MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPSoundLogs

Holy Wow Bcats!!!  That's an impressive/depressing injured reserve list you have there.  I think you're right, someone from WU must have spit on the Pope or something...Your Karma is terrible :-\!!!  Injuries are one thing, but half the squad out of commission is quite another.  All I can say is keep on truckin buddy! 

I'm just glad I have my lucky rabbits foot that I keep in my right pocket at all times...maybe you should look into getting one for yourself.  Good Luck ;)
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on January 17, 2007, 03:17:15 PM
Anybody know where Gil went?  I hope P-coleman and the rest of the old timers...I mean... Hall of Famers didn't scare him off!!! :D

Logs-
Sorry, there was a marathon of "Who's the Boss?" on television and I love Tony Danza.  I got a little distracted.  Thanks for caring :-*.

Quote from: (509)Rat on January 13, 2007, 08:48:05 PM
Yeah, UPS hit a ton of shots from beyond the arc...in fact they hit 8 and whitworth made a whopping 0 3-pointers....  But after watching the game last night I still think Whitworth is the better team this year, UPS just made their shots last night.

Rat-
It sounds like you may be shadowboxing a good performance.  I was unfortunately unable to make the game and cannot attest to the live action, but UPS went into unbeaten WW's home floor and "made their shots," good arguments that they are the better team this year.  You mention that WW made no three pointers.  I think the more telling stat is that WW only ATTEMPTED 3 three pointers.  I would blame it on a bad shooting night if they went 0-10 or maybe even 0-8.  However UPS held a team accustomed to around 16 attempts in a 50-60 possession game to 3 attempts in a 65-75 possession game.  (Jon Young usually takes 7 on his own!)  For once, the UPS DEFENSE may deserve a little credit.  It seems as if they were rotating well and getting out to shooters.  (However, it is not that surprising as, besides forcing turnovers, the three point line has been the other consistent bright spot of the UPS defense)

Quote from: bucs77 on January 16, 2007, 03:26:53 PM
  Should be a good one in a few weeks and in the meanwhile lets hope for Occidental to keep sweeping through the sciac so that we can both do some damage in the playoffs.

UPS and WW will, at best, have four in region losses between them by the end of the season.  Without putting the cart too far ahead of the horse, if Oxy continues and gets a high region ranking, there may end up being an NWC first round matchup similar to the Claremont-Oxy fiasco of last year.  A little bitter sweet.

UPSoundLogs

Gil, welcome back!!!

I'm not even gonna touch on your Tony Danza fetish...I'm just glad it's your problem and not mine :o

Anyways......Big game tonight between UPS and LC, finally a UPS home game I can attend!!!  I'm interested to see LC play, they must be doing something right to be 3rd in league right now, hopefully its an exciting game. 

Prediction: UPS 110 and LC 90, It will be close for most of the game but LC won't have enough fire power to keep up for the whole game and they will fizzle out in the last ten minutes.  Plus I can't imagine UPS not reaching 100+ at home.  Good luck fellas!

I think Gil is right, if we do end up with two NWC teams and one SCIAC team in the tourney the two NWC teams will probably be made to play each other in the first round...then the winner plays, and probably punishes, the SCIAC team(again).    I can't claim I know all the details but that seems like the most likely outcome.   Pat can you fill in some of the blanks for us JV boys...pretty please ;D
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on January 19, 2007, 02:26:21 PM
Pat can you fill in some of the blanks for us JV boys...pretty please ;D

I would like to point out LOGS that you are no longer a JV Boy and now outclass me as a Second Stringer.  Congratulations.

Whoever put my Karma down a notch for my last post....I hope it was for the UPS/WW commentary because Tony Danza is a great actor.

Willamette sounds like they are down in man power but if history can tell us anything about the WW-WU series...you cannot over look this game.  Should be a good night!

(509)Rat

QuoteIt seems as if they were rotating well and getting out to shooters.  (However, it is not that surprising as, besides forcing turnovers, the three point line has been the other consistent bright spot of the UPS defense)

You are correct Gil, they were getting out to the shooters but they always will get out to shooters because of the defense they run.  That 3/4 to full court press where they jump (double) everything and will guard you no matter where you are on the court is why Whitworth wasn't taking three's.  What Whitworth did do was give the ball to Symes and Williams, let them beat there guy off the dribble and pull up and take a shot from about 4-5 feet out, or wait for UPS's help and dish it to hasenfus and jurich for easy layups.  The only problem is that whitworth missed one too many easy layups and short...and I mean very short...jumpers.  Last year I thought UPS was the better team even though Whitworth played them very tight twice and beat them badly once, Whitworth just happened to get hot on the right night.  I think UPS is the same way at this point.  Whitworth didn't play a great game and UPS did, but I still think Whitworth beats UPS more often than not if they were to play each other every weekend.  But if both teams play to their potential the NWC should get two teams into the tourney this year and thats one thing I think we can all root for.

UPSoundLogs

Well I can't say it was a pretty game last night in Tacoma.  In Fact, I thought UPS was not gonna pull off the win for most of the second half.  The Loggers finally started playing defense(kind of) and making some shots with about 10 minutes left in the game.  Plus LC couldn't make a free throw to save their lives down the stretch, this led to a pretty dramatic come back from 13 down for the Logs to win by 6. 

I was very impressed by Tillery from LC, he was cutting through the press like nothing and was the leading scorer for the game.  He's VERY quick and was blowing right by UPS at every oppurtunity for an easy layup. 

Not too many highlights for UPS tonight.  However, Robert Kraul played very well(24 and 9 I think).  Joson Foster and Ryan Delong had off nights and when they aren't scoring things get pretty ugly. 

Oh well, a win is a win, my predictions for the game were WAY OFF but I guess I can't have all the answers all the time ;D.  Congrats to the Loggers on a hard fought come back win!!!

pineconefan

Back to NWC business.  Tired of dealing with the SoCal lawyer who specializes in truthiness.  Don't know if I've ever been misquoted so much in my life, including areguements with the spouse!

So Gilbert - what do you think Whitworth's chances are of winning at both Pacific and L&C this weekend?  Seems like this is the key weekend of the second half for the Pirates (leaving out for one second the Pirate-Loggers rematch).

Your Boxers have shown the typical up-and-down syndrome of youth.  What's your take on how they'll respond to a pair of tough losses this past weekend?  They have certainly played well at home.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

pineconefan

Also - anyone know when the regional rankings start getting posted?
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

UPSoundLogs

Yeah no kidding Pinecone, he's pretty painful to debate with...the guy doesn't even make sense.  Oh well, that's what we get for trying to make conversation with the SCIAC I guess!

Not sure about the rankings, sorry.

bucs77

what is the deal with those laguna beach wackos

Pat Coleman

Quote from: pineconefan on January 22, 2007, 06:29:29 PM
Also - anyone know when the regional rankings start getting posted?

First week of February.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Bucs77, I don't know who your made-up source is, but mine is the schools' annual Title IX filing with the U.S. Department of Education.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 23, 2007, 12:42:34 PM
From 2005-06:
Occidental MBB budget: $44,028
Whitworth MBB budget: $58,667

These numbers are reported to the federal government each year as part of Title IX.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wildcat11

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 23, 2007, 01:06:54 PM
Bucs77, I don't know who your made-up source is, but mine is the schools' annual Title IX filing with the U.S. Department of Education.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 23, 2007, 12:42:34 PM
From 2005-06:
Occidental MBB budget: $44,028
Whitworth MBB budget: $58,667

These numbers are reported to the federal government each year as part of Title IX.

Pat,

These numbers are reported as "operating expenses".  Since Whitworth does travel more to play out of state and in-state teams (non-conference and conference games) it would make sense to have greater operating expenses.  Am I missing something or are "budget" and "operating expenses" synonyms?

Attached: snapshot of Operating Expenses report

bucs77

Pat,
          I also found those numbers and then realized that those are not how much the school gives each program at the beginning of the year, but rather how much they spent in total on the team for the year.  So please get your facts straight before you come back

bucs77