2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

For Hoopsville tonight, it will help to have final projected regional rankings correct.  Anyone who has time to zero in on final regional rankings for a region or two (or three, or all) we'd love to see your thoughts.  A couple sources for the data you need:

https://tomaroonandgold.blogspot.com/p/division-iii-mens-regional-rankings.html

http://www.fantastic50.net/d3h_men.html

And here are the last regional rankings - https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/men-regional-rankings-third.

Those regional orders are very important obviously.  Thanks.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is it! The regular season is over. The conference titles have been handed out and 86 teams know they will be playing next week in the NCAA Division III men's and women's Championship Tournaments!

However, 42 slots need to be filled. Which programs have best positioned themselves to selected to play for a national title?

It is the biggest show of the year. Bubble teams watch anxiously. Rivals watch wondering if their rivals will make the event. Others watch because ... this is one of the best nights of the entire season.

Tune in a special episode of Hoopsville where we will make our mock selections of who will be in and who will be left out of the DIII national tournaments. Our teams of experts will make the picks using the same criteria the national committees consider.

Plus, hear, one last time before the brackets are announced, from the national committee chairs who discuss how this year's rankings and process have worked out. And hear from some teams who have already punched their tickets to the tournaments - many for the first time in program history!

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's special will hit the air at 6:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2XuWjWa (or via Facebook Live or Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- John Alesi, Baruch men's coach
- Sam Atkinson, Men's National Committee Chair (Gallaudet Associate Director for Communications)
- Russ Phillips, Alfred men's coach
- Bill Curley, Emerson men's coach
- Karin Harvey, Women's National Committee Chair (Montclair State women's coach)
- Rayne Reber, Rosemont women's coach
- Lyle Jones, Bethany Lutheran women's coach

Men's Mock Selections Team:
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com
- Bob Quillman, IWUHoops.com
- Michael Blaine, Medaille men's coach

Women's Mock Selections Team:
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com
- BJ Spigelmyer, DeSales Sports Information Director
- James Wagner, CSAC Assistant Commissioner

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Titan Q on February 24, 2019, 04:03:27 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 24, 2019, 03:41:41 PM
I don't think we can pull enough teams west to support the number of "deserving" West/Central hosts. North Central and Loras are probably on the road. (I'm personally slotting St. John's ahead of Loras but could be convinced otherwise).

I think between St. John's, North Central, and Loras two will host and one will get shut out.  Seems like St. John's will pass Loras in the final West ranking...so my money would be on Loras to be the odd team out.

I agree on this, but it would probably be easier to construct a competitvely balanced bracket and pods with Loras hosting over SJU due to its more centralized location to other tournament qualifiers.

This is just speculation, I haven't researched which teams can reach Loras in Dubuque, IA that cannot reach St. John's in Collegeville, MN.

Titan Q

For example.  Central region...

Last Central Ranking (through games of Sunday 2/17)
1. Augustana: .920/.534/7-2
2. UW-Oshkosh: .920/.541/3-2
3. Wheaton: .720/.567/4-4
4. North Central: .800/.520/3-3
5. UW-La Crosse: .680/.575/3-2
6. UW-Stevens Point: .667/.586/1-6
7. Illinois Wesleyan: .680/.560/2-7
8. Chicago: .625/.563/4-2

Projected Central Final Ranking (through games of Sunday 2/24)
1. Augustana: .889/.547/8-3
2. UW-Oshkosh: .885/.542/3-3
3. North Central: .815/.543/5-3
4. Wheaton: .704/.576/4-5
5. UW-Platteville: .630/.593/6-5
6. UW-Stevens Point: .667/.590/2-6
7. Illinois Wesleyan: .667/.569/2-8
8. UW-La Crosse: .654/.574/4-2
(Washington U: .680/.565/3-6)

KnightSlappy

Oshkosh can't host due to women. Does the NCAA tend to just move that pod and keep Oshkosh as the "1", or would they move Oshkosh to another site (say North Central) and make the Titans serve as the "2"?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 24, 2019, 04:25:05 PM
Oshkosh can't host due to women. Does the NCAA tend to just move that pod and keep Oshkosh as the "1", or would they move Oshkosh to another site (say North Central) and make the Titans serve as the "2"?

Top ranked teams tend to be moved to another team in the pod they were bracketed with ... not to another team that is similarly ranked. They still get treated like the top team.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Shouldn't be an issue in the AMCC as the power is back on at La Roche, but what would happen if a conference couldn't complete it's tournament by selection time?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on February 24, 2019, 05:11:40 PM
Shouldn't be an issue in the AMCC as the power is back on at La Roche, but what would happen if a conference couldn't complete it's tournament by selection time?

It has already become an issue - they needed the selections in by 6pm ET. They had to request an extension. They have until 8pm ET.

If they can't make it, I suspect they will revert back to the regular season title winner.

Smitty Oom

So what you are saying is that La Roche wanted to ensure their own spot int he NCAA tourney and have the "power go off" during the championship game?  Seems like a smart play to me. ;D :D

ronk

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 24, 2019, 06:38:37 PM
So what you are saying is that La Roche wanted to ensure their own spot int he NCAA tourney and have the "power go off" during the championship game?  Seems like a smart play to me. ;D :D

Cue one of Sager's cartoon videos.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ronk

Well done for spur-of-the moment. Is their mascot a bobcat?

Gregory Sager

Alas, they're the Redhawks.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

The RedHawk is there --- inside the cat  ;D

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 24, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 24, 2019, 04:25:05 PM

Top ranked teams tend to be moved to another team in the pod they were bracketed with ... not to another team that is similarly ranked. They still get treated like the top team.

How this went down in our bracketing process is we started with UW-Oshkosh in a pod which was hosted by the 3-seed, Hanover. As the process progressed, we needed to move Hanover elsewhere and we ended up with UWO's pod being at the 4 seed, Lake Forest.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.