BB: Pre-season All-American Teams

Started by Jim Dixon, January 17, 2008, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LWC23

Brian Clark from Linfield-Stats , He earned 2008  Northwest Conference Pitcher of the Year:
2nd team ABCA West Coast selection last year as a Junior.

POS   Name           School        ERA    W-L   SV   IP       H      ER    BB    SO    B/Avg
  P     Brian Clark    Linfield       2.59   9-1     0   76.1   60     22     22     48    .223

BigPoppa

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 09, 2008, 12:11:42 PM
I would add Carthage's Jason Acevado:
.465 avg / 17 2Bs / 12 HRs / 65 RBIs

Acevado is hitting 25 points higher than your "lock" and only is only 8 rbi behind with about 8 fewer games played.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

fouriscosmic

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 10, 2008, 11:33:55 AM
Quote from: fouriscosmic on May 09, 2008, 03:42:31 PM
Can there ever be a lock for player of the year.  David's power numbers are impressive and other numbers are good, but should a player win PoTY just because he hits home runs (lots and lots of them)?  David's OBS is 1.435 rather impressive, but not the best in D-III.  Dan Kauffman of Junita has a 1.624 (leads D-III in OBP and BB). 

If you want a 5 tool player as player of the year then David falls short.

Power - 100% the best HR hitter in D-III
Average - Very good, but not comparable to some of the 0.500 + hitters
Speed - I have never seen him play, but his low doubles and triples combined with few stolen bases implies no wheels
Fielding ability - 0.911 fielding percentage at 3B is not strong at all
Arm - Can't judge by any numbers, not the most important for 3B.

I don't know that I can offer a better candidate, but just some fodder for thought

David has also played 46 games this year, some of his numbers should be taken as per game averages.  He ranks 6th in RBI per game despite being ranked #1 for RBI

yeah, there can definitely be a lock for player of the year, and if Derek David doesn't win it, there's something wrong!!  The kid is hitting over .440 and has driven in over 73 runs......that should be enough, regardless of the fact that he hit more home runs in a season than has been seen in quite a while.

He'll win it, hands down.

I may be jaded when it comes to average but .440 just doesn't impress me like it used to.  Hopkins has 6 players with 50+ ABs hitting .440 or higher (most much higher with many more ABs) so I find it hard to buy that his .440 BA makes him a lock for POtY.  His power numbers are impressive, but is that what makes the biggest impact on the teams success?

mideastfan2

^^^ did you say 50+ at bats, or was that a typo and you actually meant over 100+ at bats??  50 at bats isn't enough to qualify how good of a hitter you are for a whole season, or even be considered for an all-conference, all-region, or allamerican team.

.444, with over 73 RBI's, 78 runs scored, and 26 HR's (not to mention his .915 slugging percentage & .520 on base percentage) is very very rare.  He's played a tough schedule and in a very tough conference.  I've been around DIII baseball for quite awhile and haven't seen too many players with these types of numbers that DON'T win POY honors. 

Just my opinion of course from what I've seen in the past.

dgilblair

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 10, 2008, 10:45:01 PM
^^^ did you say 50+ at bats, or was that a typo and you actually meant over 100+ at bats??  50 at bats isn't enough to qualify how good of a hitter you are for a whole season, or even be considered for an all-conference, all-region, or allamerican team.

.444, with over 73 RBI's, 78 runs scored, and 26 HR's (not to mention his .915 slugging percentage & .520 on base percentage) is very very rare.  He's played a tough schedule and in a very tough conference.  I've been around DIII baseball for quite awhile and haven't seen too many players with these types of numbers that DON'T win POY honors. 

I would have to agree.  Give me someone who takes it away from him.  Of course someone with more than 50 ab's

frank_ezelle

The most amazing number from the Derek David stat line is the 27 walks.  A guy is hitting .444 with 26 HR's and you would think someone would figure out that you shouldn't pitch to the guy.

My guess is that the batters behind David we also extremely tough.  Hunter Owen at Millsaps didn't have quite as much hitting surrounding him this year so he ended up being walked 45 times.  He still managed to break the Millsaps season record set in 2006 by Garner Wetzel with 16 HR's in 160 AB's, and his .388 BA, the 45 walks, and 12 HBP combined to give him a .556 OBP.

While his rbi's were down mostly due to lack of base runners, Hunter basically did as well or better than the 2007 season.  Since he has a medical redshirt year, I believe he will be back next season for Millsaps.
Millsaps Athletics:  http://www.gomajors.com/
Millsaps Photo Website:  http://gomajors.smugmug.com/

fouriscosmic

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 10, 2008, 10:45:01 PM

I knew someone wouldn't like my 50+ AB, so I will justify.  Ryan Biner 86 AB .488 BA torn ACL out for the season, Jonas Fester (pre-season all american) 67 AB .447 BA torn MCL missed the last 20 games.  Dan Merzel 50 AB .440 BA got a spot in the INF to fill the spot left by Fester.  The other three are all hitting over .485 with a min of 130 AB. Point is, all of them are hitting .440 and they are all on the same team, that is ranked in the top 25.

If you want to mention slugging percentage and OBP review my post about OBS he is nearly 200 points behind the D-III leader.  Still he is a great player.

My point to all of this was simply should power numbers be the only measure of POY status.

How about this for a POY pick.  Brian Youchak.  He has only played in 34 of Hopkins 38 games because other kids were let into games against easy opponents(134 AB), and he does not get mop up ABs when the game gets out of hand.  If he played in 46 games like David these would be his numbers

BA .515  Slug .836 OBP .541 RBI 70.4 Runs 71.7 and he would be 27-28.4 SB-SBA.

If he had the same number of ABs as David then his numbers would be.

74.8 Runs  73.3 RBI and 28-30 SB-SBA

I am sure that there are kids on other teams that you could play the same game with.  David has great numbers, but he is also one of the DIII leaders in AB and he plays in warm weather.  Don't let totals (RBI, Runs, HR, etc.) be most impressive part of what he has done.

mideastfan2

^^^^ I understand your point...and it's a very good one.

My only counterpoint would be that ever since the NCAA started regulating the number of games to 40, everyone is on the same page.  The cold weather schools can easily pick up doubleheaders with non-league opponenets as the year goes along IF (and a strongly emphasize IF) they want to reach that total of 40 games played.

fouriscosmic

and if they want to play in 45 degree weather and/or rain

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: fouriscosmic on May 11, 2008, 12:52:58 AM

Or 35 degrees and snow/sleet - check out early season games above the Mason-Dixon line.

It is a rare northern school that manages 40 games.  Scheduled non-con games often go bye-bye due to the necessity of making up conference games.

With a 40-game limit, I question the legality of having played 46 games (that count) even with a conference tourney.  Are Derek David's stats even legit?

Bostonian

Tim Kiely from Trinty has to be a 1st teamer. 9-0, 70 innings pitched, 1.4 ERA, 75 K's and 1 (that's right, 1) walk....

mideastfan2

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 11, 2008, 01:17:21 AM

Or 35 degrees and snow/sleet - check out early season games above the Mason-Dixon line.

It is a rare northern school that manages 40 games.  Scheduled non-con games often go bye-bye due to the necessity of making up conference games.

With a 40-game limit, I question the legality of having played 46 games (that count) even with a conference tourney.  Are Derek David's stats even legit?

I hope your joking, to even insinuate that David's stats aren't legit!  The NCAA 40 game rule pertains to regular season games.  McMurry played 40 of them, plus their conference tournament semi-final series, and the conference tournament (that totals 46).

I'm also not going to sit and here and let anyone use weather as an excuse.  Before the 40-game rule was put into place, teams had no problems playing 45+ games in a regular season.  I played for a "northern" school, and we usually played a 48 game schedule every year (and if something got rained/snowed out.....we rescheduled and made it up).

2 exmples from this year...Ohio Wesleyan played 40 regular season games.  Eastern Conn State played 39 regular season games.  Both are northern schools who battled weather problems. 

Now if your team's Coach doesn't want to reschedule those games, that's his fault.  But a southern team that can play all 40 games shouldn't be punished or looked upon as special.  I'm not buying that, and I never will.

Billy 40

The weather - that's part of the problem when evluating talent in a short Spring Baseball season up in the North. It is very difficult to compare a player when 50% of the games were played below 45 degrees, when teh other player played 100% of his games in weatehr over 75. So while a team might squeeze in 40 games, a large percentage were played in condtions more suited for Football. WOuld be nice to see how well some of these Southern teams would do, is tehy took a Spring Break trip up to NY or Chicago in March, instead of us travelling to Florida or wherever to get our brains beat in by teams playing outside for 8 weeks.

Regarding David - didn't  he hit a HR in 6 or 7 consecutive games? I don't care what competition he was playing against, that's really impressive. The fact he hit so many HR's, and accounted for so many runs, impressive. This quote below gave me a good chuckle...

"Average - Very good, but not comparable to some of the 0.500 + hitters"

Are you kidding me? There isn't a single .500+ hitter who is on the same planet with David's power numbers.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 11, 2008, 01:17:21 AM

The Presidents in the ASC recognized that we basically had two conferences under the 15-team umbrella.  They decided to expand the playoff formats in a manner similar to what the SCAC has done as well.

McMurry was the #1-seed in the West and played the #4 seed East Louisiana College in a crossover best 2-of-3.  Then, they swept the double-elimination format, 3 games to 0.

As for David's numbers, the 3-game series versus Chapman he went 5 for 13 scoring 3 runs plus 2 RBI.  In the 3-game series versus George Fox, he went 4 for 13 scoring 4 runs and a 4 RBI.  That is 9 for 26 plus 6 RBI against the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the West Region.  :)

fouriscosmic

Quote from: Billy 40 on May 11, 2008, 10:46:09 AM
The weather - that's part of the problem when evluating talent in a short Spring Baseball season up in the North. It is very difficult to compare a player when 50% of the games were played below 45 degrees, when teh other player played 100% of his games in weatehr over 75. So while a team might squeeze in 40 games, a large percentage were played in condtions more suited for Football. WOuld be nice to see how well some of these Southern teams would do, is tehy took a Spring Break trip up to NY or Chicago in March, instead of us travelling to Florida or wherever to get our brains beat in by teams playing outside for 8 weeks.

Regarding David - didn't  he hit a HR in 6 or 7 consecutive games? I don't care what competition he was playing against, that's really impressive. The fact he hit so many HR's, and accounted for so many runs, impressive. This quote below gave me a good chuckle...

"Average - Very good, but not comparable to some of the 0.500 + hitters"

Are you kidding me? There isn't a single .500+ hitter who is on the same planet with David's power numbers.

There is a reason that before I wrote average I wrote "power - 100% the best HR hitter in D-III"

We are talking about the BEST PLAYER in America at the D-III level.  There are a lot of things that go into a baseball game and hitting home runs is only one of them.  5 tool players are rare, and David is not a 5 tool player.