WashU Men's Soccer

Started by Purplegatorade, December 18, 2016, 04:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Seems like this is starting to happen all over. I get that this stupid stuff has been going on for a long time, certainly when I was in college, but the world is changing and these guys need to wise up.

Flying Weasel

Shameful, inexcusable, and highly disappointing if true.

The allegation concerns an online document maintained in 2015, but the women's team only alerted the school administrators on Wednesday last week a whole year later.  I wonder why such a delay.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 18, 2016, 07:11:45 PM

The allegation concerns an online document maintained in 2015, but the women's team only alerted the school administrators on Wednesday last week a whole year later.  I wonder why such a delay.

Very good chance that while the document was online, they didn't know about it until recently. Also, it could have taken another turn especially after they won the championship. Or there was hope things would change and didn't. Heck, maybe they finally got the courage to say something - especially after winning the title. There are lots of reasons for delays in these types of things.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 18, 2016, 09:37:42 PM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 18, 2016, 07:11:45 PM

Very good chance that while the document was online, they didn't know about it until recently. Also, it could have taken another turn especially after they won the championship. Or there was hope things would change and didn't. Heck, maybe they finally got the courage to say something - especially after winning the title. There are lots of reasons for delays in these types of things.

First, Harvard, now Wash U....... Yes, they need to wise up. While not acceptable anywhere, it really is a stain on these highly reputable academic institutions.....More should be expected....

Purplegatorade

You can't forget the Columbia University wrestling team as well.

nescac1

And Amherst cross country ... and Princeton in swimming.  The sheer number of these being revealed in close proximity suggest, sadly, that this behavior has been widely prevelant, and now that a few have been exposed, we are seeing a cascade (the Cosby effect) of past incidents coming to light. 

jknezek

Quote from: nescac1 on December 19, 2016, 02:45:51 PM
And Amherst cross country ... and Princeton in swimming.  The sheer number of these being revealed in close proximity suggest, sadly, that this behavior has been widely prevelant, and now that a few have been exposed, we are seeing a cascade (the Cosby effect) of past incidents coming to light.

Of course it's widely spread. It's been around for decades in one degree or another. It's just that mores are changing and now it is, quite rightly, becoming no longer something considered funny, but something that is wrong. I would wager that this behavior goes, or at least went, on with most men's teams and fraternities to one degree or another. It certainly did when I was in h.s. and college, though the lewdness varied greatly. Now that it is being exposed, it will either slide deeper underground or, for those that are smarter, it will stop.

I don't expect this to be the last case, especially if they are going to hold past actions against future teams. Electronic documents simply don't go away. But I do expect that exposing the behavior will cause it to stop happening in the future, at least in a way that is so easy to discover.

nescac1

I hope you are right jknezek.  Sunlight is, after all, the best disinfectant.  Or at least it was ... when Trump can become President after engaging in the same types of behavior, it's kind of hard to with a straight face tell kids that this is wrong (even though it so clearly is).  But that is where we are as a culture right now ...

KICKIN95

It's Trump's fault eh? oh brother here we go  ::)
Master of all things "DuHawk"

PaulNewman

Let's give Trump 6-8 months and see if the world is as easy to solve as he suggests. Not optimistic.

nescac1

I didn't say that it was "Trump's fault."  He had nothing to do with this specific behavior.  The point is that when someone can be elected President of the United States after repeatedly engaging in similar, actually far more egregious, conduct towards women, it's kind of hard to convince kids going FORWARD that this kind of behavior is wrong, let alone that it won't be tolerated.  Because as a society, we've chosen to send a message that this type of behavior is perfectly normal / acceptable.  Degrading women, treating them as nothing more than sex objects, judging them entirely on their physical appearance, groping them without permission -- this is now normalized, accepted behavior.  We really should not express surprise when it continues to happen. 

blooter442

Quote from: nescac1 on December 20, 2016, 08:00:22 AM
I didn't say that it was "Trump's fault."  He had nothing to do with this specific behavior.  The point is that when someone can be elected President of the United States after repeatedly engaging in similar, actually far more egregious, conduct towards women, it's kind of hard to convince kids going FORWARD that this kind of behavior is wrong, let alone that it won't be tolerated.

Ding ding ding – we have a winner.

d3fan1

Are we talking about Bill Clinton here? ;D

jknezek

No. Though he wasn't much better. Which is sad that in over 20 years we still think it is ok to let disrespectful, womanizing, braggarts be President. Which comes back around to the whole it makes it harder to teach young men it is wrong to be a womanizing, disrespectful, jerk toward women. 20 years we should have seen some progress, but apparently not enough. Hopefully by the time my daughter is old enough to go to college enough voters will understand about common decency to stop rewarding these men. But I might be too optimistic about our fellow citizens.