Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Are there schools or programs in jeopardy of being dropped because of finances or numbers?

Marnataha's struggles in football have me thinking about this? I know some colleges are struggling with finances.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: smedindy on November 16, 2014, 03:15:17 PM
Are there schools or programs in jeopardy of being dropped because of finances or numbers?

Marnataha's struggles in football have me thinking about this? I know some colleges are struggling with finances.

I think Maranatha's struggles this year has to do with a late hiring of a head coach thus having very little time to go out and get players for the team. They haven't had big rosters from watching them play against the NACC and other teams. Unfortunately, there isn't that many fellow NCCAA schools out there that sponsor football for them to play against.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Bishopleftiesdad

I know their were several programs recently (2013) started programs. Actually some schools look at it as a money maker. It brings young men to their campus that may have otherwise not matriculated there.

Tekken

Quote from: smedindy on November 16, 2014, 03:15:17 PM

I'd heard Centenary was in dire straits last Spring regarding enrollment figures.  At one point I believe they were even offering free housing to attract students.  My source isn't the most reliable, but brought it up in a venue where there was no reason to exaggerate about it.

smedindy

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on November 18, 2014, 02:11:49 PM
I know their were several programs recently (2013) started programs. Actually some schools look at it as a money maker. It brings young men to their campus that may have otherwise not matriculated there.

Right, but sports are a budget cruncher and I know some tuition-dependent schools are struggling to make the balance sheet sing.

Gray Fox

This looks like a good place for this.  Banana Slugs approve increase in fees for sports.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29942412/63-percent-uc-santa-cruz-students-vote-favor

Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 27, 2016, 10:15:35 PM
This looks like a good place for this.  Banana Slugs approve increase in fees for sports.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29942412/63-percent-uc-santa-cruz-students-vote-favor
The increase in student fees is not 180%.

It is 18 times as much, from $15/year to $270/year.  That is an 1800% increase.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 29, 2016, 03:10:51 AM

Maybe the slugs are not so good at math.
Fierce When Roused

Knightstalker

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 29, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 29, 2016, 03:10:51 AM

Maybe the slugs are not so good at math.

They are slugs.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

At least they voted to keep athletics as part of the institution. I applaud that. I was worried that vote could go the other way and athletics would have been scuttled after this upcoming academic year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Finlandia and UMPI are announced as affiliates of the CUNYAC. The CUNYAC has 5 baseball full members. Perhaps the CUNYAC will get a Pool A bid for the 2020 season, if not sooner.

http://www.fulions.com/news/2017/3/20/finlandia-baseball-joins-the-cuny-athletic-conference.aspx?path=baseball

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 08, 2017, 08:28:58 PM
Finlandia and UMPI are announced as affiliates of the CUNYAC. The CUNYAC has 5 baseball full members. Perhaps the CUNYAC will get a Pool A bid for the 2020 season, if not sooner.

http://www.fulions.com/news/2017/3/20/finlandia-baseball-joins-the-cuny-athletic-conference.aspx?path=baseball

There's an entire late-night-talk-show comedy monologue in there just waiting to get out.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 09, 2017, 12:39:19 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 08, 2017, 08:28:58 PM

There's an entire late-night-talk-show comedy monologue in there just waiting to get out.

I guess the new ACAA isn't going to sponsor baseball.  I think I heard somewhere SUNY-Canton was trying to be an E8 affiliate for baseball.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Just Bill

So Finlandia, at various times and in various sports, has now been a member of the NCHA (hockey) the WIAC (men's soccer), the Great South (women's soccer & women's basketball) and the CUNYAC (baseball). Any others I have missed?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Just Bill on April 11, 2017, 10:14:41 AM
So Finlandia, at various times and in various sports, has now been a member of the NCHA (hockey) the WIAC (men's soccer), the Great South (women's soccer & women's basketball) and the CUNYAC (baseball). Any others I have missed?

That arrangement did not make any sense since they have the UMAC right next door to them. How did that athletic program keep up with all the travel costs associated with that mélange of conference moves is the bigger question.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions