FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schipper Strong

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 08, 2019, 12:56:18 AM
I was at Central for that quarterfinal game against Bethel in 2007.

I don't know that my feet have ever been so cold. At least Central had their backs to the ice storm  :-\

Schipper Strong

Oh, I remember that feeling. I felt like my feet were going to fall off after that one. They were freezing!

Old Dutch

Just getting to that game was brutal,  I drove about 25 miles of gravel roads because they were safer than the hard surface.  The game wasn't much better as Bethel's strong running game had a distinct advantage
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

Schipper Strong

Last night I had a very brief encounter in a hospital with a brave young woman who was in tremendous pain and terrified of what might lie ahead for her due to an injury from an accident. I hope those of you who might be so inclined will join me in sending up prayers for healing for this young woman. It really made me feel blessed that for this brief period of time in my life I have nothing more to worry about than the outcome of a game and how insignificant that is in the grand scheme of things.

DBQ1965

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 09, 2019, 09:01:22 AM
Last night I had a very brief encounter in a hospital with a brave young woman who was in tremendous pain and terrified of what might lie ahead for her due to an injury from an accident. I hope those of you who might be so inclined will join me in sending up prayers for healing for this young woman. It really made me feel blessed that for this brief period of time in my life I have nothing more to worry about than the outcome of a game and how insignificant that is in the grand scheme of things.

Plus Karma.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

hazzben

Quote from: Old Dutch on November 09, 2019, 12:53:36 AM

Just getting to that game was brutal,  I drove about 25 miles of gravel roads because they were safer than the hard surface.  The game wasn't much better as Bethel's strong running game had a distinct advantage

I was really happy they made the call to stay another night in Pella. At best that would have been an 8-10 hour ride back with the ice. A warm hotel with loads of pizza ranch never looked so good!

Pat Coleman

Yep. It took about that long to drive back. I didn't have the option to stay as I had a morning flight back to D.C.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

doolittledog

Halftime scores...

NWU 21-14 Luther
Loras 21-20 Simpson
Central 42-14 Wartburg  WTF?!?!
Dubuque 13-12 BVU
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

hazzben

Whoa!!!! 49-49 Central Wartburg headed to OT. Did not expect to see that after the halftime score  :o

doolittledog

Final scores...

Luther 35-34 NWU
Loras 38-20 Simpson
Dubuque 26-12 BVU
Central 57-56 Wartburg OT ...WOW!!!
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

hazzben

What a finish. Gutsy play call to go for two. Nicely designed play, Wart defended it pretty well, but it wasn't quite enough. Great game!!

Schipper Strong

Wartburg did what they did all season in staging a huge comeback. I know the WB faithful are hurting tonight as I am sure they felt they would win given the huge momentum shift. An incredible game to watch and one that both teams felt they had won at different points in the game. I give Wartburg credit for staying on the field for their post game meeting. It could not have been easy with Central celebrating.

More later, my pizza just arrived.

Schipper Strong

And now for the rest of the story. Would you believe I almost slept through today's game? I had a 12 hour shift in the ER last night. I went to bed about 9:15 this morning with my phone alarm set, but was too tired to remember the ringer was silenced. Thank goodness I woke up at 12:20 with the vibrations!

I came down too hard on the Dutch coaching staff after the UD game and so it is only right that I give them well deserved credit for having Central ready to play today and with some new plays that put Wartburg in a nice big hole early. Better coaching today goes to the Dutch. I am not dismissing the Wartburg comeback, but that was Wartburg doing what the have done all season. Who would have ever dreamed Central would built the lead they did?

Congratulations to Blaine Hawkins on breaking the career passing record today and further padding his career passing touchdowns record. Blaine extended plays with his legs and arm today and played a great game against the number one defense in the conference. Not the normal efficiency but I had full confidence he would do what it took.

Another outstanding day for Jon Alberts! We needed every one of those extra points and kudos to the coaches and players to give up the sure point with Alberts to get the win when momentum was not in our favor.

Finally the biggest congratulations of all to the outstanding defense today. Yes Wartburg came back as they always do, but time and again the Dutch came up huge against the number one offense in the conference. Goal line stand in the 4th quarter, pass interception in the end zone, numerous stops on 4th down plays. This Central fan could not be prouder.

I posted before that Wartburg would score against our defense and that I believed in the end we would score more. It took OT to do it, thanks for making me look more knowledgeable than I am about a game I have never played.

coocooforcoekohawk

Impressive win over the burger burglars for the Dutch. Congrats!!!

Go Kohawks next weekend

Good luck to Loras next weekend too!!!  :o

Anyone want to figure out what happens if Coe, Loras, and Dubuque win next weekend?

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head.  I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you!