BB: UAA: University Athletic Association

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the Baseball Message Board for the University Athletic Association (UAA).

The UAA members and their respective regions:

Brandeis -- New England Region
Chicago --  Central  (Does not compete for UAA title)
CWRU --     Mid-East Region
Emory --     South Region
Rochester -- New York Region
Wash U --  Central Region

(Tip of the hat to cwru70 for the correction.) :)

UAA Conference Web Page

ADL70

UChi does not compete for the UAA title, but Rochester does.  UAA competes in a round robin in Fla over spring break.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

The UAA Championship gets underway tomorow in Sanford, FL.  WUStL is favored to repeat.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

Emory is at the top as the last day gets underway.  Looks like a battle for the bottom as UR meets CWRU @ 1:30.  There is a certain unfairness in that WUStL and Emory play double figure number of games before the UAA gets underway, while the others have only a few tune up games before.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Ralph Turner

cwru, I agree.  The post-season tourney ought to be at the end of the season, when the games would more accurately reflect the champion at an equal number of games played.

ADL70

The academic calendars drive the schedule.  And those two teams are historically a notch above the rest anyway.  Interesting that basketball has early season tournaments, while baseball plays games in warm weather, but not in a tournament setting. 
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

SamuelAdams

Who is the team to beat in the UAA this year?

I know Wash U is ranked and has a lot of their power and arms returning, including ace Brent Buffa. Wondering what people thought about it.

ADL70

Wash U and Emory are the cream.  The UAA is contested as a tournament in Fla in March.  Wash U and Emory will have played a number of games already and the rest of the teams only a few.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

BigPoppa

Does the winner of the March tourney get an NCAA bid?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

frank_ezelle

Quote from: SamuelAdams on January 02, 2007, 08:40:55 PM

I know Wash U is ranked and has a lot of their power and arms returning, including ace Brent Buffa. Wondering what people thought about it.

Buffa transferred to Millsaps for his senior year.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

BigPoppa

Quote from: frank_ezelle on January 12, 2007, 08:36:35 AM
Quote from: SamuelAdams on January 02, 2007, 08:40:55 PM

Buffa transferred to Millsaps for his senior year.

Looks like that addition of a solid arm plus the return of most of Millsaps line-up them up for a huge season. I think the only question people had about Millsaps was their pitching. Adding Buffa will be a good deal for Millsaps.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BoomerIL

BigPoppa.....

No, the winner does not get a 'bid.'

The UAA was originally started in the mid 80's by Rochester and Washington.  The league was formed by these two schools that found common ground in their desire for a league based on academic parity, rather than athletic similarity.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

frank_ezelle

I'll go ahead and post this now instead of later in the week since there is so little traffic on this board. 

#13 Millsaps and #19 Emory have a two-game series at Millsaps this weekend and both games will be webcast.  To add a little extra UAA interest to the game, I'm fairly sure that Brent Buffa will start one of the games but I can't say that with certainty.

Here's the link to listen to the games:  http://www.espnradio1240.com/listenlive.php

Saturday's game starts at 3:00 Central time with a pregame that should start around 2:45.

Sunday's game starts at 12:00 and I think there will be a pregame on that one as well.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

SamuelAdams

Anyone able to preview this year's tournament? I know it comes up in the next week or so.