FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: Kovo on September 14, 2020, 07:59:30 AM
Quote from: kiko on September 13, 2020, 10:29:22 PM
Sooo..... welcome to Bell week?  :(

OK---I will take the bait, even though I shouldn't .

But 1st of all, why is a big rivalry game scheduled for September?!  I know, I know, it's D3 and it doesn't matter blah. blah. blah........

But more importantly, why aren't young healthy men playing football in Illinois and Wisconsin?!  I know, I know, it's D3 and they don't have enough testing contact tracing etc.  Yet, high school football goes on throughout the State of Florida (as did the Junior Olympics), and I can't tell you how many high school and college games I watched this weekend (is the Big 12 really that bad?).  I suppose lots of the football players who played this weekend will soon be sick and die (interestingly the Junior Olympics held in August with 10,000 attendees had zero impact on the virus numbers in Brevard County).  Then again probably not.  What a terrible disservice to the entire young generation, this being one example.

If we aren't careful the restless youth are going to boil over and burn the cities........oh wait-----never mind.

UPDATE: Big Ten football starts October 24.  At least D1 football can no longer perpetuate the charade that it is not a business, and it is about educating young men.  Or perhaps 11 Presidents want to admit that they were wrong.  Too bad D3 can't reverse themselves, but not enough buckets of money to correct past mistakes.

I'm glad D3 football isn't playing right now. If the other sports can't play (with significantly less contact), then neither should football. The about-face by Big Ten shows what a sham D1 has become. I'd rather keep D3 the way it is and not replicate D1's lack of concern for anything other than their self-regard and pocketbook.
The big D1 conferences can do anything they want because money solves all problems. D3 does not have that luxury. There will be a number of small schools that will have to suspend operations or close permanently due to the pandemic's financial fallout. Comparing D3 situation to D1 is likening apples to mastodons.

Kovo

Quote from: blue_jays on September 16, 2020, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: Kovo on September 14, 2020, 07:59:30 AM
Quote from: kiko on September 13, 2020, 10:29:22 PM
Sooo..... welcome to Bell week?  :(

OK---I will take the bait, even though I shouldn't .

But 1st of all, why is a big rivalry game scheduled for September?!  I know, I know, it's D3 and it doesn't matter blah. blah. blah........

But more importantly, why aren't young healthy men playing football in Illinois and Wisconsin?!  I know, I know, it's D3 and they don't have enough testing contact tracing etc.  Yet, high school football goes on throughout the State of Florida (as did the Junior Olympics), and I can't tell you how many high school and college games I watched this weekend (is the Big 12 really that bad?).  I suppose lots of the football players who played this weekend will soon be sick and die (interestingly the Junior Olympics held in August with 10,000 attendees had zero impact on the virus numbers in Brevard County).  Then again probably not.  What a terrible disservice to the entire young generation, this being one example.

If we aren't careful the restless youth are going to boil over and burn the cities........oh wait-----never mind.

UPDATE: Big Ten football starts October 24.  At least D1 football can no longer perpetuate the charade that it is not a business, and it is about educating young men.  Or perhaps 11 Presidents want to admit that they were wrong.  Too bad D3 can't reverse themselves, but not enough buckets of money to correct past mistakes.

I'm glad D3 football isn't playing right now. If the other sports can't play (with significantly less contact), then neither should football. The about-face by Big Ten shows what a sham D1 has become. I'd rather keep D3 the way it is and not replicate D1's lack of concern for anything other than their self-regard and pocketbook.
The big D1 conferences can do anything they want because money solves all problems. D3 does not have that luxury. There will be a number of small schools that will have to suspend operations or close permanently due to the pandemic's financial fallout. Comparing D3 situation to D1 is likening apples to mastodons.

Remind me why other sports can't play?! ??? ??? ???

I live in Florida, ALL of the sports are playing at the high school level btw.

USee

There are a number of sports that are modeling the correct way to return to play and I think the Big Ten has seen that and is moving ahead. I think it makes sense with the current ability to test and contact trace. We haven't seen widespread infections in these "bubbles" at this point. I am cautiously optimistic.

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

Gotberg

Quote from: jaybird44 on September 24, 2020, 06:08:01 PM
Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

The son of former NPU all-cciw receiver Jeff Manz has Rett.  One of only about 50 boys across the world:

https://www.amissionformadden.com/?page_id=899
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

jaybird44

Glad you mentioned the Manz family...I have exchanged email a couple of times with them and follow Madden's battle.  Madden is certainly a warrior, trying to beat the odds of a very short life expectancy for boys with Rett.  A boy from Imperial, Missouri on the southern edge of the St. Louis area passed away at the age of 3 in August, due to complications from Rett.

Rett is very rare, with 1 in 10,000 girls on average getting the disorder.  And, as you mentioned, it is far more rare among boys.

It is devastating to families, often forcing one parent to give up a career to be a stay-at-home caregiver...since those with Rett have frequent seizures.  Add COVID-19 to the mix, and the lone parent's employment could be at risk during the pandemic.

We need to buy Rett a one-way ticket to another galaxy...

USee

Front page news:

Coast Guard and Merchant Marines will have a 1 game season in their rivalry game. (https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/09/cup-rivals-set-to-meet-in-2020)

How about it NCC and Wheaton? 1 game for the Bell in 2020? No one loses eligibility, no hotel, no fans, just a couple great teams going at it for a legendary local trophy.

This is what D3 needs! Let's make it happen!

New Tradition

Quote from: USee on September 28, 2020, 10:24:07 AM
Front page news:

Coast Guard and Merchant Marines will have a 1 game season in their rivalry game. (https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/09/cup-rivals-set-to-meet-in-2020)

How about it NCC and Wheaton? 1 game for the Bell in 2020? No one loses eligibility, no hotel, no fans, just a couple great teams going at it for a legendary local trophy.

Man, would this be awesome. 
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Kovo

Quote from: New Tradition on October 05, 2020, 04:12:59 PM
Quote from: USee on September 28, 2020, 10:24:07 AM
Front page news:

Man, would this be awesome.

It would be awesome, even without fans.

I saw that Trine defeated Adrian in the first D3 game of the year.  Kudos to those schools.  It takes a lot of guts not to stay with the flock.

matblake

Payton Thorne, son of Jeff now on the field for Michigan State at QB.

USee

Copy and paste from BBall board:

Quote from: Titan Q on December 01, 2020, 03:10:23 PM
Pat and the D3hoops.com crew need our help...

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/12/d3sports-needs-your-help

I signed up for 1 of the 4 levels today...hope you will consider doing the same.

Thanks!

Let's go boys. Time to pony up. I'm in.

Titan Q

IWU got a commitment from Ryan Saxe, a QB from Fremd HS.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9549472/5d7d479a5ef708116c2a9192

He had several D2 offers.  Sounds like a good one for the Titans.

devildog29

Not a lot happening right now in CCIW land, so from a loosely associated D3 connection, interesting to see the beats all talking about Leipold as a top candidate for the I-L-L job.  Personally, and from a more direct CCIW association, Jeff Monken would be cool to see, though I'm not sure how service school recruiting would translate to B10.
Hail, Hail, the gang's all here, all out for Wesleyan!