MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heythere

what happen to mit big guy Billy Johnson, he was very tough a 6'8 wing man at this level is very hard to find anyone have info on this. without him mit will find it tough to contend for the title

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Johnson's still on the roster, but he hasn't played a minute since the Endicott game.  I assume he's hurt.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hugenerd

He has been at every game sitting on the bench...with a cast on.  I heard he has a stress fracture in his leg.

ramz

Quote from: Gfarls8010 on December 11, 2006, 08:08:16 PM
Votta got cut from the babson team he came in overwieght and out of shape and i also heard he had a bad attitude. My highschool coache used to coach at Babson so that is a good and accrurate source.
Your source is wrong. He was the strongest guard on the team in preseason. Despite injuries to knees and feet, and missing the 1st week, dominated the starting PG in practice. With above mentioned injuries, was cut before the 1st scrimmage (after 5 days)  because Babson coach decided to bring in transfers and freshmen and go in different direction. Would not have looked too good to see him do well. None have stepped up.
Fact is, he was not recruited to Babson, he went there for academics. The coach there is playing his "boys" as he has relationships with the HS coaches in MA. Look at last  years stats in the turnover category. Both played the same minutes, yet current PG had double the TO's. (44 vs. 110!)
This year, without Votta to bail him out, he is at 41 TOs in 8 games--on pace for 135 TO's.
Bad attitude? No, tired of double standard as certain players can miss practice and have GPA's under 2.0 yet they can run the show.
Brennan is on the hot seat with a new AD on board, and hopefully changes will be made. Votta is not the fastest or quickest, but ask Sean Kelly who was one of his toughest opponents. I obviously have a vested interest, but hate to see comments from 3rd or 4th parties without all the facts.

Pat Coleman

I'm not a big fan of spin doctors with an axe to grind either. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

All-around

Im with you Pat. Sounds like a palyer, or parent of a players. Anyways MIT also lost another big guy from last year with a last name Soumare or something like that. I big African kid with a lot of potential, anyone know what happened to him?

ramz

Pat, I responded to someone who said he heard from a "good source" once removed that a player was overweight, out of shape and had a bad attitude. If that is not true, why is it an axe to grind? I did not start the conversation, but I guess you would rather hear from someone who knows someone who knows someone else! BTW, this NEWMAC board is so lame and quiet compared to others you should want more people posting ! ;)

ramz

Change of pace...Has there ever been thoughts of NEWMAC teams playing against another NE conference ala Big10/SEC challenge? I realize the schools already play each other throughout the season, but maybe a triple header(have to leave 1 team out each year) in a central or rotating venue could be exciting, and draw some crowds that do not normally go to games.(alumni with kids, etc.) Too much planning to pull this off?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ramz on December 21, 2006, 04:41:06 PM
The coach there is playing his "boys" as he has relationships with the HS coaches in MA.
Bad attitude? No, tired of double standard as certain players can miss practice and have GPA's under 2.0 yet they can run the show.
Brennan is on the hot seat with a new AD on board, and hopefully changes will be made.
I obviously have a vested interest, but hate to see comments from 3rd or 4th parties without all the facts.

Yet you seem to be interested in making third party comments of your own. That was why I called you on it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ramz

TRUCE!!! I am close to the situation, and obviously frustrated by it; sometimes typing finger(s) lets off too much steam...

10d310

i think it's time I come on the board and set things straight...this is David Votta....i don't read these things much anymore but I heard that I was the topic of conversation so I thought I'd set things straight....first off the comment about me being fat and overweight by Damien Farley (yes that's who wrote it) is kinda from left field....his high school source TC the coach at Natick High keeps in touch with Brennan and that's what Steve probally said about me when he asked....I'm not going to sit here and argue that I should be playing or not....but I will say that I love my ex teamates and would do anything to be out there with them...that team meant a lot and still means a lot to me so to say I have a bad attitude towards them kinda hurts...coach Brennen brought in a new point gaurd transfer and was never dropping Norm de Silva so that was that....there wasn't room for me anymore....I came to Babson based on playing for Coach Brennan because I respected the way he handled his program, but I think he's lost touch with his players....i know the team very well and that's a close nit group of guys...they would do anything to win for each other, but they don't feel that way about him...i couldn't really say why because he's a pretty good guy, but I guess people repect loyalty a lot more than he realizes....they have one of the best young basketball minds there as an ast coach, Mike Smiley, who is just going to waste with the way Steve is running things...on top of that all the philosophys of the coaching staff but heads...Gagnon is teaching things like it's still the 70s...the game has changed a lot, but Smiley is stuck to just go along with the flow...it can get confusting for the players though...especially our freshmen last year...hopefully Smiley will find his way out of there and get the opportunity he deserves....as for Steve I think he is on the hot seat there with the new AD he talked about it a lot, but hopefully he'll realize that he's got some talent, some tough kids, and some heart on that team....but if doesn't have there repect they'll continue to underachieve like we did the past few years....hope this clears things up....i'm not closed to never playing again, just looking for a place that needs a transfer point gaurd

atn alum

In reply to a previous message...I asked the MIT folks this during a volleyball season...Soumare is on an academic exchange program (forget with whom) for the year...

dfarley25

i enjoyed that post by David Votta...however...the person that posted that information about him getting cut was actually indeed my brother Griffin Farley a current member and junior on the Natick High School basketball team whose coach is Tim Collins, a former asst. coach at Babson...this is infact Damian Farley speaking, Votta and myself have cleared up any mis-communication there may have been via thefacebook...anyway this will be my first and last post...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL!

hugenerd

Quote from: All-around on December 22, 2006, 06:46:05 PM
Im with you Pat. Sounds like a palyer, or parent of a players. Anyways MIT also lost another big guy from last year with a last name Soumare or something like that. I big African kid with a lot of potential, anyone know what happened to him?

Dou Soumare is not on the roster this year, but should be on it next year.  I believe he is on a study abroad program.  MIT also lost another big man this year, Adam Juneau, who would have been a sophomore but decided to take a year off.  With the injury to Billy Johnson, who doesnt play like a big man anyway, they have only one post player, who is a freshman, Eric Bracht.  Bracht is putting up big numbers, but there is little chance they will achieve what they did last year without some depth in the middle (which Soumare and Juneau would have provided).  It has to be tough to coach at a school where you have some talent, but guys dont play for whatever reason.

hugenerd

Quote from: atnwriter on December 24, 2006, 11:27:23 PM
In reply to a previous message...I asked the MIT folks this during a volleyball season...Soumare is on an academic exchange program (forget with whom) for the year...

UK