FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: FearTheEar on April 24, 2013, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: NCF on April 24, 2013, 09:51:18 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 23, 2013, 06:22:16 PM
I wonder about that idea that a team doesn't know if a guy is coming until he shows up. I seem to remember filling out a lot of paperwork (grant forms, health, living arrangements) before I went to school and in today's process happy world it can only be worse. It just doesn't seem realistic that a guy can have that appearance of non-commitment.  It takes a lot of effort to be that uncommitted.
But it happens all the time. Schools make you pay at least a $100 (non-refundable) room deposit by May 1st. Still doesn't keep a kid from not showing up or leaving after a few days of camp, or shortly after camp ends. There are always guys who quit before the season ends as well.

So are you saying its not worth it to post the names of the kids that are committed right now because it might change down the road. So if no one knows how many you bring in it saves face a little, i.e. bring in 50 kids and only 15 make it as sophomores??.... Im confused on whether announcing the names is a positive or negative thing for d3 teams to do?
At North Central, they don't hold a press conference or anything like that, they keep it relatively low key. There is a section on the football website that lists recruits and it is taken down on the first day of camp.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

AO

I wonder about that idea that a team doesn't know if a guy is coming until he shows up. I seem to remember filling out a lot of paperwork (grant forms, health, living arrangements) before I went to school and in today's process happy world it can only be worse. It just doesn't seem realistic that a guy can have that appearance of non-commitment.  It takes a lot of effort to be that uncommitted.
But it happens all the time. Schools make you pay at least a $100 (non-refundable) room deposit by May 1st. Still doesn't keep a kid from not showing up or leaving after a few days of camp, or shortly after camp ends. There are always guys who quit before the season ends as well.

So are you saying its not worth it to post the names of the kids that are committed right now because it might change down the road. So if no one knows how many you bring in it saves face a little, i.e. bring in 50 kids and only 15 make it as sophomores??.... Im confused on whether announcing the names is a positive or negative thing for d3 teams to do?
For most of D3 it's not much of a positive, as it's just a list of names most fans hadn't heard of with no insight into their performance in fall practice.

FearTheEar

Quote from: AO on April 24, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

For most of D3 it's not much of a positive, as it's just a list of names most fans hadn't heard of with no insight into their performance in fall practice.

Interesting, I thought that kids were pumped to get their names in the paper and just be recognized for taking the next step whether that is d3 or whatever level. I will look forward to the day the Cobbs release theirs!

sfury

If I remember correctly, and it's been 20 years so I might not be, I was going to go to St. John's as late as July before my freshman year (not to play football or anything). I'd gotten my roommate assignment, my RA, etc. But after a summer-long discussion I finally bought into my parents' idea that four years of SJU was not doable financially and went to WCC. So I can see D3 schools not knowing for sure about potential recruits.

AO

Macalester joins the MWC.

They were good enough to be competitive in the MIAC last year, but a move back to the MIAC would either take away a non-conference game or you wouldn't have a full round-robin.

here's live video of some of the students protesting the conference move: MAC students want back in the MIAC  Clearly crushed they can't renew their rivalry with the Johnnies.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AO on April 24, 2013, 03:28:15 PM
They were good enough to be competitive in the MIAC last year, but a move back to the MIAC would either take away a non-conference game or you wouldn't have a full round-robin.

Our front-page story has more, including official MIAC reaction and a word from the comissioner as to how they might fix that scheduling issue.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2013/04/macalester-to-join-midwest-conference
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

DuffMan

What a bunch of Sallies.  Seriously?  If they want to play MWC football, the MIAC should boot them out in all sports.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

AO

Good picture here of the protest against the move to the MWC.

Cut that MWC contract!

2115 Summit

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 24, 2013, 03:36:39 PM

Our front-page story has more, including official MIAC reaction and a word from the comissioner as to how they might fix that scheduling issue.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2013/04/macalester-to-join-midwest-conference

Could the MIAC just force the scots to choose either the MIAC or MWC in all sports? If the Scots were to leave or get booted - doesn't it makes sense to add a team like St. Scholastica which is a strong academic school and would be competitive athletically!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: 2115 Summit on April 24, 2013, 04:28:56 PM

Could the MIAC just force the scots to choose either the MIAC or MWC in all sports? If the Scots were to leave or get booted - doesn't it makes sense to add a team like St. Scholastica which is a strong academic school and would be competitive athletically!

I am not an expert in the MIAC bylaws but I would think the conference could if it had the votes and felt it was in the MIAC's best interest.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

faunch

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 24, 2013, 04:42:02 PM

I am not an expert in the MIAC bylaws but I would think the conference could if it had the votes and felt it was in the MIAC's best interest.

If the Classic Suburban can boot STA the MIAC should be able to boot MAC!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: DuffMan on April 24, 2013, 03:53:46 PM
What a bunch of Sallies.  Seriously?  If they want to play MWC football, the MIAC should boot them out in all sports.

totally agree. Its one thing not to field a team in a MIAC sport (SMU football, Augs swimming, etc) but to join another league in a MIAC sanctioned sport? Founding member or not, Mac should be booted....or have the class to leave ala UMD
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: faunch on April 24, 2013, 08:55:59 PM

AO- for years, the MIAC played 9 conference games and 1 non-conference. Then Mac pulled out of football, forcing the others to find a non-conference game to replace them. It hasnt always been easy to do.

Faunch- you & I rarely agree, but this is on topic it sounds like we are 100% in sync. Call SI and report a Sign of the Apocolypse  :)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

AO

Quote from: miacmaniac on April 25, 2013, 12:58:27 AM
Quote from: faunch on April 24, 2013, 08:55:59 PM

AO- for years, the MIAC played 9 conference games and 1 non-conference. Then Mac pulled out of football, forcing the others to find a non-conference game to replace them. It hasnt always been easy to do.

Faunch- you & I rarely agree, but this is on topic it sounds like we are 100% in sync. Call SI and report a Sign of the Apocolypse  :)
You're making it a lot harder to earn pool C bids if you add MAC or Scholastica and play 9 conference games.    If you really wanted to fix the MIAC football scheduling and earn more pool C bids you'd kick out Hamline and play 3 non-conference games as the IIAC, WIAC and CCIW do.

The St. Thomas Academy situation is too funny.  The South Suburban schools that ran away from Eden Prairie/Wayzata because they feared the long travel are out of excuses and the league will probably just place the Cadets back in the classic suburban.  While college conferences look to get stronger, these Minnesota high school conferences do everything in their power to become weaker.