NESCAC volleyball

Started by WLCALUM83, September 18, 2009, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

Welcome to the NCAA Tournament, Bowdoin!

Bears take Middlebury 3-0.

WLCALUM83

NESCAC final:

#22 ranked Bowdoin over Colby (3-1).

maineman

Middlebury gets the AQ to the NCAA by virtue of its win over Conn College.  Will any other NESCAC team get an at large?

OshDude

Quote from: maineman on November 04, 2012, 09:47:08 PM
Middlebury gets the AQ to the NCAA by virtue of its win over Conn College.  Will any other NESCAC team get an at large?
I think so. My projection is that the NESCAC gets two Pool C bids.

amh63

Maybe I will start some discussion on this  board :).   Enjoy watching the college game.....especially played by the Penn State ladies.   On the Nescac level, Amherst is competitive, I believe.
Last season, I had an interesting discussion with the Amherst coach as to why there are so many players from CA.  In Div.1 football....coaches flock to Florida for talent.  Seems that California...volleyball is big!...and is the place to recruit.
Anyway,  Amherst brings in a bunch of players from CA.  Seems that three are 6' !   Maybe Amherst is hoping to make noise this season.  Hope so.

WLCALUM83

Noticed that Williams was in the 2014 Pre-Season Poll ARV category:

Went back to the period of 2011-13 and found 3 different NESCAC squads got the NCAA AQ during that time.

P'bearfan

Not sure what is going on at Bowdoin but their 2014 roster only lists 8 players - 6 sophomores and 2 juniors.  There are 0 seniors on the team.  I can't remember last year's roster but I have to believe there were at least a few juniors on last year's squad.

Also, the Bowdoin athletics department released a video of the first day of v-ball practice - I counted only 6 players.  The HVBC expects 7 freshman to join the squad after orientation. 

This has all the markings of a rebuilding year in Brunswick.

WLCALUM83

Hamilton is the only NESCAC squad to open play tonight. However, this coming weekend, Tufts has a great opportunity to make a statement, at Colorado College in a meet with several in-top-25 or ARV squads.

WLCALUM83

Heard Amherst gave ARV Springfield all it could handle last night-- the NESCAC squad lost in 5 (with 3 of those sets going to extra points)

P'bearfan

Bowdoin won its first 2 matches against Plymouth State and Roger Williams without dropping a game.  That's a pretty good start to the season especially for such a young team.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on September 02, 2014, 05:23:16 PM
This coming weekend, Tufts has a great opportunity to make a statement, at Colorado College in a meet with several in-top-25 or ARV squads.

Colorado College meet results:

Host squad:  (3-0)
Clarkson       (2-1)
Tufts             (1-2)
E TX Baptist   (0-3)

P'bearfan

Bowdoin will play in a tournament at Emory this weekend.  I'm going to try to catch the 4:30 pm game Saturday against Emory.  Go P'Bears!

P'bearfan

I was able to watch the first few games of Bowdoin v Emory match yesterday.  Emory won 3-1 and it was clear why the Eagles are ranked #4 in nation.  They made very few mistakes.

Overall Bowdoin played well especially given how young they are.   During the first game the P'bears fell behind early but kept fighting and made a few runs at Emory but could never get closer than 3 points.  In the second game, Emory built a commanding lead and Bowdoin showed their youth with several unforced errors and clear mis-communications.  In the third game, Bowdoin started out much stronger and simply outplayed Emory.  The P'bears looked much more confident and played very well.  This game showed what the team is capable of.  The 4th game started with the score going back and forth.  Bowdoin hung tough with Emory before falling 22-25.

This tournament was a big success for Bowdoin and given how early it is in the season the team could be poised for more success this season.

WLCALUM83

I know it's still relatively early in the season yet, but noticed Hamilton has already won twice the number of matches (10) as it did all of 2013 (5).

amh63

Watching volleyball in the CAC is stressful for me.  Amherst also has a young squad overall.  Amherst battled the conference leader..Williams..to five games at home...with the 5th game going to 15-13.
The difference imo was the more experienced upperclass players on the EPHS. 
Watched the Hamilton match for a time...still stressful.  Score shows a 3-0 sweep, but it was not an easy win for Amherst.