WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Yes, I'm afraid the AQ beckons for the Titans on March 1st.  When this teams loses the TO battle, you know they are in trouble.  I give NCC a lot of credit as they took it to the Titans tonight with their own version of run and jump, shot it pretty well, and stayed tough when the Titans got it back to within 6.  What a point total, but the Titans on the wrong end of the stick tonight.  Tough loss.  Hope the Titans can put it behind them and prepare well for CC at home on Saturday.  Yes, looks like a long long trip to Kenosha for the CCIW tournament. 

NCC will be tough with the inside presence of Godhardt, as they have lots of good trey shooters on the perimeter.  The difference tonight was that they were relentless on D tonight too. 

IWU70

RogK

Maris Hovee had another very sharp game, helping Wheaton get past North Park 67-50. She rang up 6 blocks, 3 steals, 15 rebs, 8 pts, 3 assists. The fleetfooted Katie McDaniels had 20 pts, 4 assists; Ellie Zeller tallied 18 pts.
Hannah Rehfeldt led NP with 18, while Dominikque Williams had 8 rebounds. Nicole Kruckman and Soly Roman combined for 9 close-range baskets.
With Elmhurst's 7th loss and Wheaton's 8th win, the Thunder clinched a CCIW playoff spot. North Park retains 4th place, 1/2 game ahead of Elmhurst, 1 game ahead of North Central and 1 1/2 ahead of Millikin.

RogK

Augustana 74, Millikin 66 :
A - Jessica Baids 19 pts, 8 rebs; Amy Hicks 10 and 11, Molly Etheridge 14 and 10.
M - 19/62 2FG, 5/20 3FG; Susan Durkin was the only one who shot FGs well, scoring 6 pts from 5 FG att.
Carthage rolls on, 65 - 48 over Elmhurst :
C - Stephanie K returns from injury, 19 pts, 8 r, 4 a; Kristi Schmidt 14 pts, Alexis Hahn 13 and 13.
E - Fiona McMahon 8, 9 rebs, 2 blocks.

Hoosier Titan

You'll never walk alone.

Gregory Sager

Disappointing loss for NPU. After the Vikes beat Wheaton in Chicago I thought that this might be the year that they got over the hump and ended their King Arena jinx. No such luck. But it was a nice consolation to see freshman Hannah Rehfeldt play so well, as she scored her 18 points by going 6-10 from long range. She's one more weapon with which CCIW foes are going to have to contend for the next few seasons.

At least Elmhurst lost, although I didn't expect the 'jays to give Carthage much of a fight. NPU retains that half-game lead over the 'jays, but the remaining sked favors Elmhurst. NPU really needs this win on Saturday at the Griz, another place where they have historically faltered on an annual basis.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Records and remaining opponents :
C 11-0  IW  NP  M
IW 9-2  C  W  NP
W 8-4  NC IW (also IIT)
NP 4-6  M  C  A  IW
E 4-7  A  M  NC
NC 4-8  W  E
M 3-8  NP  E  C
A 2-10  E  NP

iwu70

Yup, Mia Smith rarely minces words when she's pissed about her team's expected performance.  I can surely see what she had in mind.  Titans really in trouble with TOs against NCC's pressure.  Also tough after McMahon fouled out.  I don't think anyone, either side, was very happy with the officiating, especially Coach Smith.  Jackson and Baltes had really great games, but the Titans got worn down, ran out of gas a bit mid-way through the second half, then came roaring back from 20 down to get within six, but couldn't get over the hump at the end.  Gotta give NCC and their waves of players a lot of credit.  They earned a big win on the Titans' home floor.  The "system" is starting to pay off for them and their many bombers who can hit treys from all over, from the rafters and the lobby, it would seem.  Godhardt is a big plus for them now in the paint, for rebounding.  They will be tough in the future if they continue to perfect this style of play and have the players to make it work.  I think they have over 300+ treys now for the season and must be setting some kind of D3 record.  The point total of 121-113 is truly amazing.  I wonder if any of the players involved can walk to class today. 

IWU70

RogK

iwu70, my "take" on Coach Smith's post-loss comments is that they are intended solely to motivate her players. Complimenting the opponent that just beat them does not fit in with that purpose. I appreciate that you complimented the other team.
North Central should do well when they make around 40 pct of their threes. But they can't expect to shoot with such accuracy every time. I still think they need a couple of 6' 1" kids to use at the back end of their press to discourage too many layups. Their 70 point loss to Hope indicates that there is a lot of room for improvement. Godhardt is a very helpful addition, for sure, not only for what she does in the game, but also for encouraging teammates to keep working hard.

Roundball999

Quote from: RogK on February 14, 2014, 11:53:41 AM
I still think they need a couple of 6' 1" kids to use at the back end of their press to discourage too many layups.

RogK, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I was at the Hope game and their three leading scorers that day were their bigs.  They are all agile and at least 6'; once the NCC pressure was beaten, the Hope bigs had a lot of room inside the 3 pt arc to drive for relatively uncontested layups.  As you say, having that last line of defense would be very helpful to any system-type team I would think.

RogK

Of course, my thoughts about what NC could use next year are beside the point of this season. The Cardinals are still in the hunt for the 4th playoff spot. And as long as there are games left on any team's schedule, let's hope that they are well-played and enjoyed by the players. (such heart-warming sediments!)

iwu70

NCC will be very good if they keep up this level of play, trey shooting and defensive frenzy.  They throw waves at you.  Godhardt impressed me in her previous incarnation, before joining NCC.  Yes, Mia Smith wants to motivate her squad.  IWU actually played pretty well in that game, esp. Jackson and Baltes.  Tough to take scoring 116 and losing.  That's another record that could stand for a time = most points scored whilst losing.  Several key Titans got into foul trouble midway through the second half, with McMahon fouling out pretty early, so Mia had to go longer, deeper in her rotation than usual to protect those in foul trouble.   Pretty tough for the Titans to catch CC now, being 2 games back with only 3-4 to go.  Doubt the Titans get in via Pool C.  Gotta win the AQ to play after March 1st.  Titans 15-7, 9-2.

IWU70

iwu70

Warm congrats and thanks to the IWU Seniors on Senior night -- Taylor Reaber, Katy Seibring, Shelby Jackson, Lexi Baltes and Colleen McMahon.  One of the best, strongest groups of seniors ever in the IWU program.  Thanks for all the dedication, all the hard work and all the good memories these past few years.   Keep it rolling.  Let's pin one on Carthage!

Have a great Senior night -- hope all your friends, fans, supporters and family members are able to join and support you on Senior night.

IWU70

iwu70

Titans down 32-26 halftime.  Wenzel is hurting the Titans, with 14 first half point.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

NPU and Millikin are all locked up at the half, 28-28, in Decatur (aka Buffertown for those of us who are trying to watch the game online). Rachel Torres and Dominikque Williams have six apiece for the Vikings, while Jasmine Johnson has nine for the Big Blue.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Carthage was threatening to blow the game open - up 47-35 - when Titans went on a 17-2 run!

W/ about 6 to go, Titans up by 1.