New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off Pitch

Projected 11/5 NE rankings for the teams still with a shot at a pool C berth (with records and 11/29 SOS:
                           W-L ,   win %,    SOS 
1. Brandeis       (16-1  ,    0.941,    .638)
2. Wheaton      (16-2-2,   0.850     .598)
3. Amherst        (12-1-3,  0.844      .592)
4. Coast Guard (13-1-3,  0.853       .585)
5. Babson         (14-5  ,    0.737      .612)
6. Tufts             (10-2-4,   0.750      .589)
7. WPI              (13-4  ,    0.765      .525)
8 Middlebury     (9-3-4,    0.688      .544)

Off Pitch

Projected 11/5 NE rankings:

1. Brandeis
2. Wheaton
3. Amherst
4. Coast Guard

5. Babson - must beat MIT, probably would also have to beat or tie Wheaton to avoid dropping below Tufts
6. Tufts
7. Middlebury - would beating Bowdoin be enough?
8. WPI - must beat Coast Guard

Teams in bold should be safe for NCAA tournament selection. 
AQ is only chance for any of the teams below this point

9. Gordon
10. Wesleyan
11. Roger Williams

close behind include Williams, MIT and Bowdoin

Mr.Right

As usual your rankings will be wrong. How does Wesleyan crack the top 11 after going 1-1-0 and Williams drops out going 1-1-0 and Bowdoin does not make it going 1-0-1. Both Wesleyan and Williams will drop and Bowdoin will crack it.

Babson moves on top of Tufts?      With wins over Lasell and Emerson...PLEASE

Your hatred for Nescac is beyond obvious.

Off Pitch

Except that my opinion did not enter into my projected rankings.  I based them on math only.   My spreadsheet's hatred has been exposed.  ;)

Wesleyan is ahead of Williams because they have a better winning % against a better schedule.  Bowdoin's winning % is under .600 against an even weaker schedule.  Babson is mathematcially slightly ahead of Tufts because of a similar winning % against a stronger schedule.

Mr. Right, it is sad that you equate objectivity with hatred.

Mr.Right

Your spreadsheet sucks. Roger Williams might crack it but I doubt it. Love that you left Gordon in there again. I am pretty sure they are not going to be ranked.

Mr.Right

My eye test is better than your spreadsheet any day.

Off Pitch

Any ranking below 8th is not worth getting too worked up about.  The spreadsheet approach does illustrate the eventual limitations of trying to be overly quantitative.  However, the committee does use winning % and SOS, so the spreadsheet does potentially show where they may start before making qualitative adjustments.

It is interesting that creating a spreadsheet and reporting the results is "hate speech" to some in NESCAC-land.

Off Pitch

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 03, 2014, 05:37:07 PM
My eye test is better than your spreadsheet any day.

And it should be noted that your eye test is 0-2 regarding Gordon, whereas the spreadsheet had them in both time.   0-3 is a reasonable possibility.

Mr.Right

Lets remember all the missed teams you h ave had. My predictions have been more correct and I do not plug them into a spreadsheet. My experience and soccer IQ helps me more than your Nescac hate

Mr.Right

Also #8 and below is not important to you but it IS VERY IMPORTANT to teams #1-#7 because of how it can affect their record vs ranked teams. In 2011, Williams was 9-4-3 and had the best SOS in the country but they were left out of a Pool C because they had a Record v Ranked of 1-4-3.

Off Pitch

Mr. Right, the only example available is where you even predicted the ranking was on 10/21 for the 10/22 rankings.  Let's compare them to my prediction made 10/18:

Mr. Right                    Off Pitch                Actual
1.   Brandeis                 1.  Brandeis            1.  Brandeis
2.   Amherst                  2.  Amherst             2. Coast Guard
3.   Tufts                       3.  Wheaton            3. Tufts
4.   Wheaton                4.  Coast Guard       4. Amherst
5.   Wesleyan               5.  Tufts                   5. Wheaton
6.   Coast Guard           6.  Babson               6. Babson
7.   Babson                   7.  Middlebury          7. Wesleyan
8.   Middlebury              8.  WPI                     8. Gordon
9.   Williams                  9.  Wesleyan            9.  Middlebury
10.  Nichols                  10.  Gordon               10. Williams
11.  WPI                       11.  Bowdoin             11. WPI

You overrated Amherst, Wesleyan, Middlebury and Williams - notice a trend? 
I overrated Bowdoin, Middlebury, and Amherst - must be that NESCAC hatred.

My top 8 were still all in the top 8 on 10/29.  You did reasonably will with 7 or your top 8 still present 10/29, but you may have ranked #5 a bit too high.

You are convinced your soccer IQ and experience are demonstrably superior.  Apparently your rankings of the NESCAC schools are not the only things you overrate. 

Mr.Right

I never compared what I ranked on 10-22 to still be there on 10-29. That makes no sense at all. Mr.Right has been more right than an off pitch

Off Pitch

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 03, 2014, 06:58:33 PM
IMr.Right has been more right than an off pitch

;D Just like you declaring that you won the "argument" as to whether the NESCAC was down a little this year, and less than a week later admitting that it is.  I guess it is better to evolve and be right eventually.  I will enjoy helping you down that path with my hateful numbers and facts.

PaulNewman

Do you guys even know what you are arguing about?

GarbageGoals33

These two would be great for a New England Soccer rendition of Grumpy Old Men.