FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

The Methodist -v- Huntingdon game that year was one of those games that the Hawks lost while putting up big offense.  There was a combined 1,144 yards of offense, 93 total points, 0 turnovers, only 6 negative yardage plays, and 152 total offensive/defensive plays.  The Monarchs converted more third and fourth downs.  That combined with a little better starting field position were the keys.  Also the Methodist QB throwing for 300 and running for 100 didn't hurt the cause

Wild Horse Rider

And if you were ever looking for a game in the USAC where I believe defense was optional look no further than the Monarchs final game of 2013 vs the Battling Bishops.

68 total first downs
178 offensive/defensive snaps
1,315 total offensive yards
131 total points (18 TDs and 2 FGs)
6 punts (3 by each team)
2 turnovers (1 by each team)

NCWC had 2 QB's play one threw for 190 and the other threw for 260
Methodist's starting QB was lost for the game early in the second period.  This was after leading the Monarch on 4 scoring drives in the first 4 possessions.
The backup came in and threw for 300 yards and 4 TDs.  The Monarchs backup QB was NCWC starting QB as a freshman in 2010 and was the offensive ROY that season in the conference.  Methodist was down 61-62 and scored with 23 seconds left on the clock and added the 2 point conversion to seal the 7 point win.

Hawks88

I just saw a tweet that Averett is moving it's non-conf game with CNU back two weeks to 9/26. I guess the ODAC announcement last week wipes out all the week one games so this would get rid of their bye week and give them 9 games in 9 weeks. I wonder if Huntingdon and Birmingham-Southern does the same with their game since I don't think HC's other two non-conf games are happening, Guilford week one and UW-Oshkosh week three(I'm assuming they aren't getting on a plane), and both have that date open. That would give HC 8 games in 8 weeks. BSC still has the week one with LaGrange so they may not be into it unless they are willing to move their bye from week 4 to week 2. Either way hopefully HC can find a replacement for one of those games.
This all assumes we do actually have a season but does that tweet make it seem like the USA South is still planning to play at this point?

Hawks88

Hawks88

USA South plans to split all fall sports into divisions including football which will play home-and-home within divisions with a conference championship at the end. The article also mentions possible neutral site venues to avoid overnight travel. Non-conference will also be allowed so unless the SAA does something different we should still be able to play Birmingham-Southern.

https://www.huntingdonhawks.com/general/2020-21/releases/20200714k9zx3k

Go Hawkls!

Hawks88

I assume football will be split into Brevard, Huntingdon, LaGrange, and Maryville in the west and Averett, Greensboro, Methodist, and NC Wesleyan in the east.

Hawks88

This is the updated schedule that Huntingdon currently has posted(it actually still has the Guilford and Oshkosh games listed but that maybe because neither of those has updated their schedules). The other 'West' teams have updated theirs with the 6 conference games running from 9/19 to 10/24 but none of the 'East' teams have done theirs. I assume this gives the option to shift some games to later if they end up having to be delayed.

9/12   vs. Birmingham-Southern •   7:00 PM   
9/19   vs. LaGrange * •               TBA   
9/26   at Maryville (Tenn.) * •   2:00 PM   
10/3   at Brevard * •              TBA   
10/10   vs. Maryville (Tenn.) * •   2:00 PM   
10/17   at LaGrange * •            TBA   
10/24   vs. Brevard * •             TBA

Wild Horse Rider

If the season is played this way I believe the West division is considerably harder.  The tie break will be interesting since it will be possible for 2 (5-1) division winners who lost head to head.  The easiest tie break in that case might be margin of victory.  I wonder if they will play the conference championship at a central location?  I believe Brevard may make the most sense.

scottiedoug

Maryville has cancelled fall football. Uneasy about USASouth's decision to have a season and about whether it can be done wisely and safely.

Hawks88

I'm just hoping for a spring season at this point, if the schools are able to handle it logistically.

jknezek

USA South officially throws in the towel on the Fall.

https://www.usasouth.net/general/2019-20/releases/20200721h1jgh9

Like many conferences, they are holding out hope for something in the Spring. Personally I think that is all smoke and mirrors other than extra practices and maybe a scrimmage or two, but who knows?

Hawks88

We'll have to wait and see what fall and winter brings and whether we'll be able to have any sports at all in the spring. Unless you can work out a way to have a full conference season and 1 or 2 non-conference games to get to at least 8 or 9 games total then I would likely be for keeping to 5 or less to save eligibility. If that's where it ends up I could see us maybe having games against BSC and LaGrange and maybe meet Berry halfway at Heard Co., GA like we normally do for the pre-season scrimmage. Maybe a JV game against 1 or 2 of those to make sure younger guys get some game action too.

I assume you've seen that the AHSAA and AISA are trying to go ahead with football as scheduled. I just noticed that so far three county school systems have cancelled football; Greene County, Sumter County, and Barbour County. Barbour County is actually cancelling all sports for the year already. So the dominoes are starting to fall in the high schools too. I'm not optimistic that they're going to be able to pull off a season either.

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on July 29, 2020, 11:20:19 AM
We'll have to wait and see what fall and winter brings and whether we'll be able to have any sports at all in the spring. Unless you can work out a way to have a full conference season and 1 or 2 non-conference games to get to at least 8 or 9 games total then I would likely be for keeping to 5 or less to save eligibility. If that's where it ends up I could see us maybe having games against BSC and LaGrange and maybe meet Berry halfway at Heard Co., GA like we normally do for the pre-season scrimmage. Maybe a JV game against 1 or 2 of those to make sure younger guys get some game action too.

I assume you've seen that the AHSAA and AISA are trying to go ahead with football as scheduled. I just noticed that so far three county school systems have cancelled football; Greene County, Sumter County, and Barbour County. Barbour County is actually cancelling all sports for the year already. So the dominoes are starting to fall in the high schools too. I'm not optimistic that they're going to be able to pull off a season either.

Yeah. I'll be surprised. But the head of the AHSAA has some political ambition and he knows cancelling football would probably put paid to that. So I suspect it will be a district by district decision.

Hawks88

Just noticed that Huntingdon has updated the roster. 131 total with 64 freshmen. I only count 9 seniors with some key names missing. I wonder how many are taking a gap year/semester.
Sure wishing I was getting ready to drive up to Greensboro next week.

Scots13

Long time, no post. But here's some news: Shaun Hayes resigned today. New president seems to be pro-athletics. Hopefully we get someone good.

On a related note, our volleyball coach/AD will become just a volleyball coach effective Nov 30. Hiring a full time AD. Thank. God.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!