WBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by luvleeballa21, November 11, 2004, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvleeballa21

hello guys

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

A story previewing the NJCU womens season, it basically explains why NJCU wanted to leave the NJAC.  Instead of replacing an ineffective coach lets embarrass the school with a  misguided decision to leave the conference it helped found.
http://njo.com/sports/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/110086993361700.xml"> NJCU

phil

Knightstalker
I haven't checked in here in a long, long time. I wish I had. I almost missed a quote for the ages:
It's really going to ENHANCE our level of competition," said DeFazio. "Most of the time going in to those NJAC games we didn't feel we had much of a chance, but now there will be a whole different dimension to our season."

Put her on the NJCU Athletic Steering Committee. The wisdom of the quote alone warrants it.

NJAC's #1 Fan

Hello
    I am really curious how WPU loses to NEWARK!!  What a disapointment. Anyone else following games or just talking about NJCU - Who cares

luvleeballa21

What up people; new to d3hoops.com but have been following. my number one concern now is what is going on with MSU? It just seems as if its an entirely different team...............umm And who is the new coach????

Phil, she was on the committee, she was one of the prime proponents of moving out of the NJAC.  She is one of the coaches who should be replaced in my opinion.  She has not had a winning season yet in several years as the head coach.  She makes poor decisions, calls timeouts at an inappropriate time.  A perfect example is the NJCU at TCNJ game last season.  The Knights were on a hot streak, had a couple of your bigger players sucking wind, the girl with the bad knee that was wearing the heavy brace was having a hard time, and what does she do?  She calls a timeout after her girls scored, because she wanted to let them know they botched the called play.  Brilliant strategy, let a team that was struggling get rested and give them a chance to substitute players.  After that timeout the momentum swung to the Lions.  The Lions would most likely have won the game anyway, but why give them a break.

Keep her as the assistant AD and hire a new coach for the women, Make Jonathon Greene the womens head coach or bring in an assistant from a successful program, at least they know how to win.

Coach McGraw

Whatever happened to Ebony Allen?  She seemed like a good kid and great basketball player.

lionwatcher

So TCNJ does well in Ariz.  I guess they are starting to gel.  Tough start against good competition.  Can the Lions win the NJAC this year?

lionwatcher

PS:  Coach Fazio was simply saying that her kids would be more competitive against the new competiion.  Not that the compeition would be better.  They have struggled for years in the NJAC.  How bout coaches husband's girl, Tara Walker at St. John's (Bill Fazio Coaches Marist).  Juco Transfer doing great.

Lionwatcher, Coach DeFazio' husband is a very good high school coach, funny she can't seem to recruit some of his players.  She has a very fertile recruiting ground to work in and doesn't get many good players.  She has been on the job for over ten years and has not had a winning team yet.  She and other coaches that have not done well need to be replaced, moving the school to another conference was never the right answer.  She alienates players, she has had some good players who quit because she didn't know how to handle them, if she was a winner like coach Brown is with the men she could tell them to do it her way and they will win, but she can't.  NJCU needs to replace her with a coach who can recruit the area, and who doesn't have the stench of losing all over him or her.  Just the opinion of someone who has been watching the Knights play basketball for over 12 years now, both men and women.

lionwatcher

I don't know if she is a good coach or not, I only watched her for about 4 years, but I can say that she does not have the talent.  Very tough to compete with the CNJ, Rowan crowd, where the kids are clammering to go to the school.  NJCU is probably last or near to last on the "I wanna go to ......" list in NJ.  She maybe stale by now, understanding the tremendous uphill battle.  The good local kids go away to better schools.  Maybe she should go, but not solely based on W-Ls.

bearswatcher

I hate doing this, but I see how Shields gets player of week and a bunch of hype...she is a point guard, supposed to be running a team and she is a turn over waiting to happen, I don't get it

The NJCU women have impressed me this season; they are one game over .500 and playing great defense.  They are playing the same type of defense as the NJCU men play, which can be credited to the work assistant coach Jonathon Green has been doing with them.  He has brought a winning attitude and a defensive mindset to the team.  He also brings a strong work ethic to the court and it is starting to work.  This is the best womens team we have had at NJCU in at least 13 years.  Good work ladies, keep it up.

On Saturday night they held Staten Island to only 46 points in a 46-43 loss.  That point total is about 27 points below Staten Islands average and Staten Islands point differential for the season before the game was about 18 points.  Good defense will keep a team with limited talent in the game.

bhs

Can someone explain to me how the coaches vote for mvp,coach/year, and conf team?  Dimedio as co-mvp? newark not getting coach/year? Cooper not being 1st team conf?  Cooper v pride.  Let the conference numbers speak for themselves.  
COOPER 13.2pts, 15.5 rebounds,2.13blocks.
pride   8.8pts,  8.2 rebounds,1.53 blocks.

You would think that after last years mvp disgrace that the coaches would drop the buddy-buddy system

d-mac

It is time to find out who is in... and who is out.
Whose bubble has been burst and who is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers.
It's Selection Sunday... and tonight there will be a special "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" as the 2005 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Brackets are announced... LIVE on our air!
The Road to Salem and Virginia Beach officially starts tonight!

It plans to be a huge night... as 50 womens and 48 mens teams are officially invited to the dance and a chance at a national title.

Some teams already know they are going (thanks to winning their conferences) and some think they are going, but there are always surprises.

So tonight, we will break it all down. Starting at 8:30 PM EST, we will take a look at who is definitely in, who might make it, who will be disappointed, and what match-ups you might want to look forward to seeing later in the week.

Then at 10:00 PM EST... we will broadcast LIVE the Women's Selection Show so you can find out when we do... the 50 teams on the Road to Virginia Beach.

That will be followed by the Men's Selection Show at 10:30 PM EST - when 48 teams find out what their Road to Salem will be like.

After those selections... we will go over it with a fine-tooth comb and find out who we think are the surprises!

And throughout the show, we will hear from different regions with live reports and talk to coaches that have made surprising moves into the tournament.

Of course, you can listen in thank to http://www.goucher.edu/radio">Goucher College.
We suggest you try and use the low-bandwith signal which will require you to have htpp://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde601.html?h=software-dl.real.com&r=2723cbe80ea75bfa7021&f=windows/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe&p=RealOne Player&oem=dlrhap_bb&tagtype=ie&type=dlrhap_bb">Real Player and selection the rtsp://helix.goucher.edu/broadcast/goucherradiolb">28K version of the show.
At the same time, you can listen to the Broadcastmonsters.com version, using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx">Windows Media Player (go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for more information).

And you can share your opinions and questions with us, live on the air.
email - mailto:hoopsville@d3hoops.com">hoopsville@d3hoops.com  
AOL IM - Hoopsville2000

And for more information... check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" website (http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville" target=_top>www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville)!

Again... it all starts tonight at 8:30 PM EST.