FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DagarmanSpartan

Gang,

Lindy's College Football Preview magazine has W&J ranked #20 in its pre-season Division III Top 25.

Case Western Reserve is ranked #24, with the following statement:

"Sophomore QB Drew Saxton (34 TDs, 3033 yards) and junior WR Colt Morgan give Spartans spark."

Bob.Gregg

Longtime official Eugene Steratore, Sr. passes

This is the father of former NFL Referee and current CBS Rules expert Gene Steratore.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/observer-reporter/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-steratore&pid=193159398
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

E.115

A little blurb and some player shout outs on the upcoming season:

CWRU Football Ranked 24th in Lindy's D3 Preview

https://athletics.case.edu/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20190626fj1rjx

ADL70

I'd give more credence to Street & Smith's whose preview was written by Keith McMillan.  It has W&J #22 CWRU not ranked in top 25.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

mikefln

So with a slow week at work I decided to hit the internet.  Decided to look up college football rivalries see what pops up and what I generally look forward to every year.  Army/Navy is number 1 in my book with .  Anyways on wikipedia for D3 they list 3 PAC games.  So what do you think, did they miss any?  Are one of these bigger than the others?  How big do these schools take these rivalries? 

Academic Bowl    Carnegie Mellon    vs Case Western Reserve
The Game       Westminster (PA) vs Geneva
Mercer County Cup    Grove City vs Thiel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games

DagarmanSpartan

CWRU takes the Academic Bowl more seriously than other football games, although school spirit and football support at CWRU have always been a bit luke warm.

WashJeff68

A few years ago the PAC started calling the last game of the season "Rivalry Saturday" and each matchup has a catchy name. W&J plays Waynesburg in the "Backyard Brawl."  A rivalry implies, at least to me, that the teams are also competitive on the field. W&J and Waynesburg have played 46 times and Waynesburg has won 4.

i wonder how competitive the other PAC rivalry games are?

Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

mikefln

Quote from: WashJeff68 on July 08, 2019, 03:59:45 PM
A few years ago the PAC started calling the last game of the season "Rivalry Saturday" and each matchup has a catchy name. W&J plays Waynesburg in the "Backyard Brawl."  A rivalry implies, at least to me, that the teams are also competitive on the field. W&J and Waynesburg have played 46 times and Waynesburg has won 4.

There are many things that cause a rivalry.  Proximity to each other is one of the bigger reasons. History of always playing each other  is another.  Same recruiting territory for both players and student body as a whole and that carries over to Alumni competing for jobs after school in the same area.  Another thing is grudge matches and fighting for the same stake like always competing for a conference title.  When talking about bigger schools like Ohio St vs Michigan it is one state wanting to be superior to its neighboring state which ties in with proximity but on a larger scale.  There are other things that make a rivalry but to me those are the main causes in my opinion. The more of those boxes you check the bigger the rivalry generally is.

So when talking Waynesburg and W&J they check a few of those boxes but not all.  They have proximity and history but I feel after that at best you can only partially check boxes.  Obviously they both try to attract the best football recruits and students, the problem is W&J attacks the better ones in higher numbers.  That leaves them dominating not just this "rivalry" on the field, but also the conference minus about a decade of Thomas Moore making it interesting, and a few other bumps in the road here and there.  In fact W&J domination of the PAC in football, I think is why the PAC may suffer from a lack of rivalries in football.  Just my opinion what the hell do I know.  I went to St Vincent before they even had a team.

I just love rivalries as I feel they are a nice spice to college football/athletics and sports in general.  I would like to know more about the local ones.

DagarmanSpartan

The CWRU v. CMU rivalry is unique in that it counts towards TWO different conference standings: PAC and UAA.

E.115

Academic Bowl has been pretty even in modern day and in its overall history:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Bowl_(college_football)

The games have tended to be pretty close no matter the teams' records, especially in the past few years. 

mikefln

Quote from: E.115 on July 10, 2019, 07:46:49 AM

Academic Bowl has been pretty even in modern day and in its overall history:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Bowl_(college_football)

The games have tended to be pretty close no matter the teams' records, especially in the past few years.

The Academic Bowl is exactly what a rivalry should look like.  While all PAC schools are fine institutions Case and CMU are different as they are more research based and they attract a different type of student / student/athlete.  So they are recruiting the same talent pole that is different then the rest of the PAC.  Both schools have history of playing against each other in a fairly evenly contested series.  Basically they check a lot of the boxes that I feel a good rivalry is made of.

WashJeff68

When the PAC was formed, Allegheny College was a charter member and W&J joined the next year. I don't think they ever played football before then, but from 1956 until Allegheny left to join the NCAC they played very year, and fairly often after Allegheny left the conference, including the famous O'T Playoff thriiler played in the snow in Meadville in 1987 (a 23-17 win for W&J). W&J leads the series 21-20-1.

W&J and Allegheny competed off the athletic field as well. Both have similar academic programs, facilities and admissions standards. I know that there was a signifigant overlap of applicants as well, particularly from Pittsburgh area schools. Obviously, they won some and W&J won some, but it was pretty even.

Lately, Allegheny football has fallen on some hard times, so they haven't scheduled W&J for their non conference game, and W&J likes to use their non conference game as an early season "test," so it's unlikely they will be playing any time soon.

There have also been alums of one school who were caoches/administrators at the other, including W&J's successful baseball coach and football defensive co-ordinator.

This seems to check most, if not all, the boxes to define a rivalry. Sorry it is over, at least for the forseeable future.

Welcome to Mikefin. Nice to see another school represented on the board!

wally_wabash

Quote from: WashJeff68 on July 10, 2019, 06:24:19 PM
Lately, Allegheny football has fallen on some hard times, so they haven't scheduled W&J for their non conference game, and W&J likes to use their non conference game as an early season "test," so it's unlikely they will be playing any time soon.

The last time that Allegheny vs. W&J would have been a good time probably would have been 2009/2010.  The Gators really cratered out in the next five years, including going 4-34 after a surprise OT win at Wabash in 2012.  That stretch included a pair of 0-10 seasons, and if you're going winless in the NCAC, you're not having a good time.  Particularly if you're a program that has a national championship trophy (Allegheny's title was pre-AQ, yes, but not exactly leather helmets era either).  The Gators have rebuilt steadily in the three years they had under BJ Hammer and won six league games last year (they had won just four in the previous five years), and we'll see if the new staff there can build on what BJ Hammer started. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

WashJeff68

BJ must be a glutton for punishment. Bowdoin has won one game in the last three years. Why leave Allegheny when it looks like things might be turning around to take on a challenge like this again?

The Mole

Quote from: WashJeff68 on July 11, 2019, 06:24:15 PM
BJ must be a glutton for punishment. Bowdoin has won one game in the last three years. Why leave Allegheny when it looks like things might be turning around to take on a challenge like this again?
If Hammer can turn around Bowdoin, he will certainly be on a fast track to an Ivy/Patriot League type gig. I think getting them to the middle of the pack would be a serious accomplishment. The Polar Bears are 44-126 since 1998 and they are the only NESCAC team to have a losing head to head record versus the rest of the league. Their last winning slate was in 2005 (6-2). If he can get them to a winning record, they  should have a parade in Brunswick. He has a great campus and academic school to sell, but are they committed is the question?
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED