster and Grinnell College?
"Adversity is the diamond dust Heaven polishes its jewels with."

BigPoppa

Quote from: Lancers22 on February 27, 2014, 02:30:03 PM
What are the chances  for games @ GCS Ballpark in Sauget, IL  be played this weekend? 4 teams - North Park, Wartburg, Webster and Grinnell College?

I had to hold in my scream when I read this... as I drove to work in -35 wind chills this morning with  22 ft snow drift just outside my window. Hard to understand that somewhere, someone is playing baseball.

Lancers22

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 27, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
I had to hold in my scream when I read this... as I drove to work in -35 wind chills this morning with  22 ft snow drift just outside my window. Hard to understand that somewhere, someone is playing baseball.

;D Someone might.... ;)
"Adversity is the diamond dust Heaven polishes its jewels with."