MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineconefan

I have to agree with Bearcats - the Whitworth-Willamette rivalry has been a great one to watch since the early 90's.  It seems like either Whitworth or Willamette won the NCIC title for most of the 90s (with a couple L&C and one Pacific thrown in).  I remember some great battles between Friedrichs' Pirate teams and James' Bearcats. 

It seemed the rivalry was rekindled in Hayford's first year at Whitworth when Willamette won both regular season meetings, but then Whitworth won the playoff game in Salem.  The Pirates have won the last few...
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

UPSoundLogs

BCats- 

I have to agree with you about the Pios...very good and very dangerous!  It's too bad about WU this year, the NWC isn't quite the same without them in the hunt for the championship.  Do have any thoughts on how they will shape up for next year, or are they gonna have a few troubled years in a row ???
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

David Collinge

Thanks all...

Willamette/Whitworth is not a rivalry I'd have guessed, since they're so far apart.  Is it entirely based on success, as pineconefan seems to suggest, or is there something else fueling it?  Not that there's anything wrong with a success-based rivalry; I'm a graduate of Wooster, and although there isn't really anything "natural" about our rivalry with Wittenberg, it's still pretty intense. 

With both Whitworth and Whitman so isolated geographically, I'd guess they have no "natural" rivals, at least none in the conference.

pineconefan

David -

The Whitworth - Willamette rivalry is based on the teams' success, plus a series of tightly contested contests.  In addition, over the course of the last 15 or so years, I think that those two schools have had the consistently best followings of fans.

Certainly UPS is on a fan upswing with the late success, and Linfield had a serious home court advantage for a couple of years.  But over the long haul, Whitworth and Willamette have had the best (IMO).

bucs77

Any thoughts on the tuesday game this week?
   A tough pacific team who would like nothing more than to play the role of spoiler vs. an LC team that is playing very well as of late.
My prediction is 77-70 LC.

Also fellow NWCers......there has been some talk already on other boards about the SCIAC getting two teams in over the NWC.  Doesn't make much sense to me seeing that the NWC is 8-4 against the SCIAC this year and with WW, willamette and Pacific easily handing CAL LU and Redlands barely beating our bottom dwelling Whitman

bucs77

I just read my post and I shouldn't have said over the NWC as if one of the two leagues has to get two teams in.

TeeDub

Quote from: bucs77 on February 05, 2007, 10:35:10 PM

Redlands barely beating our bottom dwelling Whitman

Whitworth  62
Whitman     59

I see your point!

UPSoundLogs

JR- 

Thanks for stopping by, but I think this is more the picture Bucs was referring to.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Bucs.

NWC Standings

Whitworth         10 2
Puget Sound      9 3
Lewis & Clark     9 3
George Fox        6 6
Pacific (Ore.)      6 6
Willamette         5 7
Pacific Lutheran 4 8
Whitman       3 9  
Linfield               2 10
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

TeeDub

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on February 06, 2007, 12:19:15 PM
JR- 

Thanks for stopping by, but I think this is more the picture Bucs was referring to.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Bucs.

NWC Standings

Whitworth         10 2
Puget Sound      9 3
Lewis & Clark     9 3
George Fox        6 6
Pacific (Ore.)      6 6
Willamette         5 7
Pacific Lutheran 4 8
Whitman       3 9  
Linfield               2 10

Maybe I'm missing the point, but Bucs seemed to imply that a SCIAC second place team barely beating a NWC 'bottom dweller' means that the NWC is head and shoulders above the SCIAC...therefore, I merely illustrated that even your first place team barely beat your 'bottom dweller'...that's all.

bucs77

Logs was correct. And JR I noticed you avoided the fact that our 6-6, and 5-7 teams beat your first place cal lu. 

TeeDub

Quote from: bucs77 on February 06, 2007, 01:40:34 PM
Logs was correct. And JR I noticed you avoided the fact that our 6-6, and 5-7 teams beat your first place cal lu. 

First, I didn't start these comments, you did...and I didn't avoid the above, I chose to address the point you offered regarding Whitman...I could have easily mentioned Cal Lu's victory over L&C, but I didn't because you only referenced Whitman.

UPSoundLogs

Bucs,

I think it's possible that the SCIAC posters are in a some denial of how weak their conference truly is.  I'll give them Occidental, but after that there is a dramatic fall off.  Some of their posters are asking why Redlands and Cal lu are not recieving votes/being ranked :D...comon now ???  

The NWC is certainly not a national power conference by any means, but at least we can face the facts and not beg for LC/Pac to gain national attention simply for beating UPS/WW.  One win over a good team doesn't mean anything...even LC has taken some bad losses to even out their solid wins this season.  Gotta keep it in perspective ;)

bucs77

couldn't have said it better myself logs.
Back to our own conference...... which is ranked 6th by the massey rankings with the sciac at 21st.

Who do you like in the PAC LC game tonight.  Obviously I'll be rooting for a Pac win, but my guess was 77-70 LC.   

Also it maybe a little early for weekend predictions but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the UPS WW game will go down to the last minute.

WW 91 UPS 86   

UPSoundLogs

Bucs-

Where did you get that conference ranking?  Thats pretty cool, I had no idea the NWC was ranked that high!

As for the game tonight...I'm also hoping for a Pac win, but to be realistic and with the game being at LC I'm gonna have to say LC 72-62. 

Then for the big show this Friday, obviously I have to go with my guys pulling it out in the last few minutes...UPS 85 WW 83!!!  My prediction is its gonna be an awesome game, however since UPS will be at home and more desperate for the win they will pull it out...Can't wait!!!

pineconefan

We'll have a much better idea about where each conference stands with regard to a second berth once the regional rankings come out this week.  If a conference has two or more teams ranked regionally, that is a good sign.  Although to gain an at-large spot, a team will have to be pretty high in the regional rankings at the end of the season.