Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: JT on November 04, 2011, 07:46:37 PM
Hey Keith,

I always dig your take from year-to-year on DIII seniors and the LAST game.  Great job.  I wasn't good enough for college ball, but every time I read your last game articles, I remember the last time I took off the pads.  I remember the smells.  I remember the sounds. I remember the young faces of teammates. I remember going out with a win.  And there's a shoe box with old receiver gloves that still fit.

Good times.

Appreciate it.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 04, 2011, 08:30:11 PM
Quote from: smedindy on November 04, 2011, 10:11:22 AM
North Central's work after Redlands is definitely in the Maggie Gyllenhaall category!

Maybe even Heather Graham.  ;)

Oh, you mean it's fine work.

I was trying to figure out which movie MG did first that bombed before she rebounded with a string of 8 good ones.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

PA_wesleyfan

Keith ; I wasn't sure where to put this but figured more would see it here.

This is about Wesley Coach Chip Knapp and his 16 yr olds cardiac arrest on their way to the Walsh/ Wesley game a few weeks ago

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20111106/SPORTS08/111106024/United-by-Nightmare?odyssey=tab 
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

K-Mack

So I've come to the conclusion that I could take a good crack at the playoff field knowing what we know now, since Hobart/Union, Kean/Montclair, the NEFC, Linfield/L&C and the other not-clinched league I'm drawing a blank about are geographically the same.

Before I do it, I wanted to ask anyone who's been reading the boards if it's been done already. I read the Pool C thread but I don't read the entire network of boards.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

USee

A little chatte on ncac board may be worth a gander

Pat Coleman

Quote from: K-Mack on November 08, 2011, 10:15:18 PM
So I've come to the conclusion that I could take a good crack at the playoff field knowing what we know now, since Hobart/Union, Kean/Montclair, the NEFC, Linfield/L&C and the other not-clinched league I'm drawing a blank about are geographically the same.

Before I do it, I wanted to ask anyone who's been reading the boards if it's been done already. I read the Pool C thread but I don't read the entire network of boards.

MAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 08, 2011, 10:19:55 PM

MAC.

Yeah, that's the league I was missing. Assume you meant that and not go read the MAC board.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

ExTartanPlayer

Keith, I took a really general glance on the NCAC board that looks something like this:

Texas/WestCoast bracket with UMHB as the top seed, Linfield as #2...
North-ish bracket with UWW as the top seed, UST as the #2....
"Midwest" bracket with UMU as the #1, Wabash, North Central....
"East" bracket with Del Val as the #1, Salisbury as the #2....
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

K-Mack

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 09, 2011, 09:36:07 AM

Keith, I took a really general glance on the NCAC board that looks something like this:

I started sketching it out last night but I'll save my final take for ATN on Thursday afternoon.

I have 7 East teams and 9 South but JHU, Wesley or Centre vs. Thomas More make for some easy flips to balance things out.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

smedindy

And of course chaos will reign on Saturday and you'll have to erase the whiteboard!

SUADC

Quote from: K-Mack on November 09, 2011, 08:51:53 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 09, 2011, 09:36:07 AM

I started sketching it out last night but I'll save my final take for ATN on Thursday afternoon.

I have 7 East teams and 9 South but JHU, Wesley or Centre vs. Thomas More make for some easy flips to balance things out.

I can digg it.

HSC85

The problem with Thomas More and Centre in the South Region is that they are more than 500 miles from JHU, and Wesley and Salisbury too for that matter.  Both are close to the teams in the North Region. 

I liked your idea of HSC possibly getting a home game.  Both Thomas More and Centre are within 500 miles of HSC.  CNU must go to Salisbury, Wesley or JHU for a bus ride.  As proven last year, HSC could be matched with teams in the Northeast as the Monclaire St game last year proved or it could go as far west as Ohio, as the RMC - Mount Union game demonstrated in 2008.

K-Mack

Quote from: HSC85 on November 10, 2011, 05:37:51 PM
The problem with Thomas More and Centre in the South Region is that they are more than 500 miles from JHU, and Wesley and Salisbury too for that matter.  Both are close to the teams in the North Region. 

I liked your idea of HSC possibly getting a home game.  Both Thomas More and Centre are within 500 miles of HSC.  CNU must go to Salisbury, Wesley or JHU for a bus ride.  As proven last year, HSC could be matched with teams in the Northeast as the Monclaire St game last year proved or it could go as far west as Ohio, as the RMC - Mount Union game demonstrated in 2008.

True.

Hampden-Sydney to Centre is under 500 miles. Thomas More I thought was within 500 of Baltimore but its close. I did make a lot of that up just to be different, but I checked some of the ideas first!

Point I was trying to make is that if necessary, they could shift certain teams out of their home regions, which seems to be roughly what you're saying.

It rarely happens where they think way outside the box, but occasionally they surprise us.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

smedindy

It's always a balancing act. Does the committee try to balance the brackets and / or balance the travel?

If they don't balance the brackets, then it's theoretically possible that the fifth or sixth best team in the country has a road trip in the second round.

But then, if they do try to balance the brackets to avoid a west log-jam then the top-ranked and unbeaten team in one whole region doesn't get recognized as such even though their SOS is better than the established powers.

As I see it, it's a tournament. You gotta win 'em all to move on - whether it's the first round or the Stagg Bowl. If you grouse about your seeding or your location, then you're halfway to a loss anyway. Just take out the frustration on the field.