2018 West Regional - Spokane, WA

Started by Mike Lehman, May 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

I tell ya!

The West Region is the strongest, most balanced region in the country!

The lower seed beat the higher seed in every game today!

Mike Lehman

Chapman and Redlands face each other again this season. Not sure why the could have drawn some one else..

Let's see who goes 2 and Q 😟😟

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 18, 2018, 07:22:43 AM
Chapman and Redlands face each other again this season. Not sure why the could have drawn some one else..

Let's see who goes 2 and Q 😟😟
Respectfully, and I am not trying to call you out or be disputatious, I cannot see another pairing in the brackets that does not have conference members not meeting in the first or second round, with the 6 teams that were logically sent to Spokane.  If one team wins and another loses, then they are sent to different 2nd round games.  UTD and CTX could meet for the 6th time this year in Game #7 and then again  in Games #10 and #11.

On the Mideast Regional boards, fans were complaining about NCAC members Wooster and Wabash, a #1 and a #8 seed meeting in the first round!

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 17, 2018, 09:23:58 PM
That game is going to haunt Redlands for a while.  UTD was down to their last out, and I believe their last strike, before getting a clutch RBI single to tie the game.  Redlands leads off the bottom of 9 with a double and three straight hitters fail to move the guy.  Great pitching by both teams but just  crushing loss for Redlands.  I think this regional comes down to UTD and TLU...

Looking at the box score, I don't see how Redlands goes from Minjarez to a freshman for the 10th.  Minjarez gives them the best chance of holding on and was at 114 pitches.  Obviously I don't know the reasoning and never will, I just feel like that should have been his game to win/lose.

Just_Some_Guy

Was nice to see UT Tyler pick up the dubya against Aurora as well.

To your point, Ralph, I've always thought the West was one of the most talented and deepest regions.

What seemed to hold them back in their title drought from '04 to '13 was that they didn't have to develop as much pitching in the warmer climates/games spread out.

You see a lot of these teams have formidable #1 and #2's w/ and okay #3 and 1-2 guys in the pen. (And it's just not enough when you run into a true 4-man rotation + 2-3 arms in the pen in the 6+ team tournament format).

-JSG

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on May 18, 2018, 10:05:13 AM
Was nice to see UT Tyler pick up the dubya against Aurora as well.

To your point, Ralph, I've always thought the West was one of the most talented and deepest regions.

What seemed to hold them back in their title drought from '04 to '13 was that they didn't have to develop as much pitching in the warmer climates/games spread out.

You see a lot of these teams have formidable #1 and #2's w/ and okay #3 and 1-2 guys in the pen. (And it's just not enough when you run into a true 4-man rotation + 2-3 arms in the pen in the 6+ team tournament format).

-JSG
Thanks for the comment. You are right on.

Next season, D-3 moves to a super regional format, so we lose the 6- and 8- team opening week regionals. That may hurt us a bit.

One other thing that we have seen develop across the region is a significant number of  coaches scheduling good non-conference teams. I give credit to Coach Boggs for seeking out quality non-conference opponents for he Pool C bids in 2017 and 2018.

Even making sure that a team plays the quality teams in Arizona in February,
or bringing a northern team to Texas on a spring trip for several games,
or going to Sauget IL to play Concordia-Chicago and Webster, as CTX did
or UT-Dallas going to play a DH against Wash U St Louis at Hendrix as UTDallas did
helps chances at an at-large bid.

Just_Some_Guy

If Concordia beats Willamette, how does the bracket change?

There's no current 'path' for the Game 5 loser should said loser only have 1 loss.

Thanks for clarification in advance.

JSG

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on May 18, 2018, 05:42:53 PM
If Concordia beats Willamette, how does the bracket change?

There's no current 'path' for the Game 5 loser should said loser only have 1 loss.

Thanks for clarification in advance.

JSG
The handbook has a bracket for 5 surviving teams after Game #6 on page 15.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIIIMBA_PreChampsManual_20180302.pdf

Ralph Turner

Willamette pulled the pitcher with 2 on, 1 out and a 5-2 lead in the 5th.

Poor guy, 2 outs shy of being the pitcher of record.

(The 3,4,5 batters are up next.)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 18, 2018, 08:26:34 PM
Willamette pulled the pitcher with 2 on, 1 out and a 5-2 lead in the 5th.

Poor guy, 2 outs shy of being the pitcher of record.

(The 3,4,5 batters are up next.)

On the other hand, with only two on and a three run lead when he was pulled, he can't be the losing pitcher! ;)

TexasBB

In the Central Regional, UTT came all the back through the loser's bracket in an 8 team regional and will play Rhodes tomorrow for the Championship. They avenged an earlier loss to UW Whitewater wining 4-1 just after they eliminated the top seeded team Webster. The played and won 3 elimination games in a row. Now have to win 2 more. Not sure who is able to pitch as they have already played 5 games.

bzzboyz

Congrats. TLU. It's been a long time coming.