MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 30, 2017, 12:41:59 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 30, 2017, 12:07:08 AM
I went to the Cobber Oles game on Saturday and Realized that the Oles have an unreal 5 game non conference schedule.

#2 Whitman
#4 UW River Falls
#6 Whitworth
Stevens Point who is usually very solid
Bethany Lutheran or some UMAC school I dont know for

That explains there such high SOS and regional ranking despite average record.

They are playing better as of late winning 5 of the last 7 including a win at the Shoe.

Um... what regional ranking? They haven't come out as of yet. First rankings are released Feb. 8. And unless you are checking out KnightSlappy's SOS numbers, those aren't out from the NCAA, either.

Sorry to cause confusion Dave. I saw a link to some sort of rankings in the Multi-Regional section somewhere. Maybe it was KnightSlappy's rankings and it was sorted by regions. If that is what it was I was surprised by how high Olaf was in the West, but these tough nonconference games would explain it. For now, that is what I am going to call regional rankings if that is okay!

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Drake Palmer on January 26, 2017, 12:50:29 PM
Nice list Smitty. With the Australian Open going on, I hardly have a chance to keep up with the hoops.  ;) I should point out that the MIAC has an All FY team, while yours is an All Rookie team - which includes transfers. But no problem, this is your list.

I think a lot could change over the next 3 weeks or so, but right now my vote for 6th Man of the year would be Granger Kingland, Nate Albers, or Jay Betts. It would also be great to see one of the POY front runners step up and start carrying their team.   

Hopefully, beginning next week, I'll be able to get out from behind the computer console and see some games live in the next few weeks.

You are right about Jay Betts, I had forgot about him. He has been really good in Hamline's surprising year thus far! I would already move Schaeffer up a team after this week. I was being persuaded by his missed games and slow start, but he is the top PG in this league and one of the top in the country when he is healthy.

bball1122

Huge night of games tonight.  As already mentioned, Bethel is heading to UST in a battle for first place.  Tommies seem to have found their groove now that they are healthy - hard to pick against them tonight.

SJU heads up I94 to take on the Cobbers.  The Johnnies can keep pace with Bethel/UST with a win - a loss likely means it's a two team race for the title this year.  Concordia needs a win to separate themselves from the logjam at 7-6/6-6.

Hamline travels to Northfield to take on the Oles in a huge game for both teams.   Hamline has hit a tough stretch since their hot start, while St. Olaf has won 5 of 7.  Both teams needing a win to stay in the top 6.

Augsburg hosts GAC with the same thing on the line as HAM/STO/CORD - vying to get a leg up on 4th place and make it into the top 6.  With a loss, GAC is probably out of the playoff hunt.

Finally, MAC travels down to SMU in what again is the battle to stay out of last (though both teams could be spoilers down the stretch, especially the way MAC has been playing of late. 

Should be a fun night and a big week - three games in six days for many of the teams. 

Smitty Oom

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 30, 2017, 12:27:04 PM
Man, the fact checking on this board is relentless!

Attended a closer than anticipated BU vs. MAC game on Saturday...Mac shot 50% for the game, but Bethel was able to answer and maintained a lead for all but a brief moment in the second half when they went down 67-65, and eventually had a strong push to close out the game (they were up 10 before mac hit a couple of threes to close the gap).  Mac has some talent, but just doesn't seem very cohesive on offense...lots of individual efforts at trying to break down defenders / score.  Gutierrez is a solid guard, and hit a number of threes, but doesn't seem to try and facilitate much, or at least didn't Saturday.  Ismail was solid in the post, and did just fine against a taller Magnusson. 

Ferm (IMO) has a ton of potential...super athletic, looked great a number of times, but disappeared for large portions of the game.  I'd want him more involved offensively if I'm a mac fan.

Big week for the Royals with the Tommies tonight (@UST), and Carleton Wednesday, SJU Saturday (both at home).  I'd be happy to see them go 2-1, but my head says 1-2.  Seems like they just can't every quite get over hump with UST, and then I'd bet they'll drop either the Carl or SJU games.  Would love to be proven wrong.

Dave just wants everyone to have things right, I totally get it!

As for the MAC team, they will get some big wins this last half of the season that will shake up the playoff seeds and who gets in. Too talented of a roster to go 1-9 through the MIAC again. With what you said about Ferm, Gutz and Ismail and their offense just not flowing like it should and numerous bad seasons, I wonder how many seasons Whittle has left... (I had mentioned it a couple weeks ago but no one said anything so I wanted to see if anyone wants to weigh in).

Bethel does have a big week ahead and last time you had negative thoughts about BU's tough week you were right. I also am predicting a loss at UST tonight, but I bet they bounce back for two big wins against the suddenly hot Knights and Johnnies.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: bball1122 on January 30, 2017, 01:33:16 PM
Huge night of games tonight.  As already mentioned, Bethel is heading to UST in a battle for first place.  Tommies seem to have found their groove now that they are healthy - hard to pick against them tonight.

SJU heads up I94 to take on the Cobbers.  The Johnnies can keep pace with Bethel/UST with a win - a loss likely means it's a two team race for the title this year.  Concordia needs a win to separate themselves from the logjam at 7-6/6-6.

Hamline travels to Northfield to take on the Oles in a huge game for both teams.   Hamline has hit a tough stretch since their hot start, while St. Olaf has won 5 of 7.  Both teams needing a win to stay in the top 6.

Augsburg hosts GAC with the same thing on the line as HAM/STO/CORD - vying to get a leg up on 4th place and make it into the top 6.  With a loss, GAC is probably out of the playoff hunt.

Finally, MAC travels down to SMU in what again is the battle to stay out of last (though both teams could be spoilers down the stretch, especially the way MAC has been playing of late. 

Should be a fun night and a big week - three games in six days for many of the teams.

Make that 4 games in 8 days with them playing saturday as well! Getting in most of the 20 conference games in JAN and FEB makes the MIAC one of the tougher and challenging conference schedules in D3 I would imagine.

You nailed it with what a big week it will be. If current trends continue, the Knights could vault themselves to the top 4 teams by the end of the week with a big win at BU on Wednesday. Also continuing trends, Hamline could play themselves right out of the playoffs this week, especially with a loss to the surging Oles.

My picks for tonight:

- UST gets the W and seemingly the MIAC regular season crown tonight.
- Cobbs play well and make some shots at home and gets the SJU sweep this year in Glas' last year as HC, making the Cobber faithful quite pleased.
- Oles beat the Pipers and sends panic to Coach Hayes office in Hutton Arena
- Auggies cruise by GAC at home
- MAC beats SMU, they have been playing too good lately to lose to the Cards.

Drake Palmer

Random musings...

For now, my money is on the sometimes awkward looking, but highly effective TWO-WAY player Kevin Grow of Carleton for league MVP. He is pulling Carleton into the playoff race.  SJU's Tyler Weiss is probably the smoothest post and has some of the sweetest moves in the league outside of Collin Olmscheid, but he doesn't change a game the way Grow can.

With the emergence of the athletic big man Freddie Gillespie (who seems to have gotten past his knee problems), and the smooth stroking FY Kent Hanson, the Carlies with their physical, yet cerebral brand of ball will be tough down the stretch.

Olmscheid needs to get hot and start carrying the Dawgs, find another consistent scoring threat, and get a defensive stopper.  Their defense rivals the Jays, but SJU can cover up their defensive holes with the number of scoring threats they have.

Cobbs can beat the Jays if they focus on pounding the ball to Austin Heins & Kevin Wolfe which should open the outside for Zach Kinny & Dylan Alderman. On the other hand, I could see the Jays shooting the Cobbs out of the gym.

Jays need to commit to playing defense as much as they do their offense. Tommies worked them on the offensive glass on Saturday. SJU's Stokman & Strom are probably the best offensive guard tandem in the league, but come up a bit short in terms of overall play – ball control, distribution, defense to Bethel's Wojta & Hall, & UST's Shaeffer & Veil. 

Mac's Wyatt Ferm is a very good athlete & player. I know an injury was holding him back initially this year, but he can play.  Also, not sure if this is his brother or not, but there is another Ferm at Farmington who made all state as a wide receiver this fall.

Although Macalester and Carleton have similarly rigorous academic profiles, from what I've been told, the culture at Mac isn't as conducive to a successful athletic environment.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 30, 2017, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 30, 2017, 12:41:59 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 30, 2017, 12:07:08 AM
I went to the Cobber Oles game on Saturday and Realized that the Oles have an unreal 5 game non conference schedule.

#2 Whitman
#4 UW River Falls
#6 Whitworth
Stevens Point who is usually very solid
Bethany Lutheran or some UMAC school I dont know for

That explains there such high SOS and regional ranking despite average record.

They are playing better as of late winning 5 of the last 7 including a win at the Shoe.

Um... what regional ranking? They haven't come out as of yet. First rankings are released Feb. 8. And unless you are checking out KnightSlappy's SOS numbers, those aren't out from the NCAA, either.

Sorry to cause confusion Dave. I saw a link to some sort of rankings in the Multi-Regional section somewhere. Maybe it was KnightSlappy's rankings and it was sorted by regions. If that is what it was I was surprised by how high Olaf was in the West, but these tough nonconference games would explain it. For now, that is what I am going to call regional rankings if that is okay!

Yes -that would be KnightSlappy's work.. his rankings are pretty much data driven based on the SOS and record... he, I don't think, takes into account the Results v Regionally Ranked Opponents, common opponents, and some other stuff. So, there is a chance St. Olaf might not be that high. That said, his SOS numbers should be dead on accurate, though that number will move (most likely downward) in the coming weeks.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Reg.   Rank   Team   Conf    WP   SOS   RPI   Rank   Pool   StatusD3   vRRO   OVR      
WE   1   Whitman   NWC   1.000   0.553   0.665   4   A   C   19-0   0-0   19-0      
WE   2   Whitworth   NWC   0.842   0.546   0.620   12   C   5   16-3   0-0   16-3      
WE   3   CMudd-S SCIAC   1.000       0.479   0.609   20   A   wC   13-0   0-0   15-1      
WE   4   Loras   IIAC   0.737   0.565   0.608   22   C   11   14-5   0-0   14-5      
WE   5   St. ThomasMIAC0.778   0.537   0.597   37   A   wC   14-4   0-0   14-4      
WE   6   St. Olaf   MIAC0.471   0.607   0.573   64   C   41   8-9   0-0   8-9      
WE   7   Neb. Wes   IIAC   0.765   0.506   0.571   69   C   45   13-4   0-0   13-5      
WE   8   Central   IIAC   0.579   0.568   0.570   70   C   46   11-8   0-0   11-8      
we   9   Wartburg   IIAC   0.611   0.552   0.567   76   C   51   11-7   0-0   13-7      
we   10   Buena V   IIAC   0.632   0.543   0.565   78   A      12-7   0-0   12-7

I would say that they are quite higher than they deserve (below .500 WP at the time), in large part to the non-conf schedule I referenced earlier. St. John's was 12, Bethel 14 and Carleton 15, for reference. I understand that these games will get diluted out with the continuation of conference play and they are already out of consideration for a Pool C team, just a talking point I had.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's just where that combined number is right now. 6-10 are within .01 of each other.  I wonder if Matt ever worked up a margin for error on these things, in terms of selection.  Because his RPI number isn't actually used or calculated by the NCAA, there's got to be some span in there that is virtually identical for selection purposes.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

PurpleReign

Tommies having an easy time with Bethel and up 24 at this point.  UST look very smooth on offense where as Bethel offense looks like a sloppy backyard pickup game.  Both teams with similar size, but UST up 31-17 in rebounds.  Looks like UST his hit it's stride and will have the inside track to the MIAC regular season title.

Smitty Oom

UST defense from the opposing team inbounds pass to completing the possession with the rebound is second to none each year. Very impressive win for UST and Tauer.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Random thoughts.....the road to the MIAC title is paved purple.   In essence UST now has a 2 game lead over BU & USJ-- 1 game in standings plus holding tiebreaker over both. That makes Saturday's Johnnie @ Royal a HUGE game for both. The loser is essentially eliminated from first place contention and needs to work hold on to 3rd place... watch out for the fast-charging Knights. Guy Kalland is arguably the best coach in the MIAC, year after year. He doesn't get a 15 man roster- most years he has 10-12 guys- but every year he finds a way to get the most out of each and every player. The Auggies continue to be mystery to me...so much talent, good coaching...and belly-flopping their way out of the playoffs unless they right ship fast. (Aside to DPalmer....Burich with 29 boards vs Weiss & Magnusson in 2 games, and he walked all over them both,...how do you explain THAT?)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

Quote from: miacmaniac on January 31, 2017, 12:55:12 AM
Random thoughts.....the road to the MIAC title is paved purple.   In essence UST now has a 2 game lead over BU & USJ-- 1 game in standings plus holding tiebreaker over both. That makes Saturday's Johnnie @ Royal a HUGE game for both. The loser is essentially eliminated from first place contention and needs to work hold on to 3rd place... watch out for the fast-charging Knights. Guy Kalland is arguably the best coach in the MIAC, year after year. He doesn't get a 15 man roster- most years he has 10-12 guys- but every year he finds a way to get the most out of each and every player. The Auggies continue to be mystery to me...so much talent, good coaching...and belly-flopping their way out of the playoffs unless they right ship fast. (Aside to DPalmer....Burich with 29 boards vs Weiss & Magnusson in 2 games, and he walked all over them both,...how do you explain THAT?)

I will answer your last question for Drake by talking about Magnusson... he is not as good as he is hyped up to be IMO. He missed a lot of bunnies tonight and really doesn't fit the offense all that well. Granger Kingland and Tim Hanson are a better post combo for their O. Burich lacks offense but brings good size on the glass and D to warrant him a key piece of the UST team.

Auggies also puzzle me. They have played so great and so poorly this year, the most Jeckyll and Hyde team this year no doubt. They play the Cobbs in a huge game Wed for playoffs, if the dawgs loe they can kiss their season good bye in my estimation.

I also love Guy Kalland and his well coached teams, always hard nosed and feisty. A lot of respect for him and the program he has built. He recently won his 450th game as well so congrats!

SJU vs. BU game will be a great one and the winner will have the inside track to that coveted second bye, especially if SJU gets the season sweep Sat.

A lot more MIAC madness still to come this week!

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 31, 2017, 01:19:10 AM
Quote from: miacmaniac on January 31, 2017, 12:55:12 AM

I will answer your last question for Drake by talking about Magnusson... he is not as good as he is hyped up to be IMO. He missed a lot of bunnies tonight and really doesn't fit the offense all that well. Granger Kingland and Tim Hanson are a better post combo for their O. Burich lacks offense but brings good size on the glass and D to warrant him a key piece of the UST team.

I also love Guy Kalland and his well coached teams, always hard nosed and feisty. A lot of respect for him and the program he has built. He recently won his 450th game as well so congrats!

SJU vs. BU game will be a great one and the winner will have the inside track to that coveted second bye, especially if SJU gets the season sweep Sat.

I actually like Magnusson on offense - last night was an off night for him, as he's generally pretty solid on that end of the court.  Defensively, I've been unimpressed with him, both last year and this year.  I think it's a combination of him not quite having the quickness to be a good defender, along with a lack of tenacity on that end of the court, which lead me to also preferring Kingland on defense, even though he's only 6'3, he plays bigger, a lot like Kyle Zimmerman a couple of years back.

Expected the loss for BU last night, but figured it would be more like a 10 point game or so - within reach, but not quite a "close" one.  Interested to see how they respond...in general, they've come back nicely after their losses (soundly defeated Augsburg after losing to UST the first time, pounded Hamline after losing to the cobbers - the loss the cobbers after the loss to SJU was their only time not bouncing back this year).  Carleton is always a tough game it seems.  As you noted, Kalland always seems to get the most out of his guys.  I feel like Tauer successfully directs the talent that UST attracts, but Kalland manages to get a ton out of guys at a school where athletics play second fiddle.

UST looked a lot like they did last time against BU...super solid, steady, consistently smart basketball...grinding away on offense until they get a good shot, and tough as always on defense.  Bethel played better the first time around for sure, and didn't show up well last night leading to the larger gap.  Hoping for a third shot in the playoffs.

Lastly - man, Grant Shaeffer takes the short shorts trend seriously.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 31, 2017, 10:27:36 AM
Lastly - man, Grant Shaeffer takes the short shorts trend seriously.

At this point, the only things you can expect from the MIAC is Shaeffer rolling his shorts at least three times and Granger Kingland looking like a goon with that sweatband he wears.