MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calvin_grad and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

KnightSlappy

I would not be shocked to find out he has not reffed an MIAA game this decade. It's been a long time since I've seen him on a court.

wiz

Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 02, 2019, 09:24:14 PM
I would not be shocked to find out he has not reffed an MIAA game this decade. It's been a long time since I've seen him on a court.
That's a good thing.  Sounds like he made a lasting impression.

HOPEful

Quote from: sac on August 31, 2019, 12:39:54 PM
I don't think Geerlings has done many, if any, D3 games in the last couple years at least.

Favorite - Kevin Kooiker
Least Favorite - Arnulfo Perez
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

KnightSlappy

Quote from: wiz on September 02, 2019, 09:41:39 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 02, 2019, 09:24:14 PM
That’s a good thing.  Sounds like he made a lasting impression.

Looks like maybe he last reffed a Calvin game in 2011, I found a box score from a Calvin-Adrian contest. I didn't do a full search though.

Jameswys

Quote from: HOPEful on September 03, 2019, 06:12:15 AM
Quote from: sac on August 31, 2019, 12:39:54 PM
I don't think Geerlings has done many, if any, D3 games in the last couple years at least.

Favorite - Kevin Kooiker
Least Favorite - Arnulfo Perez
I'd bet Perez is a lot of people's least favorite. He the only ref I know by name, and there is a reason for that.
Olivet '05

Flying Dutch Fan

Not sure if Perez is  necessarily my least favorite, but I believe he is by far the worst referee in the league.  Only thing positive I can say about him is that he is an equal opportunity guy when it comes to making a bad call against one team or the other.  I've actually seen a roll of the eyes or smirks on the other officials faces after some of his calls.  He was out of the league for a few years (I believe due to his performance) but recently has been back again. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

wiz

Jameswys

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on September 03, 2019, 03:27:42 PM
Not sure if Perez is  necessarily my least favorite, but I believe he is by far the worst referee in the league.  Only thing positive I can say about him is that he is an equal opportunity guy when it comes to making a bad call against one team or the other.  I've actually seen a roll of the eyes or smirks on the other officials faces after some of his calls.  He was out of the league for a few years (I believe due to his performance) but recently has been back again.

Spot on!
Olivet '05

KnightSlappy

Calvin has added(?) two exhibition games to their schedule.

Tuesday October 22 at Ferris State
Saturday November 2 at Northwood

ziggy

Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 06, 2019, 04:18:04 PM
Calvin has added(?) two exhibition games to their schedule.

Tuesday October 22 at Ferris State
Saturday November 2 at Northwood

Not surprising to see the exhibition with Ferris revived.

maroonandgold

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on August 21, 2019, 03:13:50 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on August 21, 2019, 11:35:53 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on August 14, 2019, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: calvin_grad on August 14, 2019, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Dark Knight on August 14, 2019, 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: pointlem on August 10, 2019, 11:35:33 PM
Quote from: Jameswys on August 10, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
I heard a rumor that Olivet has a freshman on campus who's 6'10 and goes by Sage. I don't have any other information on him yet.
Looks like a highly rated 6' 10" named Sage has enrolled at Calvin (which seems to corner the market on big post players)?
https://www.facebook.com/sage.walker.188
https://bankhoops.com/class-of-2019-top-25-college-prospects-by-position/

How is it that Sage Walker is on Bank Hoops' list of top 30 prospects for 2019 but not on any of the all-state teams?
Maybe he was injured during his senior year??  He was Class B All-State honorable mention after his junior year, but it looks like he maybe only played in 6 games his senior year.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sage-walker/5gNg3KtHEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/basketball/stats.htm

It looks like he played a couple years at Corunna and then played his senior year at Ithaca? Maybe there was a transfer that required him to sit out for a while. This article implies he was ineligible to start the season https://bankhoops.com/the-12-games-of-christmas/.

Walker's Twitter account appears replete with Olivet follows and followers. I'm hesitant to call him a Calvin recruit until we have confirmation that he's attending classes at one institution or the other.

What is strange is his FB profile lists Calvin University under education...

Have enrollments finally shown that Sage W is at Olivet?  His facebook page stills lists Cavlin U (probably out-of-date?).  Another issue raised earlier and never resolved is the question about where Carson Meulenberg is attending this year--returning to Calvin or switching or not even attending college.  Is he back at Calvin?

Jameswys

I almost positive I know who Sage is (there aren't a lot of 6-10 people walking around Olivet) and he was there last week. I'd confidently say he is at Olivet.
Olivet '05

wiz

Quote from: Jameswys on September 07, 2019, 02:20:02 PM
I almost positive I know who Sage is (there aren't a lot of 6-10 people walking around Olivet) and he was there last week. I'd confidently say he is at Olivet.
I walked around Calvin University's campus last week and when I stepped into the arena I spotted several seemingly 6'10" athletes.  And that was just members of the undefeated volleyball team.

formerd3db

Quote from: sflzman on August 29, 2019, 12:03:13 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on August 28, 2019, 08:23:07 PM
Quote from: Knight2Day on August 28, 2019, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: Jameswys on August 26, 2019, 01:26:56 PM
Quote from: Knight2Day on August 25, 2019, 06:16:28 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 24, 2019, 02:42:11 AM
Looks like Calvin vs. Olivet games are going to get a whole lot spicier for the next four years.

Hey, can't turn down a full scholarship and a bag full of money.

Any proof?

Let's put it this way, with the players that have suddenly picked to go to Olivet in the last 2 years, I don't think anyone will be surprised if an ncaa violation comes out.

I would be rather surprised if Sammy jumped at the job knowing that things weren't on the up and up. I get the sense that Olivet does a lot more for students' financial aid than Alma did (athletes and non athletes). Still probably not cheap though.

When you look at it that way everything's a better option than Alma, which is pushing towards $50k a year right now with little financial help without very very high GPA/test score combinations.

I am very late for jumping into this conversation here, so my apologies.  First, good to see you are still around posting on occasion sflzman!  Anyway, just to add to the conversation (and I won't even comment or try to jump in to the portion of the discussion about "creative financial aid" for athletes, as some schools do :o ::)), Alma is already above the $50k mark.  Here are the listed costs for the MIAA schools (I did not include St. Mary's simply since this is the Men's board-and please, no comments on that as I am not being sexist nor intending that to be so) for the 2019-2020 academic year:
(*all figures are directly off each schools official website in the financial section.  These figures include total one year cost of Tuition, Room and Board, Fee i.e. Activity fee for athletics and other student activities, Meal Plan, Books.  Also, I realize that not every undergraduate student will choose to do R&B, Meal plans, etc., however, if a student-athlete chooses to do so and also did not have any financial aid at all-which can happen for some-the total cost would be as listed.)

Kalamazoo: $60,546

Albion: $60,470

Alma: $52,782  (Tuition this year is $41,138, an increase from $37,310 back in 2016-2017; in that regard, all the MIAA schools
                                  have increased in that category by anywhere from $4,000-$6,000)

Adrian: $49,529

Trine: $49,010

Calvin: $46,900  (99% of the students receive some type of financial aid according to Calvin's website)

Hope: $45,410

Olivet: $38,792  (100% of the students receive some type of financial aid according to Olivet's website)

Finlandia: $32,196

Hope and Trine moved down a couple of slots as compared to previous years.  Nonetheless, as we can see, it is not inexpensive for a college education at a 4 year private school even if a student receives financial aid as one of the other posters shared with us.  Ouch! Believe me, I know as our two daughters went to and graduated from Hope and, even at that time, it was a "pocket-drainer!" :)   

Edited to correct Trine's position in the order, which was inadvertently placed in the wrong spot when I initially posted this.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice