WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Ralph was saying the budget could be cut IF they split into divisions.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PrideSportBBallGuy

Pat-

I am agreeing with Ralph on that aspect.  I think it is a good way to cut budgets.  I ran some mileage numbers and saw the situation that SU is in currently.  The only feasible way they could cut the travel budget though is playin VA schools twice and playing every NC team at home. Thats of course if there was a balanced schedule.  A 18-game conference schedule doesn't benefit any team in the conference in terms of milage.  Keeping it at 14-game conference schedule when MB and MC join, will leave two teams out every year. If every team is played twice.  It won't really determine a conference champ.

SU's current situation on mileage is 1660.49 miles conference.  18 games would make it obviously higher at 2001.  Even if SU played (GC, NCWC) the two closest schools to their school, every year on what a proposed 13-game conference, that makes sense, (playing VA schools twice and NC schools once and vice versa for NC schools) the milage is 1536.81.  Thats if they played those two on the road every year.  I am sure it would be more fair to alternate Home/Away.  Thier mileage would be more any other way.  I am still in the middle of putting the numbers together.  I will show you my results a little later.

In general this won't help SU cut travel budget.  Adding the two teams will hurt SU.

I won't debate about top 25, but you said before.

"This is no snub. This is reality. Who is the Top 25, or even Top 50 team that Greensboro has played and beaten, exactly?"

Adding those teams will make it worse.

Pat Coleman

Agreed that those two teams do not help the USAC women's basketball teams' competitiveness nationally.

And also, yes, two new conference games increase Shenandoah's conference-game travel. But those are two games (or however many depending on your proposed conference setup) that they don't have to play non-conference. No more home-and-home with St. Mary's, doesn't hurt there.

Unfortunately for Shenandoah, this is what life is like as a geographic outlier.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PrideSportBBallGuy

I have looked at just about every possibility, no matter what SU is an outlier.  I think a NC and VA break up helps NC teams because they are all close to each other for the most part.  VA they are much more spread out.  An somewhat unfeasible E and W will have to work out.  With all VA teams in one division for instance CNU will have 911 division miles.  What I think it should be they have 837 miles. AU 661 miles in VA and E/W division  they only have 458 miles. So here is what I think the confereces divsions should be. (Numbers represent miles

Division           1
Peace          558.2
Meredith          558.11
Ferrum          571.32
Shenadoah     1091.71
Averett          458.28
TOTAL          3237.62

Division           2
Greensboro    710.26
CNU          837.36
Mary Baldwin  1000.02
NCWC          622.83
Methodist          758.09
Total          3928.56

No matter what USA South decides having SU and Methodist together should never happen as it is the biggest trip in the conference.

This way if there is a 13-game conference play.  SU will never really exceed the amount of travel they have already.  Even though they probably will.

PrideSportBBallGuy

Practice starts in a little bit over in a month, and games are in two months.  Anybody got any thoughts on this season.

cnufan

Quote from: PrideSportBBallGuy on September 18, 2006, 09:50:40 PM
Practice starts in a little bit over in a month, and games are in two months.  Anybody got any thoughts on this season.

Ive got some thoughts, is women's basketball as painful to watch to others as it is to me!! Just kidding, although all the turnovers dont help! I cant wait to get a look-see at CNU's roster. I know they have some newcomers and maybe even a transfer or three!! We shall see.

PrideSportBBallGuy

Goose-
C'mon I would rather watch a girls basketball team play then a guys team.  I think it makes better games.  Don't know, I just think girls treat the game better then the guys do.

SU has thier roster up. I am interested in seeing this conference in two years.  When it is huge.

cnufan

Nah not two years, next year!

PrideSportBBallGuy

Sorry Goose-I was including this season too.  I should have said two seasons  :-\

cnufan

And get this! They have to play all 18 of their conference games between Jan. 9 (I think) and Feb. 16 or 23. There's a spell where CNU could be playing four games in 8 days a couple time and four games in 10 days. I still think they need to move at least two and maybe four games to December or end of November, much like the ODAC and Capital do. Spread things out a bit so they arent playing seven non-conference games from middle of November to Jan. 9.

PrideSportBBallGuy

Narch-

Women's basketball step on over here.  I was looking to see which rosters were up in the conference Methodist has 12 players, I guess trying out. 11 of which are freshman.  I guess cuts will be made over at methodist.  Unless they want to keep 23 people assuming the 11 returners are there.

PrideFan1986

I am jus looking foward to the seasons startin up

hasanova

Guilford published their schedule last Friday.  There are some games of interest versus the USASAC.  The women open with Bennett in a home tournament.  McMurry (TX) and SUNY Oneonta are the other bracket.  Other non-conference games are Greensboro at home plus Ferrum and Methodist at a tournament in Fayetteville.  The usual 20-game ODAC schedule completes the 25-game regular season.

http://www.guilford.edu/athletics/releases/2006-07/BBSchedules.html

PrideSportBBallGuy

Preseason Poll 2006-07

1. Greensboro (5) 46
2. Christopher Newport (3) 45
3. Ferrum 34
4. Methodist 31
5. Shenandoah 24
6. Averett 19
7. Peace 14
8. N.C. Wesleyan 11

I agree a little more with this poll then I did last year.  I think Methodist can finish as high as 2nd.  They had a young team last year so the experience might play a role.  Ferrum nice spot, but I think they might finish lower as low as 5 or 6th.  AU made a solid run last year, I thought.  Possibly as high as 4. Those are my thoughts.  As soon as all the rosters get up.  I will put in my words in for preseaons 1st all-conference.  (Which was right last year)

bballno07

As the season starts Greensboro has three returning starters and 2 that were role players last year.  Staci Humphrey (23 ppg) is back for her last year and it should be a good one.  Also back are Jamie Motsinger (8 ppg) and Katie Freeman (6 ppg).  Both who were freshman last year and starters.  The other third starter last year as a freshman, Mary Porter is not back.