2014 / 2015 Coaching Carousel

Started by Mr.Right, December 11, 2014, 09:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonball

Speaking of Harkes and FCC, does anyone have an update on former FCC asst. and D3 All-American Ryan Martin, son of OWU legend Jay Martin? He left FCC this off-season....

Otterbein will feature a new coach in the 2017 season. Gerry D'Arcy did not survive to see year 30 at Otterbein. I hear they have a strong pool of  9-10 candidates, which will be trimmed down to 3-4 shortly...former Ohio State asst. Frank Spaeth, who was an asst at Capital this past season, Glen Tourville (a former OSU women's asst), Matt Weiss, who is currently an asst at OWU under Martin and an Otterbein alum, and Jason Griffiths, a former 4 year starter at Univ. of Kentucky and was on the New England Revolution roster for a short time.

Domino1195

Quote from: Moonball on December 16, 2016, 10:25:43 AM
Speaking of Harkes and FCC, does anyone have an update on former FCC asst. and D3 All-American Ryan Martin, son of OWU legend Jay Martin? He left FCC this off-season....

Otterbein will feature a new coach in the 2017 season. Gerry D'Arcy did not survive to see year 30 at Otterbein. I hear they have a strong pool of  9-10 candidates, which will be trimmed down to 3-4 shortly...former Ohio State asst. Frank Spaeth, who was an asst at Capital this past season, Glen Tourville (a former OSU women's asst), Matt Weiss, who is currently an asst at OWU under Martin and an Otterbein alum, and Jason Griffiths, a former 4 year starter at Univ. of Kentucky and was on the New England Revolution roster for a short time.

Griffiths it is!

http://www.otterbeincardinals.com/news/2017/1/3/griffiths-hired-to-take-over-mens-soccer-program.aspx

Mr.Right

Looks like Matt Smith either resigned or got fired at Alfred University. He had great success at Hopkins and then resigned or got fired as the story never really got to the factual part of what happened. That 2006 Hokpinks team that lost to Messiah in the Elite 8 was very legit and could have won a National Championship that year along with Williams if they had not run into that Messiah buzzsaw and that amazing GK they had that year. Amyhow, Alfred is now open. Maybe he found a better opportunity as it is a very hard school to recruit to and become a legit winner. I thought he showed his coaching prowess in either the 2014 or 2015 Empire 8 Final 4 at Stevens. I cannot remember which year. Stevens by far had the better team and more talent but Alfred hung around all game and were extremely organized defensively and were in a traditional 4-4-2 but you could see on video how the 4 backs and midfielders were each spaced abput 20 feet apart and stayed in there organized lines.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Mr.Right on January 22, 2017, 12:46:01 PM
Looks like Matt Smith either resigned or got fired at Alfred University. He had great success at Hopkins and then resigned or got fired as the story never really got to the factual part of what happened. That 2006 Hokpinks team that lost to Messiah in the Elite 8 was very legit and could have won a National Championship that year along with Williams if they had not run into that Messiah buzzsaw and that amazing GK they had that year. Amyhow, Alfred is now open. Maybe he found a better opportunity as it is a very hard school to recruit to and become a legit winner. I thought he showed his coaching prowess in either the 2014 or 2015 Empire 8 Final 4 at Stevens. I cannot remember which year. Stevens by far had the better team and more talent but Alfred hung around all game and were extremely organized defensively and were in a traditional 4-4-2 but you could see on video how the 4 backs and midfielders were each spaced abput 20 feet apart and stayed in there organized lines.

I believe he took a job elsewhere.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on January 23, 2017, 04:29:04 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on January 22, 2017, 12:46:01 PM

I believe he took a job elsewhere.

Yes, Shenandoah.  http://www.suhornets.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20161220m723fz

jknezek

Ouch. That's a rough job. Since moving to the ODAC, Shenandoah has been absolutely hapless. 5-44-4 in conference over 5 years with at least 2 winless conference seasons. I guess there is nowhere to go but up...

Mr.Right

Gordon Men's Soccer opens up again, Pottegier did a pretty good job at Gordon with what he had to work with. He moves on to NCAA D2.

http://athletics.gordon.edu/news/2017/1/18/mens-soccer-potteiger-steps-down-from-head-soccer-post.aspx

Medicated Pete

Good to see a some former Duhawks sticking with the footy game.  ;D ;D

Elvert and Koenig wish you luck in your next endeavor.

Sean Elvert is in his first year as an assistant men's soccer coach at Ohio Northern.
Prior to joining the ONU staff, Sean was an assistant coach for the men's soccer program at Bluffton University from 2015-2017.
He also served as an assistant coach for the men's program at Loras College (Iowa) after playing goalkeeper for the Loras Men's Soccer team. 
During his four years at Loras, Sean played on teams that qualified for the NCAA Tournament each year which included two trips to the "Final Four".
Sean earned his degree in Sport Management with a minor in Public Relations in 2015. In addition, Sean was an assistant coach for the boy's soccer program at Wahlert Catholic High School in Dubuque, Iowa for two years.

and Sam Koenig

The Dominican University department of athletics has announced the hiring of Sam Koenig for the open position of Coordinator of Athletics Facilities and Student-Workers/Assistant Men's Soccer Coach, replacing Dominican University alum Jeff Halsema '03 who had been with the department in various roles since 2003.  Koenig comes to Dominican after a standout playing career at Loras College where the Dubuque native helped the Duhawks to three NCAA Division III National Tournament Final Fours including a national runner-up finish in 2015. 

During his collegiate soccer career, Koenig was a two-time Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American as well as a NSCAA Scholar All-American, both awards combining his academic and athletic success with the Duhawks.  Koenig was twice recognized as an All-IIAC selection, including during his junior season when he earned a spot on the NSCAA All-North Region First Team in helping Loras to a 17-3-2 overall mark and a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship.

Upon graduation, Koenig joined the Loras College athletics staff serving as an assistant coach with the Duhawks' men's and women's soccer teams before adding head women's lacrosse coach responsibilities in July of 2016.  With the soccer programs, Koenig helped Loras to Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) in both men's and women's soccer including a NCAA Division III National Tournament second round appearance with the women.  With the Duhawks' women's lacrosse program, Koenig led the program to a program-record in wins before recruiting ten student-athletes for the 2018 season.

In addition to his success as a player and a coach with the Duhawks, Koenig has additional experience as a soccer coach at the club and high school levels.  From 2013-2016, Koenig helped develop the Wahlert Catholic boys' soccer program, earning a Class 2A third-place finish in the Iowa state tournament in 2016 while coaching a total of twenty all-conference athletes along the way.  In the club scene, Koenig is a director and board member of the Key City Soccer Club, focusing on developing essential soccer skills, and work ethic, as well as getting the club's players to play at a higher level.