MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

I'm looking forward to being in Salem on Friday to watch the Lynchburg/Roanoke game at 6 pm before the Generals and Quakers tip off around 8 pm.  Hope to see other posters and friends at the games.

Seatfiller

Quote from: hasanova on February 20, 2018, 10:37:01 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 20, 2018, 09:00:32 PM
Randolph upsets VWU 57-54. GC over SU, EMU over BC, LC over HSC.

So RMC will play EMU and will need to do better against that zone than they did in Ashland.

E&H plays Randolph. Roanoke plays LC. W&L plays GC.
As others have said, the RaC win AT VW is the shocker of the night ... especially given they lost to the Marlins at home by 23 just 3 days ago.  You have to love tournament hoops!

Congratulations to the other winners: EMU, LC and GC.  Speaking of the Quakers, they also had to play the same team 3 days apart, but both times in Greensboro.  To their credit, the SU Hornets closed the gap from 32 to 11, but still dropped both.

Returning to the Randolph Wildcats, I guess former RaC player and GC Assistant Pete Hamilton is also a big proponent of playing your best basketball this time of year.

Just looked up the write up about the game and found this gem:

"It is the first time in ODAC Tournament history a #12 seed has defeated a #5 seed. It was also just the third Randolph victory over Virginia Wesleyan in program history and the first ever win on the Marlins' home court."

That's pretty impressive for a very young coach. I hope Randolph gives E and H a battle.

DeWayneCarter

Pete Hamilton has done a great job. Great guy as well. Got to give him and Randolph credit for beating my Marlins. Didn't see the game back was very shocked. Seemed like they may have turned a corner only to have their season end this early. Welp. More time to get back in the gym as individuals and get VWU back to where we used to be. Still have faith in Macedo.

hasanova

Quote from: DeWayneCarter on February 21, 2018, 10:37:11 AM
Pete Hamilton has done a great job. Great guy as well. Got to give him and Randolph credit for beating my Marlins. Didn't see the game back was very shocked. Seemed like they may have turned a corner only to have their season end this early. Welp. More time to get back in the gym as individuals and get VWU back to where we used to be. Still have faith in Macedo.
I don't think anyone outside of perhaps the Wildcats saw this coming.  It would seem almost all pundits were giving the Marlins an almost automatic pass to the quarterfinals.  VW is a fine program ... we all know they will bounce back with a vengeance!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tigerFanAlso2

RMC1982

Back to your post regarding a coaching change at HSC, I would be very surprised if that were to happen.
I know some alums are not happy and I understand why, but I don't see it happening.
I have no opinion/no skin in the game because I've ignored the b'ball team for the past 3 years; I do know they are not very good(which is why I don't go to games anymore), time will tell if they get better. Current state of the program does not warrant wasting a Saturday afternoon to attend.

rmc1982

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 22, 2018, 02:32:31 PM
RMC1982

Back to your post regarding a coaching change at HSC, I would be very surprised if that were to happen.
I know some alums are not happy and I understand why, but I don't see it happening.
I have no opinion/no skin in the game because I've ignored the b'ball team for the past 3 years; I do know they are not very good(which is why I don't go to games anymore), time will tell if they get better. Current state of the program does not warrant wasting a Saturday afternoon to attend.
My source said as much also... that there was a new AD... and a lot of alumni still supported the status quo... but also that there was dissention, especially among SOME of the basketball alumni to make a change to right the ship.... like I said it was as merely an observation ...been trying to just be a lurker lately.... I've said probably too much in the last week....🤪😉😉😱... hope our Jackets wake up and play well the next few days!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

rmc1982

Jackets up 5 at half 30-25.....looking a little better...played GREAT  defense early and up 12 and let the EMU's get back in it before the half.... ???
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

jknezek

Now the ODAC is a one bid conference...

rmc1982

Jackets blow a 2nd half lead and lose 56-54....can't hold a lead....defensive problems....maybe next year...Congrats to the EMU's......What was promising before last Saturday slips right down the drain....Nobody to blame but ourselves.... Gonna be a good next few days to see who advances....Hasa I'm pulling for your guys!

jknezek

Quote from: rmc1982 on February 23, 2018, 02:42:06 PM
Jackets blow a 2nd half lead and lose 56-54....can't hold a lead....defensive problems....maybe next year...Congrats to the EMU's......What was promising before last Saturday slips right down the drain....Nobody to blame but ourselves.... Gonna be a good next few days to see who advances....Hasa I'm pulling for your guys!

When you only allow 56 points I'm struggling to see how you are pointing at defensive problems, but I'm not real knowledgeable about basketball. Seems like an offense that only scores 54 is more to blame...

rmc1982

Quote from: jknezek on February 23, 2018, 02:38:17 PM
Now the ODAC is a one bid conference...
It already WAS a one bid conference....and just because you only "Allowed " 56 points doesen't mean you played good defense.... They blew double digit leads leads both in the first and second halves...allowed too may wide open uncontested jumpers, and get out- rebounded 36-27, especially in crucial situations.... thats not good defense in my book.....but the EMU's beat us TWICE, once on our court! Kudos to them! Good luck to them and all the rest who are left!

baselinejam

Congrats to the Generals for placing 2 on the first team and 1 on the third team all ODAC. A feat that I don't recall happening in the at least the past 15 years.
If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot. Dean Smith

Seatfiller

There goes my prediction...Kirby Dean lives to coach another day. I'm still worried about RC today against LC. LC is a streaky team who shoots a lot of 3s. If LC makes 40% of their treys tonight I don't see RC winning.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: jknezek on February 23, 2018, 02:45:53 PM

When you only allow 56 points I'm struggling to see how you are pointing at defensive problems, but I'm not real knowledgeable about basketball. Seems like an offense that only scores 54 is more to blame...

I only watched the second half but have to agree with jk -- defense wasn't the main problem from what I saw. It's always possible to cite instances where the other team's offense beats your defense. So, the question is, why couldn't the Jacket offense do the same to EMU? The Royals were playing that 2-3 zone on all but a couple of Jacket possession that I saw. When RMC built its 15 point lead with 13 minutes left they exhibited better ball movement and got some open 3s that went in or Korey Turner got into the lane and when the defense stayed back to protect from a pass down low he hit a couple of 10 foot jumpers. The main problem in my view is that ball movement isn't quick enough and decisive enough to get the defense off balance. Also, off the ball movement along the baseline was either too slow or non-existent. The Jackets scored 16 points in the first 7 minutes of the 2nd half and 8 points in the final 13. That's a problem with the offense. Congrats to EMU.