2016 North Region

Started by dontshootthegoose, September 09, 2016, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisco21

Agreed WarhawkFan. Also strengthening their claim with a win over North Park last night.

Looking at their schedule a little closer, they play their final match on October 23rd. The first round of the tournament is the weekend of November 12th and 13th. That's ~20 days without a match....yikes!

Puerco Espin

Will next week's Regional Rankings include games on Tuesday? Can't remember what the cutoff is.

With Dubuque losing to Wartburg at home, I certainly expect them to fall from No. 1, but how far is the question. I'm guessing St. Thomas will take over No. 1. If Tuesday's games are included, the winner of Loras/Luther could move into No. 2, or does Macalester move into No. 2?
NCAA Final Four: 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015
NCAA Sweet 16: 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014
NCAA Tournament: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
IIAC Champions: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Flying Weasel

It's games through Sunday just like every other poll/ranking.

dontshootthegoose

Predictions for new regional rankings

1. St. Thomas
2. Luther
3. Loras
4. Dubuque
5. Macalaster
6. UWW

Points to mention- St. Thomas has shown that they are the king in the North.

Luther is playing well and is deserving of top 2.

I think the committee is biased towards Loras (based off of last rankings, without having a really significant win), I wouldn't have them in the top 5.

Dubuque has dropped two against non regionally ranked opponents, Wartburg and Platteville

Macalester only had one game this week, a tie against Augsburg

Norberts is cruising right now, but in a lackluster conference

UWW just beat Wash U/North Park in the last week and are on a 6 game winning streak.  Could see them being bumped anywhere from 3-6 spots.

I think the only real teams to make a run in the national tournament are:

St. Thomas as they are undefeated (but we saw last year with Macalester how that turned out)

Loras, their style of play is hard to match. Although they are down from years past, Rothert owns postseason.

UWW- have played Luther, Macalester, Loras, Norberts, Carthage, North Park, Wash U..... In those games they are 3-2-2. With wins against NP and Wash U in the past week.

D3 Scout

St. Norberts have done nothing wrong so I do not see them dropping out of the top 6. They also have wins over UWW and Loras. Macalester could be the odd team out as they are 2-3-2 in their last 7.

1. UST
2. Loras
3. Luther
4. Dubuque
5. St. Norberts
6. UWW

dontshootthegoose

UWW just ranked #14 in the NCSAA poll, only behind St. Thomas

1. St. Thomas
2. UWW
3. Dubuque
4. Luther
5. Loras
6. Macalaster

And to be fair, that seems like a pretty realistic regional ranking. UWW has had the most impressive wins relative to everyone else in this group. I think they will be the most dangerous team in the North come national tournament time. They have an all-american keeper in Lucatorto, an all-american forward in Hottsmith, have a well-developed senior class; and play with athleticism/speed and power with set pieces that is hard to match.

gustiefan04

Quote from: dontshootthegoose on October 25, 2016, 02:09:57 PM
UWW just ranked #14 in the NCSAA poll, only behind St. Thomas

1. St. Thomas
2. UWW
3. Dubuque
4. Luther
5. Loras
6. Macalaster

And to be fair, that seems like a pretty realistic regional ranking. UWW has had the most impressive wins relative to everyone else in this group. I think they will be the most dangerous team in the North come national tournament time. They have an all-american keeper in Lucatorto, an all-american forward in Hottsmith, have a well-developed senior class; and play with athleticism/speed and power with set pieces that is hard to match.

Stanko was also an AA last year...they are a dangerous team. When they are on, they can compete with just about anyone.

dontshootthegoose

Yup he was. Scary thing is, he isn't even playing right now.

D3 Scout

From what I saw I believe that the Warhawks are better off without him. He is not the same player as he was last year. Might have to do with the injuries he has been dealing with.

D3 Scout

NORTH   
1 St. Thomas (MN) 13-0-3
2 Wis.-Whitewater 13-4-3
3 Dubuque 12-4-0 
4 Luther 11-4-2
5 Wartburg 12-5-1
6 St. Norbert 14-3-0

These are a bit flawed since Luther should presumably drop out and be replaced by Loras after the result went in Loras's favor Tuesday night.

UWW season is over since they have no conference tournament. .587 SOS and potentially 4-2-2 regionally ranked record enough to host for the Warhawks?

Loras and Macalester were most likely was booted due to their 0-3 and 0-2 records against regionally ranked opponents.

Still seems like St. Norbert is dependent on winning the conference championship. .521 SOS and 2-0 record against regional ranked (if Loras gets added next week) seems like it might not be enough.

Wisco21

Would love to see Norberts make it. Also believe it is definitely feasible for UWW to host. I would assume UST, UChicago, IIAC winner, would all get to host as well? I know geographically the NCAA will blend some North region and Central region teams into a pod. Same with Great Lakes region and Central region.

dontshootthegoose

Firmly believe with the addition of video for UWW, they have a good chance to host. They may be sitting in the most comfortable position in the country with sitting back and watching everyone else compete. They won't drop in the regional rankings and have time to rest up.

Only way for Norbs to make the tournament is if they win their tournament. Will not have enough to bypass the three IIAC teams for the Pool C and/or the 2 MIAC teams.

gustiefan04

you also need to account for 1 UMAC team getting in with their AQ, taking one of the North Region spots.

the only way the MIAC gets 2 teams in, is if St. Thomas bows out of the MIAC playoff early and the AQ goes to another team. If St. Thomas wins the AQ, I suspect that they will be the only MIAC team represented in the NCAA's. It would be the first time in several years the MIAC didn't have multiple representatives in the tournament.

D3 Scout

From what I have heard UWW's grass field is in terrible condition right now. Many days of rain followed by games has caused the field to be the worst it has ever been in years. Also, the fact that Chicago, Carthage and UWW are logistically close to each other could be another deciding factor.

Chicago, Carthage, UST and DePauw could be the four "Midwest" hosts. Could see UWW being the #2 in either the UST or DePauw's group of 4.

KrazyLegZ

If Loras wins the IIAC I could see them hosting as well.