WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MVP

Not a huge surprise. Amazing that Amherst held on this long till a loss. Williams is a very good team, playing very well. Makes it a 3 party race. Be nice to see the tourney in a different venue.

Will be watching closely. Match-ups very interesting.

Maine 1

Assuming a three-way tie for first, the winner of the tiebreaker will have a huge advantage in the NESCAC tournament. First, they will have the home court advantage.  That alone is a huge.  Secondly, although anything can happen in one game, Amherst, Williams, and Tufts are so much better than the rest of the league, that the one seed will have a very easy road to the final.  The Amherst team did not seem to show up yesterday, and Williams was ready, and this time it appeared they found Belcher early and often.  Who ever gets that numbe one seed will be well on their way to the league championship.  However, all three teams should be NCAA teams.

nescac1

Congrats to the Ephs on the long-overdue win vs. Gromacki!   Very emotional scene in Billsville.  The current senior class is a great one for the Ephs and will be deeply missed.  Baecher seemed limited coming back from the injury early in the season, but now seems to be finding her groove again at the right time.  There have been a few times during the long Amherst run that Williams seemed to have an advantage, only to let things slip from their fingers down the stretch.  In the last few years, however, Amherst has simply been much better (until last year, when with Baecher, the teams were pretty even, but not without her).  This Williams team, while susceptible to slip-ups, at its best can play with anyone and it showed that with a tremendous senior day performance.  Hopefully the Ephs can keep the momentum from this win going and play with the same precision and focus the rest of the year.  If they do, they have a good shot at a NESCAC title, but of course, as noted whoever gets home-court advantage will have a big edge. 

amh63

Agree with nescac1 that the atmosphere in Willytown was great for the game.  The write up on the Amherst website pointed out, as the game announcer did, that the senior class had never beaten Amherst.  Williams team had more energy than Amherst and the defense stopped Amherst...holding the Jeff's to only 18 points at the half.    Glad that Amherst played the Ephs even in the second half.  Coach G. had all his FY players in at the end..to get the Feeling of a game in Chandler....even before the Williams coach put her last senior player in to taste the victory over Amherst.
Great game by Williams.   Expect Amherst will be focused on Midd ahead.

sumfun

So if Williams, Amherst, and Tufts win tonight, is there a tie breaking formula for the NESCAC?  Head to head?  Out of conference?  No matter outcome of tournament and who hosts, I do believe all 3 teams will make NCAA.

7express

All 3 would be 1-1 against each other, 9-0 against the rest of the conference so I think they go to a coin flip.  Whether that flip decides all 3 teams or just the first team I'm not sure.

NH NESCAC Fan

Believe it or not, I think they put the three teams in a hat and pull them out.  The order they come out equals the order they are seeded.

amh63

Amherst closes out the regular season with a win in VT...65 to45.  Jasmine Hardy had a double-double  and all the starters contributed on the boards and in scoring.
Williams also won so the drawing for the seeds should commence soon....game in LeFrak on Sat.

Maine 1

NESCAC regular season is now over-three teams at 9-1, 6 teams at 4-6.  I believe as the previous poster said, the first second and third seeds will be based on random draw.  The other 6 teams will go through tiebreaker for 4-8, and one of the 4-6 teams will be left out.  I see very litte chance for an upset, so as I posted previously, who ever draws the one seed has a very easy route to the finals, while the other two 9-1 teams will have to play in the semis.

The six teams at 4-6 is a statement of the general level of play in the league this year--fall below the standards of previous years.  This is not a strong league after the top three this year.

Very disappointing season for Colby--they have fallen back to the bottom of the league--they seem to play almost exclusively for the three point shot--not a great strategy. 

7express

NH NESCAC Fan was right the names were drawn out of a hat.

Tufts drew #1, Amherst #2, Williams #3.  Tufts has a big advantage.  I'm going with Williams vs. Tufts in the championship game I don't think Amherst can beat Williams on a neutral court.

NH NESCAC Fan

As my old basketball coach used to tell me whenever I made a shot...even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Don't count Amherst out...they are the only one of the three teams to have beaten the other two, unless I am mistaken.

Maine 1

In terms of the first round draw, I believe that Tufts has the toughest first round game of any of the top three teams.   The 4-6 is not a strong group, but I think Bowdoin is the best of that group.  Amherst/Williams at a neutral site would be a fun game to see.

toad22

Williams is easily the best team in the NESCAC now. Claire Bacher has finally recovered from her ACL injury last year. They will roll in this tournement. Williams is just better this year.

NH NESCAC Fan

Oh good.  Glad that's decided.

NH NESCAC Fan

Down goes Frazier!  Down goes Frazier. 

Bowdoin pulls the huge upset over Tufts.  Potentially giving Amherst an edge as they now get to host...I think.