MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdex

jdex

Brockport gallops to 58-40 halftime lead on 22x35fg, 5x9 3s. Widens gap till IT within 109-106 on C. Reaves & E. Belone 3s. FTs clinch. Eagles 10th in a row. Sherod Harris 24 pts, C. Parrish 21, Shawn Harris 16, M. Wilkes 11, B. Williams 10. IT's Belone 34 pts (6 3s), Reaves 29 in 40'; C. LaBoard 19, A. Gilkes 15

magicman

Went to the Plattsburgh/Oswego game and certainly got my money's worth. Cards won 78-77 on 3 pt play by Travis Gorham with about a minute to go. Lakers missed on their next possession and fouled with 35 secs to go. Cards missed both foul shots and Lakers came down, went inside to Mat Burridge who was fouled with 6 secs to go. He missed both attempts and the Cards squeaked out the win to give them a 2 game lead on 2nd place. Gorham, Anthony Williams and Khylan Hunt all came up big for the Cardinals. Burridge, Kyle Reuter and Erik Roberson led the Lakers.

magicman

I know there's a big weekend left in the league but after tonight's games this looks like the first round of playoff action.

#8 Cortland @ #1 Brockport

#7 Buffalo @ #2 Plattsburgh

#6 Sunyit @ #3 Oswego

#5 Geneseo @ #4 Oneonta

The 3 4 5 & 6 spots are all subject to change but I think this is the way they'll end up.

jdex

Pburgh's A. Williams 24 pts; T. Gorham 24 pts, 14 rebs, 7 assts; K. Hunt 19  pts, 8 rebs, 2 blks; D. Lynch 10 rebs, 2 blks. Oswego's E. Roberson 20  pts, K. Reuter 15, M. Burridge 13, D. White 12, T. Franze 6 assts
Cards with 39-35 lead. Lakers tie quickly on White pts prior to Hunt hoop leading to Pburgh edge till OSt ties at 72

pg04

Quote from: RadioGuy on February 13, 2007, 10:15:24 PM
Well, BPort is now 1st in East...clinched 1st in SUNYACs...and this should give them the bid to the NCAA's.  We'll see how long until they get the recognition they deserve, right?  I don't mean to deny or down anybody here, but this is coming from somebody who follows all Brockport athletics...a sports program that is always underestimated and seems to continuously get looked over.

Always underestimated?....I would assume you are too young to remember when this site has had both Brockport basketball and Football in the top 10..

It's just the way it is....it really shouldn't matter to you or anyone at Brockport where their ranking is.  All that matters at this point is that they win the SUNYAC and get in the tournament. 

bamm

Quote from: pg04 on February 15, 2007, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: RadioGuy on February 13, 2007, 10:15:24 PM
Well, BPort is now 1st in East...clinched 1st in SUNYACs...and this should give them the bid to the NCAA's.  We'll see how long until they get the recognition they deserve, right?  I don't mean to deny or down anybody here, but this is coming from somebody who follows all Brockport athletics...a sports program that is always underestimated and seems to continuously get looked over.

Always underestimated?....I would assume you are too young to remember when this site has had both Brockport basketball and Football in the top 10..

It's just the way it is....it really shouldn't matter to you or anyone at Brockport where their ranking is.  All that matters at this point is that they win the SUNYAC and get in the tournament. 

Yeah, but why wasn't the victory over SUNYIT the lead story on SportsCenter?  See... no respect.

slickyquick

Brockport might have been in the top 10 in both the football and basketball but it was warranted. It wasn't like Brockport was playing cupcakes. They won the Chase and played a handful of teams. They did lose to U of R in the Elite 8 game. In the NCAA tourney it is all about matchups. U of R - Brockport is always a battle of contrasting styles. Brockport wants to get up and down while the Yellowjackets want to grind it out. I believe at the end of that season that Golden Eagles were ranked around 14 by d3hoops. That team might have been one of the most talented and deepest team the East Region has seen in a long time.

People need to remember that Brockport is 4-1 against NESCAC schools in the NCAA tourney. They have beaten both Trinity and Amherst twice and then lost to the Williams team that lost at the buzzer vs. Wisc. Stevens Point. I don't think that I'm going out on a limb here but there aren't too many teams that are 4-1 versus the NESCAC in postseason play.

One thing that I wouldn't mind seeing is a couple of teams from the East Region, preferably U of R, Brockport, and Fisher take on a group of schools from the Midwest, like UW-Stevens Point, Wooster, and Hope, on a neutral floor with neutral refs. It would an interesting thing to do, maybe d3hoops can help set it up because the state schools usually have a tough time their budgets. I'm not saying that East region would dominate and win all the games but it would definitely test all teams involved with some good games and maybe a different perspective of the East and/or Midwest region.

jdex

Heading into the last roundup with a pair of big Friday dates since Corts and Pdam share last playoff berth: Corts in Bport in what could be first round tourney appointment, and Pdam at the Paltz. In other jockeying pairings: Pburghers at IT, Gens at Freds

On Saturday Corts could already know fate or what they have to do in night home go with Freds, since Pdam has afternoon session at Oneonta. And Gens are at Bport, Buffs at Oswego, Pburgh at NP

Current stackup: Bport 12-2(19-4), Pburgh 10-4(16-7), One 9-6(11-13), Osw 9-6(13-11), Gens 8-6(14-9), IT 8-7(14-10), BS 7-8(12-11), CSt 5-9(9-14), Pdam 5-9(8-15), NP 3-11(10-13), Freds 3-11(6-16)

jdex

Brockport 83, Cortland 63. Port by 45-31 at intermission and always in control. Sherod Harris 20 pts(4x9fg, 4x6 3s), 15 by half. Plays team-high 27'. C. Parrish 12 pts(3x4fg) in 19'. Outboard Corts 33-25 and do a number off offense glass. Port 26x55fg,; 21x26ft, 10x24 3s, 19 assts. Corts 23x46fg, 9x18ft, 8x17 3s, 19 trnrvs. D. Maggiacomo 15 pts(5x11fg, 4x7 3s) in 26'; frosh P. Oliver 10 pts(3x3fg) in 27'

jdex

New Paltz 75, Potsdam 66. Both Pdam and Corts lose to remain tied for 8th spot. NP with edge most of the way, 37-32 at the break. Bears hold only lead of second half with 9:05 left. Shortlived, but game knotted at 4:07. NP back to fore and T. Cannon provides points for late lift. NP 26x59fg, 6x15 3s, 17x31ft. A. Foluke-Henderson 24 pts(10x15fg), 7 rebs; J. Hauser 21 pts(7x14fg, 2x3 3s), 8 rebs, 4 assts, 4 stls; M. Hauser 11 pts; T. Cannon 10 pts, 4 stls. Pdam 25x50fg. T. Reinhardt 19 pts(9x10fg) in 28'; D. Brown 14 pts(5x11fg); J. Hall 12 pts(5x9fg), 9 rebs, 3 stls, 10 trnvrs (Pdam 23); B. Graney 10 pts, 9 rebs

SUNYIT 89, Plattsburgh 84. Cards close to 1 on A. Williams trey in closing moments. C. LaBoard completes big night (29 pts, 13 reb) with 2ft at 0:17 for IT. Williams '3' misfires and E. Belone finishes 18 pt. night with 2ft in win. C. Reaves 13 pts, A.Gilkes 15 pts, 12 rebs. Williams 21 pts. for Burgh

Geneseo 66, Fredonia 44. Over early. Gens 29-13 at half as Freds 5x21fg. Knights 23x43fg overall, 9x14 3s, 11x14ft. S. McDonnell 15 pts(4x8fg, 3x6 3s), 3 assts, 4 rebs in 28'; S. Morton 13 pts(4x6fg, 4x5 3s), 5 rebs, 5 stls; J. Howe 10 pts(5x7fg) in 18'. Devils 16x54fg. T. Alassari 12 pts(5x15fg), 5 rebs; K. Reichlmayr 11 pts(4x9fg), 8 rebs

John McGraw

So is Brockport's radio guy going to come on here and talk smack again, and complain about Brockport not getting any respect? That was pretty hilarious.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bob Maxwell

With the screen name pg04, I am guessing he is talking about 2004 when Brockport was the only D-III to get their Football, BAsketball and Baseball teams into the NCAA tournament.

It was a nice accomplishment....  I am sure some other teams have done that in other years, but it is still a very nice accomplishment.

And as long as Brockport doesn't lose in the first (or second) round of the SUNYAC tournament... being ranked #1 in the east most likely gets them into the tournament already.  BUT it is better to win the tournament and not have to worry about who may beat someone else and having to wait for a bid.

pg04

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 17, 2007, 01:42:26 AM
Which year are we talking?

If this was for me, I wasn't actually speaking of it happening in the same year, but relatively close to one another...and I think my memory deceived me about it being top 10 for both, however between the years I was there both teams had made it to the elite 8 of the tournament of their respectivesports....and I am relatively sure that at least the football team made it into top 10 at sometime, though now that I think of it, the basketball team probably wasn't.  2003-2004 wasn't specifically the year I referred to, but that's a good year to bring up. 

Regardless, my comment was made to defend the pollstars, as well as saying that it shouldn't matter at all to anyone in Brockport...and just to keep the roll going.