MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

I'm too lazy to look up the ODAC tiebreaker for seeding, but I know Roanoke stomped W&L twice, the only team to do so, whereas W&L stomped VA Wes and beat E&H (if they win their last game).  I believe W&L only faced those teams once. Roanoke, besides 2-0 against the Gennies,  was 1-1 against both VWU and E&H. Seems like it should go 2-5 Maroons, Generals, Wasps (they beat VWU in only match up and are ahead vs EMU right now), Marlins. But I'm not sure if this is how the tie breakers go. 

y_jack_lok

Generals looked good against RMC today. Transition offense, pace of play, tough defense and a good game from Clayton Murtha helped them flip the score from the game in Ashland -- an 84-76 win today vs an 84-75 loss on 1/13. That pretty much seals the fate of the ODAC as a one bid team to the NCAA tournament. If RMC had won today, then lost in the finals of the ODAC tournament, the Jackets might have still received an at-large bid.

Seatfiller

RC won at HSC 76-57. The game was close the entire first time with HSC up by 3 at half time. After the half RC and HSC exchanged the lead up until the 15 minute mark where RC took the lead for good.

In other ODAC news:

E and H win at EMU 74-56
RMC loses at W and L 84-76
SU loses big at Guilford 57-89
Lynchburg beats BC at home 80-66
VWU smacks Randolph 76-53

In all I was horribly wrong on my picks earlier this week. The ODAC tourney is definitively up for grabs as there hasn't been one dominant team the past 2 weeks.

Seatfiller

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 17, 2018, 06:34:09 PM
Generals looked good against RMC today. Transition offense, pace of play, tough defense and a good game from Clayton Murtha helped them flip the score from the game in Ashland -- an 84-76 win today vs an 84-75 loss on 1/13. That pretty much seals the fate of the ODAC as a one bid team to the NCAA tournament. If RMC had won today, then lost in the finals of the ODAC tournament, the Jackets might have still received an at-large bid.

I watched the second half. I have never seen RMC's defense that bad. W and L was doing literally whatever they wanted. I wonder if they weren't focused and just had their mind on the tourney already.

hoopstermom

I figure the same order of finish as you jk based on overall records among the tied opponents and head-to-head if that record is the same:

Roanoke is 3-2 against the other three tied opponents
EH and W&L are both 2-2 against the other three tied opponents,
   and W&L has the tiebreaker over EH with the head to head win
VWU is 1-4 vs other three opponents

I have no clue what the actual rule is though.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Seatfiller on February 17, 2018, 06:36:52 PM

I watched the second half. I have never seen RMC's defense that bad. W and L was doing literally whatever they wanted. I wonder if they weren't focused and just had their mind on the tourney already.

W&L's offense utilizes lots of movement off the ball -- more than I've noticed from most teams in the ODAC. Jacket players were getting lost on defense. What W&L does is a lot like what I see from Wash U out here in Saint Louis. W&L's coach was at Emory (a UAA school like Wash U) so maybe Emory utilized a similar offense that has been imported to Lexington.

hasanova

The Quakers dominated start to finish today versus Shenandoah, winning 89-57.  At one time, the lead was up to 38.  Four players in double figures led by Carson Long's 16 ... the Junior went over 1000 points today ... the 33rd Quaker to do so.

In one of those scheduling/seeding flukes, the SU Hornets have to travel back to Greensboro on Tuesday for a #6/#11 first round game.

Seatfiller

So from what I understand RC has sneaked into the 2nd seed in the conference tournament. With the home court advantage I'm hoping RC can make it to the championship game....but with no consistency (rather good or bad) between any of the ODAC teams this year I don't think it's possible. The first round games on Tuesday are:

SU at GC...played today Guilford killed SU. What happend to SU? They started out the season with promise, but have been blown out their last 3 games.

Randolph at VWU...they played today, VWU killed Randolph.

EMU at Bridgewater

HSC at Lynchburg

hasanova

Congratulations to the Maroons ... an 18-7 (11-5) finish after starting 9-7 (2-5) is stellar.  Roanoke has won 9 straight since losing to Guilford on Jan. 18. 

Does anyone remember such a logjam at the top of the ODAC standings?  With 6 teams between 10-6 and 12-4, I hesitate to handicap the odds of who will win.  Heck, I also think 8-8 LC and BC have a shot.  Looking forward to the tournament!

rmc1982

Quote from: Seatfiller on February 17, 2018, 06:36:52 PM

Ive been saying it for the last month! Jackets are uninspired and lazy on defense and rely on the 3 too much and that starts at the top! Josh Merkel may  have won back to back ODAC regular season titles but his teams falter at crucial times and look like they have no life and no grit when they seem to need it the most! Winning Saturday- and that game was VERY winnable- and running the table and winning the tournament next weekend would have gotten them a crucial home game in Crenshaw in the first round at the very least....now they HAVE to win the tournament to just get in and a home game is a long shot at best! Poorly prepared and uninspired defensive teams fold early under pressure.... I'll be surprised if we even make the finals of the ODAC, let alone win it! At this point my pick would be VWC, Roanoke, or E & H....
Sorry to be so blunt about my own team but these guys don't look like any R-MC team I remember- even when we weren't that good we always played hard tough defense....these guys just don't... ???
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

rmc1982

Also- I wouldn't be surprised if there was a coaching change at HSC either! Speaking to a friend of mine at church yesterday who is a big HSC basketball ex player and supporter leads me to believe that Dee Vick may be shown the door and the Coach from E&H switches to Farmville! David Wilson is an ex HSC player and they like to promote from their own ranks much like the Jackets did before Josh Merkel( even though Merkel has ties to RMC he was not a player there)The HSC alumni are NOT happy with the last few years teams performance from what I can gather from my HSC friends and a change may come sooner rather than later.... Just my prediction...Don't know if Wilson is even interested in leaving E&H but that would be who I think the Tigers would focus on....
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

y_jack_lok

^^^ Well, to be technical about it, only one of the four coaches to precede Merkel actually played basketball at RMC -- Nathan Davis. Rhoades wet to Lebanon Valley, Nunnally was a student at RMC (here's his bio from the RMC Athletics Hall of Fame http://www.rmcathletics.com/Hall_of_Fame/Hall_of_Fame_Bios/Hal_Nunnally. Paul Webb went to William and Mary.

baselinejam

Are there any other W&L fans hanging around the D3 forum. We have great expectations for the ODAC Tournament. The Coach McHugh has done very well so far with a nice group of players. The key is what type of recruits will he he get to really set the table for the future. NESCAC prospects should consider a southern alternative for their hoops and academics.
If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot. Dean Smith

Seatfiller

Quote from: rmc1982 on February 19, 2018, 09:37:54 AM
Also- I wouldn't be surprised if there was a coaching change at HSC either! Speaking to a friend of mine at church yesterday who is a big HSC basketball ex player and supporter leads me to believe that Dee Vick may be shown the door and the Coach from E&H switches to Farmville! David Wilson is an ex HSC player and they like to promote from their own ranks much like the Jackets did before Josh Merkel( even though Merkel has ties to RMC he was not a player there)The HSC alumni are NOT happy with the last few years teams performance from what I can gather from my HSC friends and a change may come sooner rather than later.... Just my prediction...Don't know if Wilson is even interested in leaving E&H but that would be who I think the Tigers would focus on....

I was actually watching the HSC at Lynchburg game a month ago and even the commentators brought this up. I would think Wilson would at least consider the HSC job if it opens.

rmc1982

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 19, 2018, 12:01:07 PM
^^^ Well, to be technical about it, only one of the four coaches to precede Merkel actually played basketball at RMC -- Nathan Davis. Rhoades wet to Lebanon Valley, Nunnally was a student at RMC (here's his bio from the RMC Athletics Hall of Fame http://www.rmcathletics.com/Hall_of_Fame/Hall_of_Fame_Bios/Hal_Nunnally. Paul Webb went to William and Mary.
You know what I meant tho! Mike Rhoades was hand picked by Hal to succeed him.... Paul Webb was an institution and set the standard for years and Hal was a member of "the family ".... I'm not knocking Josh because he wasn't a product of the program- my  analysis is because his teams don't seem to fit the "mold" we have had for a while! Even when we weren't as good as other programs they played hard- especially on defense- and knew the situation they would set themselves up for if they win big games they SHOULD WIN- especially IN CONFERENCE games! I'm not taking anything away from the Gennies either- they beat our a$$es fair and square in their house Saturday but we should have gotten a better effort- especially on defense from our guys in a game that would set them up for a good entry into the tournament instead of a let down when they had the regular season wrapped up! That one goes straight to the top! They weren't ready to play and it showed! I've had Nathan's players tell me that they were soft and that their practices were not nearly what they were with Nathan or Mike and you play like you practice! A lot of people in here knock Macedo and VWC but one thing I'll say for sure- his kids are well coached and they play hard and YOU BETTER look out for them at the end of the season- THATS when they are always at their best! Guilford too!  My gripe is that our guys look ASLEEP at times and especially at times when they should be at their best they look awful.....!I don't know where else to put that one but at the top.... missing shots and having an off offensive game where you get beat is one thing..... laying off on defense and getting beat because you're not prepared and don't give your best effort is another.... and that's what I have a hard time watching and not saying anything about.... we deserve better...